Reasons for Cruise Control Failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 15, 2020.

1. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following this thread for info.

I purchased and installed the left switch gear (Hardware) over last winter. I delivered the bike to the dealer in May to have the software installed when they presented me a service builtin regarding both the cruise software and the quickshifter. According to the dealer, the software is somehow corrupt and they cannot install this software until further notice. I have yet to hear from them.

Could this be related?

Edit: Why are Rally owners exempt from this? What is different in terms of engine management? Why can't they just load the Rally software?

https://advrider.com/f/threads/790-adventure-quickshifter-yes-or-no.1420768/page-10#post-39945036
  2. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone posted that they got asked the dealer to check on the CC software install last week and they were able to do it. The dealer claimed that no one at KTM notified them they had become available.
  3. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I’ll be the one to say it. Somebody needs to carry a plug kit. :1drink
    marchyman and braaap! like this.
  4. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is what I am leaning towards. I hope they can just reinstall. Of course I will have to likely prove to them that I had it in the first place as i bought the bike second hand.
  5. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know where the bike was purchased new? If your dealer can’t pull it up on their KTM software to prove purchase, maybe you can contact the original dealer and ask them if they can find it from your vin number...just a thought....
  6. RTexasGallery

RTexasGallery n00b

Oddometer:
    I know you will figure it out. You are a technical genius!
    Tigerkf likes this.
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    My... this escalated quickly.

It's important to note that not all dealers are created equally. While details are short, I would be that the dealer has as much to do with this as it does with the KTM mothership.
    CarterFury likes this.
  8. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with the service manager about the bulletin and he told me the bulletin has since been rescinded. Who knows? I also called KTM customer service about the bulletin and they said they were not familiar with it but would get back with me.

Their latest thought on my CC issue was a bad throttle. They replaced the throttle but it did not resolve the problem. The Service manager said it's throwing some strange engine fault code but they are unsure what is causing it. Sometimes the yellow CC light comes on and the CC will engage, other times the yellow light comes on and CC will not engage and still other times the CC light does not come on at all. They did install quickshifter for me, not sure if they thought that might resolve the CC issue or not. He said he will update me when he finds out what the next step is.
  9. jackhammer50

jackhammer50 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just brought home a new 790R yesterday.

I had the dealer activate the cruise control and quick shifter, and he installed the correct switch control for the cruise. He told me the cruise control might not work until the the first service was done due to KTM not wanting the bike to be run at the same RPM for long periods of time during the break-in period.

That's all I can add for now.
  10. TimC63

TimC63 BDR Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, Shaft, you always have the option of being the first!

However, sometimes there is more to know, as I hope the picture provides. Now then, I would be much more open to hearing you say - "Hey I've got a really special plug kit that would fix that!" OR "Yo, somebody needs to take that rocky stuff slower or run more tire pressure Dude!"

Or even better - "Hey Tim, you're lucky you didn't bend your rim! :doh

It's all fun and games... thanks for the reply!
    TC

Attached Files:

Nowwhat likes this.
  11. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 200% faith in my dealer. They are def above average in capability.
  12. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is nasty. At least you ruined a tire that was really no good even brand new, so not a big loss.
  13. TimC63

TimC63 BDR Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    "That is nasty. At least you ruined a tire that was really no good even brand new, so not a big loss."

Yup! Really glad I didn't bend the rim. The bike bombs through the rough so effortlessly, I forget how much heft it carries! Trying Michelin Anakee Wilds, read good stuff about them.

BACK ON TOPIC :jack
    The cc does monitor so many systems, including front v. rear wheel speed, it seems to give us some grief when the stars are not aligned! Hope KTM gets the system sorted out for you guys, its a nice feature!

TC
  14. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So KTMs latest thought was to overnight the dealer a “tested” rear brake light which they thought might fix the problem. Brake light was replaced yesterday and bike was test rode yesterday and this morning. Cruise control quit working and engine is throwing a mysterious fault code! KTM has not responded to them about this development yet. I’ll update once they do!
    sims159914 likes this.
  15. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    What a pain
    mokibear likes this.
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    FIFY :lol3
    CaseyB and lithodave like this.
  17. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM tech arrived in town today and will be at the dealer tomorrow working on my bike. I will update once they give me more information.
  18. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    my cruise control didn't work when bike was first purchased.

the cc would turn on (yellow light) and off
    but would not activate(green light)
    when yellow
    the speed shown was 0 kmph,

anyway my tech did every possible thing to check why it was not working
    rear brake light, sensors clutch, front brake, rear brake etc etc. even hooked up to ktm.nl computer but couldn't find anything
    in the end we decided to wait till the 1000km service and if they still couldn't get it working they would hook up to the Computer in Austria where the engineer from Ktm can see a lot more on his PC.

so the day came within 2 weeks
    for the 1000km service
    went through all the checks again
    he even put in different wheels from another R (I didn't have stock tyres)
    but that didn't help
    so they contacted Austria and the engineer there connected the bike to his PC
    and he got say 3 faults that my tech couldn't see on his work shop PC
    Austrian cleared them
    and another 6 faults appeared
    Austrian Cleared them
    and another 9 appeared
    enz enz
    all these faults I was lead to believe
    could not be seen on my dealer's PC!!

any way the conclusion was that the dashboard was dying!! (not that you could see anything wrong with the dashboard)
    any way the tech installed a new Dashboard(luckily the dashboard have problems so the have a few new ones in stock;) )

tech took it for a spin
    came back
    IT WORKED
    so in my case
    log on to ktm Austria
    and replace dashboard
    solved the issue.

good luck
    with sorting it out.
    sims159914 likes this.
  19. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just took my bike in to have the long awaited Cruise Control uploaded. This has been a 9 month process. The KTM tech brought the bike in, took the seat off, then spent 45 minutes on the computer. He called me in to tell me that the "Bulletin" had not cleared. There was nowhere on KTM's system that allows the purchase and upload of software for both the cruise control and the quick shifter. He showed me the screen. I was told these are 790 Rally features and are not available for the 790R at this time.

I am done with this. No more time will be wasted.
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went in last week and got CC enabled and QS+ re-enabled. My tech had no problem purchasing the CC software. My bike already had QS+ registered to it, so we didn't have to purchase that one, just reflash it because for some reason it disappeared from the menu