Rear Spring KTM 990 R-2012

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jamie1, Nov 21, 2019.

1. jamie1

jamie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Apologies in advance- suspension baffles me. I have read a number of threads but am still unsure what I am looking for....

So I have an issue with the stock rear shock bottoming out. We do alot of two up riding heavily loaded, and on some very rough roads. I am sure the best option is to go to a suspension wizard and splash cash on a specific suspension setup. BUT I am looking for an alternative for now.

On the stock rear shock on the R model, is there a "heavier" spring I can fit straight on for now, assuming the shock is otherwise in good condition? What are the options and where is the best place to buy in the US (ideally near SF as I have someone that can bring it over for me soon).

Thanks in advance.
  2. jamie1

jamie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry...Near San Fransisco....
  3. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. CC Ryder

CC Ryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you cranked up the pre-load on the spring? Crank that thing several turns.. Big black knob that folds out to make adjustments.. on the fly if you like.
  5. jamie1

jamie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah fiddled with the setup plenty. Other thing that is definitely making a difference is that I have the Rade underseat tank fitted, so lost some clearance there too. Not very comforting feeling a rear knobbly rasping against a fuel tank, whilst sending shock waves through your spine!
  6. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put your passenger on the back and check sag with the preload cranked up. If you are in the 30-40% of total travel range, it's likely close enough. If your sag is okay, I wouldn't mess with the spring. The stock 150kg spring is pretty stiff to start with. Crank the high speed compression damping in a bit and add a few more clicks of low speed compression damping and see if that helps. Sounds like you are fighting damping as much as you are spring rate.
  7. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found this video usefull to see what i had to do :)

MOTOTREK :)