Reasons for Cruise Control Failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 15, 2020.

1. tom00013

tom00013 n00b

Oddometer:
    Going through the same issues as tigerkf. First service had cruise installed. Took tech 4 installs to get it working. Left the shop at closing time, no cruise engagement, orange light only. Got home and checked brake lights coming on, kick stand, and clutch starting in gear, etc. all seamed functioning. Two days later and it worked fine all day. The next day, inoperative again. Contacted another dealer to troubleshoot under warranty and they said they would have to charge me labor because another dealer installed it and probably didn’t know what they were doing. After calling ktm east personally, they said it would be covered under warranty regardless of who installed it. Current dealer still made me agree to $120 diagnostic in case ktm refused. I said fine because I just want it working. Got a call on Friday from the dealer, appears they tried multiple installs, ktm tech mirroring their tablet and still couldn’t get it figured out. Ktm was sending their tech to the dealer because apparently he can access more things if he is on site. Waiting patiently for updates now.
  2. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Seems like this has happened enough that KTM (though maybe not an individual dealer) should have learned enough to prevent or quickly fix this.
    CarterFury likes this.
  3. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have same issue, as did another previous 790R owner. He just sold his bike. I gave up thinking the dealer can fix it, so am very interested in any diagnosis of yours. I too checked the clutch and brake light switches. When it fails to engage, if I pull over, turn off bike for a few seconds, then restart, it will generally start working again.
  4. tom00013

tom00013 n00b

Oddometer:
    I also contemplated trading mine in for a t7. I really liked the cruise when it worked though. Was waiting to thrash it off road until I got the cc installed as the closest area for off roading is over an hour away and the cc would make the road portion there and back so much easier. Don’t really need all the traction abs stuff, riding on/off road for over40 years and no longer push the boundaries like I use to as I don’t bounce as good and break a lot easier than when I was younger. Would like to see the t7 come with cc, then I wouldn’t hesitate to trade. I believe most of the cc problems reported have been with all the sensors/switches associated with the traction/abs.
  5. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    McCruise makes a cruise control for the T7.

My CC has been working fine since the last fix. It did act up after I installed some auxiliary brake lights. I quickly determined that the CANBUS system saw the draw of the new lights and it interfered with the CC. I disconnected and all was fine. I still wanted the extra lights so I found a work around by using a low amp switch to activate the new brake lights. The switch only draws 1.2 milliamps which isn't enough to disrupt the CANBUS.
  6. tom00013

tom00013 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dealer called last night and said it was ready for pick up. Service writer was kinda vague on what was done, did say the ktm rep spent the whole day Tuesday on it and then had a brake switch overnighted and installed on Wednesday. Said there was programming problems with bad install/flashing. Don’t know if it was the cc programming/ecu etc. or if they are all one download. I’ll see if they’ll let me quiz the tech when I pick it up.
  7. Tjeepdrv

Tjeepdrv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to leave mine for a few days when I got the CC done. I installed the switch and took it to the dealership to have it flashed. They said my install was fine, but they had to wait for KTM to respond to why it wouldn't work. KTM told them to reflash it and that worked.
  8. tom00013

tom00013 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just got back from my second visit to the dealer today. Talked to service manager, he stated that the ktm rep worked on the bike and not their tech. Service manager said that they had 9 bikes shipped with bad brake sensors. Ktm shipped the dealer new sensors and the customers were notified to bring in the bikes for the repair. Mine was one of the floor models. Apparently they sent defective sensors. He stated that the sensors have a range of acceptable pressure that the ecu looks for, if out of spec, they will not let the cc engage as it thinks one of the brakes is being applied. Left the dealer and cc worked perfect, but quick shift wasn’t working. Attempted to turn it on while driving and it was greyed out. Pulled over and shut everything down and fired it back up and the computer let me select on and off. Turned it on and continued home but it still wasn’t working. Called dealer and they said bring it back and they would reset a qshift. After an hour they brought it back out and said they couldn’t get it working. They gave me the option to leave it or they would contact me when they hear from ktm. Chose to bring it home and ride it for now as the qshift is nice but I don’t have to have it to enjoy my bike.
  9. CarterFury

CarterFury Yee Haw! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure is painful reading how often folks are having challenges with new bikes. Picking mine up tomorrow with new tires (Motoz Desert H/T) and the CC enabled and sure hope I can report back something positive.
    ibgary likes this.
  10. tom00013

tom00013 n00b

Oddometer:
    If I never had the qshift I would be a happy camper with my cc working now, but since I had it for a while, I really miss it. Not totally bummed out because I’m reading all the other posts of people riding the heck out of these bikes and racking up the miles with no issues. Looking forward to getting this all sorted and just enjoying this bike. I was all smiles today, even with the issues so far.
  11. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I shouldnt have revisited this thread. Now my cc and qs+ doesn’t work again. Oh well. At least winter is here.
    kzeb likes this.
  12. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Gotta love the melancholy here :D
  13. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That seems to be a common culprit for CC problems! I very seldom use my quick shifter anyway but like you said since you have you should be able to use it. They may have to re-enter the code to enable it again if they reflashed your ECU. Good luck!
  14. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I would like to point out that the "sensors" on the ABS unit are actually simple on-off pressure switches. In fact, they are pretty much the same as has been used on KTM EXC models for years, just with different wiring connectors. They must have gotten a pretty large batch of defective switches from a vendor at some point, but anyone with this issue could just buy a pair of them from ebay or amazon and install them themselves if you get tired of the dealer flailing around with this issue.
    Riddler990 likes this.
  15. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, this exactly. When my bike, only a few days after purchasing, had the stuck brake light, it went back to the dealer. I had told them that the aftermarket made replacement pressure switches. Well, they let me know the oem switch was on back order for some silly amount of time. I complained about that to the salesman, who said he located one of the back ordered switches at another dealer, had it shipped over night, you know, doing me a big favor. So I get the bike back and the brake light works as normal. Then a month or so later I have the tank off to do some wire routing, and see they installed a Tusk switch; the one I told them about.

I believe the description on the parts finder calls it a “sensor”, when it’s actually a switch as AdvRonski said. I’m guessing that mislabeling by KTM, caused my dealership to believe it was a calibration issue, that a firmware procedure or reflash would fix. That caused a bunch of wasted time. I keep a spare Tusk switch on hand.
    comradecasey likes this.
  16. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scratch that - abs ring was just caked in mud. After a wash it’s rocking again.
  17. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    It’s installed on a KTM.
  18. CarterFury

CarterFury Yee Haw! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So some good news for a change, at least in this thread. Picked up the bike from the dealer on Fri and rode Sat and Sun and tried out the Cruise Control and somehow the QuickShfit was added as well by the dealer...rode on the interstate, hilly roads and levee covered in gravel to get to a local trail and the CC worked just fine in all three situations. Didn't hold the speed as good as my HD CC on the hills but worked just fine to give the right hand a break.

Hope y'all can figure out and get your systems working in the future.
  19. TimTyler

TimTyler Makes MOTOTREK

Oddometer:
    Got a link where these switches can be bought?
  20. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TimTyler likes this.