Reasons for Cruise Control Failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 15, 2020.

1. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had the rear brake recall done and now my cruise doesn't work. Any guesses? I am going to take it back for them to dig into but the obvious quick checks (brake light switch, checking for codes etc.) didn't yield any results.
  2. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the dealer hooked up the bike to their computer, it may have updated the software and wrote over the Cruise option? It may have to be re-enabled.
  3. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been having an issue with my cruise control ever since they installed it (the day after purchase). The replaced the controller which did not fix it. The KTM rep supposedly looked at the ECU remotely for two hours and then decided it was a programming issue. He told the dealer he would call back the next day. A week went by with no call back and the dealer unable to get in touch with him. Finally they said he would look at my ECU again the next day, last Saturday. The next day the rep looked at the ECU again remotely and decided the throttle was the problem. They ordered a throttle and changed it out. they called me yesterday and told me it was fixed. They kept the bike to fix an oil leak and it was supposed to be ready today. i just received a call from the service manager who told me that he rode the bike home during lunch to test the cruise control and it is acting up again.

Another guy on this forum had issues with the traction control light coming on, after KTM threw parts at the problem, they ended up replacing the entire wiring harness. I'm still waiting to see if that solution works in the long term but for now he said it's good.

Good luck on getting your cruise control fixed. This cruise control issue is getting to be a common theme. I don't suspect that mine will be fixed anytime soon since they have NO CLUE what is causing it. Learned about KTM's "annoyances" the hard way. I will never buy another KTM!!!
  4. sims159914

Oddometer:
    well that makes me feel better :(
  5. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since everyone knows that owning a KTM as an excruciatingly painful experience, KTM needs someone to describe the feelings of suffering that inevitably accompany KTM ownership. So rather than selling the bike and choosing a toy that brings him more joy, @Tigerkf is practicing his new self-appointed role as KTM consumer rider advocate victim.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  6. octagonpilot

octagonpilot _________________

Oddometer:
    Tigerkf is not alone in his frustrations. I’ll leave it at that.

Mine are possibly more centered on my local dealer, but the mothership has their issues.
    ADV890R, PomInOz_ and lithodave like this.
  7. sims159914

Oddometer:

BWHAHAH I guess I'm now part of the club. Fingers crossed its something stupid.
  8. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There you are! What took the internet bullies so long to come out? Yet another post that you have to attack someone else's opinion. Where are your cohorts? I'm sure they'll be here soon to join in. You can't go jumping on someone who can fight back by yourself! You need your buddies, lest the tide change against you and you find yourself in over your head. You better PM them for backup! Although I don't have all day to post on the forum like you obviously do, I won't roll over and take it like most of the people I've seen you bully around here. I'm not that guy! You just think everyone will roll over when you start throwing your bravado around but you are sadly mistaken in my case! The fact that the moderators let you continue your attacks on people who are unwilling to fight back is beyond me. I don't need moderators to fight my fights. I suspect this will draw your little High School buddies out of the woodworks. "Oh he's mad" and snide little petty comments just like when you were in school.

FYI, I am not the kid who flushed your head in the toilet when you were in school! There is no need to take it out on me but if you feel the need, I'm game anywhere, anytime!

So, I should sell a bike that's brand new instead of expecting it to work properly? Makes sense to me!

Why don't you go back to tripping nerds in the hallway and shoving them in lockers and leave other people to their opinions!
    ADV890R, Oeths, lithodave and 3 others like this.
  9. TimC63

TimC63 BDR Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!
    CarterFury and Nowwhat like this.
  10. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to post something about acting our ages...but I think I’ll just hit the ignore button and move on with my life. There are worse things in the world.........
    CarterFury, Nowwhat and BobcatSig like this.
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've been kind of sad I'm likely not going to be able to get cc ever work in my non-tc/abs/o2 solution - but it seems 790 cc is just an urban legend like tps :lol3
    Nowwhat, nilster and MeVoGTC like this.
  12. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :fpalm:rofl
  13. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it is, but I'll ask anyways. Is MTC enabled?

FWIW my cruise control didn't work initially and the brake light was always on. While waiting to get it scheduled for repair I pulled apart the headlight assembly to install grip heaters and when I put it all together the CC and brake light worked. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but it's continued working for 2500+ miles.
  14. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    If you're wondering where the bully is in this scenario, you might want to check the nearest mirror.
    CarterFury likes this.
  15. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Tigerkf likes this.
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are embarrassing yourself... again
  17. sims159914

Oddometer:
    Can we get this back on track please?
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What does the CC indicator do when you slide the button to the left? Possibilities (as far as I know) are: Turns solid yellow, flashes yellow, turns green.
  19. sims159914

Oddometer:
    Solid yellow
  20. TimC63

TimC63 BDR Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moving the switch to the left is the on/off toggle. Turns the system on, shown by solid yellow.

I cannot think of a condition where "left" would cause a green indicator, as the on/off function would never engage the cc.

Flashing yellow? Maybe a fault indicator? (Thankfully I have never seen that!)

***Side note - On Monday I found myself with flat front tire and no other reasonable option but to sacrifice the front Karoo and gently ride out of the woods and then on the shoulder of the road for about 40 miles to the ferry terminal. 35mph was the sweet spot on pavement where the head shake would go away and I didn't feel I was going to blow the tire off the bead and die! Tying this into the CC topic, at 35 mph with a flat front tire, CC would not engage. (Tried it to keep me from drifting UP in speed as I rode the shoulder of the road!) I THINK this was due to the MTC sensing different front-to-rear wheel speeds. I thought of that when noticing that the speedo was farther off from the speed shown on my GPS than normal... yet rear wheel speed would have been unaffected...??? Big Brother (KTM electronics) is looking over your shoulder... :ear