Reasons for Cruise Control Failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 15, 2020.

1. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right. In this case the petcocks don’t directly prevent fuel flow to the injection system (like on most bikes), they are located at each end of a balance hose that allows fuel to flow from side to side. So with the petcock closed on the side opposite the internal fuel pickup, it will “run out of gas” with the other side holding all its fuel.
  2. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that happens, how much unused fuel would be in said tank? Where is the petcock you're referring to is it accessible with the tank on or is it under the tank?
  3. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    If you close the petcock on the right side, fuel cannot go from the right lobe to the left. The pump pulls fuel from the left side so the engine will run until the left tank lobe is empty. The fuel level sensor is in the right lobe so it won't show any decrease in fuel level. This is what I experienced. The engine started to behave like it was out of gas but the gauge still showed >1/2 tank. This is how I figured out that the right side petcock was closed.

The petcock is at the bottom of the tank. You can reach it in between the tank guard and the tank without removing the guard.

I think if you close the petcock on the left it shuts off the fuel completely.
  4. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is when I ran out of fuel with the gauge still reading 1/2, I could only put 4.1 gallons in the tank. I'm wondering if there would only be around a gallon left in the unused tank?
  5. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    The fuel gauge only shows the last 1/2 tank. Assuming everything is working properly and starting with a full tank, you will not see any change in the fuel indicator until the fuel level is less than 1/2 tank. Those 5 segments in the indicator represent the last 1/2 tank or 0.5x5.3 = 2.65 gallons, which is .53 gallons per segment. So if you were seeing only 2 or 3 segments indicated then you only had somewhere between 1 and 1.5 gallons left and it makes sense that it would take about 4.1 gallons to refill.
    CarterFury likes this.
  6. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is what my fuel gauge read when I ran out of fuel.

Fuel Gauge.jpg
  7. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. My bike was delivered to me a year ago this month with the right petcock closed. I ran out of fuel trying to get home after a dinner the evening I picked up the bike. Hadn't a clue about the petcocks having only owned the bike for a few hours. My instrument panel read 1/2 or more remaining with a fuel range of > 110 miles.
  10. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Getting this back on topic and a bit of an update...

Bad news: all of the parameters on the bike are in spec. Shop spent a while on the phone with ktm who advised to give changing the front brake light switch a try. No luck. Seems we will be chasing a ghost issue here.

Good news: the shop is awesome. Also ktm is going to warranty even though bike was 2 months outside of factory warranty. Also shop loaded the QS as a “sorry you have to go through this crap” bonus.

I’ll come back with a update when I have one. They are awaiting a call from ktm to try again on another fix.
    CarterFury and Wearyeyed like this.
  11. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FIXED!

So in my case it was the clutch switch that was the issue. While all of the electrical parameters checked out on the bike one of the wires going to the clutch switch was ever so slightly loose and when pulled on came right out of the switch. The only indication that the clutch switch could have been an issue is that the bike wouldn’t start in first with the clutch in and the kickstand up.

Hope this helps someone else down the line.
    Crusty the Clown likes this.
  12. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    It may have been the only indication, but it's a big one. A good tech should have found that in less than 5 minutes. It's like saying, " I know the oil light was on, but other than that, there was no indication that the engine was going to blow up".
    brianbrannon likes this.
  13. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harsh but accurate. LOL.
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Well add me to the list. CC died a a bit ago. Goes solid yellow when activated but shows zero mph on the cc readout on the dash when moving at any speed and cant be set. Just failed out of the blue while tooling down the interstate.

Could have picked a better time to fail. :(

Guess I'll find out how much some nerve damage in my throttle hand wants to play up in the next few days. Maybe it will change its mind and start working again. *shrug*

Gotta love KTMs attention to the details... lol.
    Tigerkf likes this.
  15. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Bummer, that is shite timing for your long trip.
    I've thought of this happening and possible backup for 10000 km worth of highway.....

If you get a short bungee, you can at least have a makeshift throttle lock wrapping it around a mirror stalk or similar to provide enough friction on the throttle.
    Poor replacement for real CC, but better than nothing.
    windblown101 likes this.
  16. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    a dying TFT was my cause of cc not working(a tech logged in from ktm Austria discovered this, they can see a lot more than a dealer tech)
    all the usual suspects were not a problem in my case
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    That might be it. After my next fuel stop it decided to start working again.
  18. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine will occasionally do this...it will not let me set a speed setpoint. Had it back to the dealer, they re-flashed it. It still does it now and then. I found through experimentation, that if I reboot the ecu by turning the key switch to off, waiting a few seconds for capacitors to discharge, then restarting the bike, it will usually then work again. I’d be interested in knowing if that works for you.
  19. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know.
  20. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After being at the dealer for a few weeks and flying in a KTM tech they were unable to figure out what was wrong with my CC. Finally the techs in Austria decided that a brake switch that had previously been replaced was replaced with a bad switch. After they replaced the switch a second time, it works as its supposed to. I had some of the same symptoms you have. Good luck!
    CarterFury likes this.