1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons for Cruise Control Failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I ask where you are located. Not specifically but what country or state? I wonder if some problems are geographical or if they are all the same. I am optimistic that the Tech will quickly isolate my problem but am not confident.
  2. throttled

throttled derp

Oddometer:
    I just got my software finally done in Canada.. super nice to use on the way to the trails! love the bike, even if the display is starting to get moisture..
  3. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you do this? Here on the east coast of Canada, I literally sat down with the KTM tech and went through the KTM software system and installation tool. It clearly states "unavailable" for the installation files. My tech had nowhere to go.

How did you pay for the installation? Even the installation has no part number on file in Canada. The part number is listed as "N/A."
  4. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the service bulletin someone posted saying not to sell the CC or Quick shifter but was told both by KTM and my dealer that the bulletin has been cancelled or superseded months ago. Not sure if that's related to the problems your tech is having.
  5. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m curious if the software updates are considered essential tool purchases for dealers, and the owner is pinching pennies and hasn’t purchased the next upgrade package for the computer with the bulletin removed/updated. I know MFRs make dealers purchase tools as part of their franchise agreement, and most owners are cheap(been my experience in 2/3 of the shops I’ve worked in). In the tech’s defense, they are usually not part of the conversation.....Just a thought. I never worked for KTM dealers, but have Japanese and Indian motorcycles....
    Tigerkf likes this.
  6. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM tech has been working on my bike for the last two days. The dealer told me the tech would be here until he get's the bike fixed.
  7. masione

masione masione

Oddometer:
    The CC switch I installed on my new 790R would not operate (0 mph displayed ) until the KTM service tech replaced the faulty front brake switch under warranty. That was less tha 2 months ago. Went to ride it on Sunday and the brake lights are malfunctioning again (always on) and the CC is not working again. Evidently KTM has NOT corrected this known issue of faulty front brake light switches because the tech tells me the part # has not been changed. Meawhile, I will have to do a 140 mile round trip ride to the dealership and sit out in the hot sun while it is repaired cause the showroom is closed due to Civid-19. Again!
    I like this bike but I am going to research the lemon laws in my state...
    Tigerkf likes this.
  8. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Here's a thought, replace the switch yourself. It's not difficult. Remove the fuel tank, the switches are on top of the ABS unit, easy to access, unplug each switch separately to determine which one is defective, and screw a new one on. $15.99 from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039ZS0W8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20190825_095837.jpg
  9. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know how that goes! I'm in a similar boat!
  10. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Wow, my issue isn't nearly as bad as all of yours. My CC just has a habit of cancelling when I got over large bumps on our shitty SoCal Highways. It always reactivates once I push the little CC toggle up again. This would be only a minor inconvenience, if it were not for my habit of taking my right hand off the handlebar when using CC; former wrist injury necessitates giving my right wrist a break every now and then.
  11. throttled

throttled derp

Oddometer:
    I was about the 4th one they had done this week.. Sorry took so long to reply as wasn't on the forum.. They said it is now working as normal again and as soon as they installed it, I paid for it.. Don't have the specifics.

edit: my invoice has this part number. - 63500980000
  12. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    This seems to be a design feature. I noticed it right away, as the roads out to some of my riding areas are pretty bumpy. Some have suggested it occurs when the rear wheel leaves the ground, and the TCS detects wheel slippage, but I believe it's the G-sensor that kicks the CC off above a certain level of downward G-force.
  13. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'm certain it has to do with the MTC system, I should try riding over known bad spots with TC turned off. This symptom has definitely become more pronounced when I put the new Mitas E-07s on, which have significantly less road grip than the Trail Riders that come on the base model; this makes me believe it's related to the system registering just a hair of rear wheel slip. Wish is was less sensitive.
  14. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dealer called me this afternoon and told me that bike was fixed. He said the KTM tech replaced a different brake switch than the one they already replaced. I'm not sure exactly what he was talking about but I'll pick it up tomorrow and test it out. I plan on doing a long ride near the dealer so that way if it quits working again I want have far to go to drop it back off. It doesn't make sense to me that the brake switch would keep the CC from turning on at all. I know it will keep you from being able to set it but I didn't think it would keep the light from coming on at all. Fingers crossed that it works now!
    sims159914 likes this.
  15. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually it does make sense.
    The brake switches are what the tell the ECU you are braking, whether it is true (switch working) or false (switch defective).
    Try to activate the CC of your car whilst braking and see what happen.
    comradecasey likes this.
  16. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe there was a miscommunication I agree the brake will keep the CC from activating not the system turning on. I'm saying sometimes the light would not even come on to attempt to activate. I can hold the brake on in my truck or any of the vehicles I've had and hit the ON button and the light will come on. If I then try to activate it with the brakes on it will not activate. There is a difference between the light coming on saying the system is on and actually setting the cruise control. On my bike the light wouldn't even come on.

In other news, after picking up my bike today, I put some miles on it to test that the cruise control was actually working properly and that the Techs fix worked. It seems to be working so far. They washed the bike before I picked it up so I had condensation in the TFT screen. I called the dealer who said he would order another one today. I then continued riding until the bike started bogging down as if I was out of fuel. I double checked my fuel gauge and it read 1/2 tank and 80 miles to empty. It gradually got worse so I pulled over. I tried to see if I could hear fuel down in the tanks but as you know its way down there. I tried to restart the bike but it would not start. I decided the gauge must not be working and called someone to bring me some fuel. I put two gallons in and it started and I made it home.

After arriving home, I dropped the skid plate to se if they forgot to plug the sensors back into the bottom of the tank. Both sensors were plugged in. Maybe the system needs to be reset since the sensors were unplugged.
    Salzig and sims159914 like this.
  17. WI-790R

WI-790R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding running out of fuel: Had the dealership remembered to open both petcocks?
    CaseyB and AdvRonski like this.
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were both open and I did a lot of miles before it occurred. If they were closed it wouldn't have made it very far.
  19. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I had exactly the same symptoms as tigerkf described. I opened the petcock on the right side and everything was fine again. Dealer had left it closed.

As for the CC: I checked and on my bike CC will go into standby with both brakes engaged. Also with the clutch pulled in.
    Tigerkf likes this.
  20. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I had both the CC and quick shifter added to the bike before I took delivery of it. No indication from anyone at the dealer that it would be an issue. Both have functioned fine in the 3000 kms since. Other than the CC does not like the "off road" ride mode.