Reasons for Cruise Control Failure?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Yassine

Yassine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I also have the same issue with this CC. It works and sometimes, it just stays at 0 km/h in Jellow. And impossible to reset or anything.
    My dealer seems to have no idea on where it comes from.
    is it sure that the breakes sensors are the issue ?

V.
    Yassine
  2. tom00013

tom00013 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure if its just brake sensors for the cc problem. They stated it could also be bad download of the program. When I got mine back a week ago, the cc worked perfect, just no quick shift anymore...they replaced 1 brake sensor.

The dealer just called and updated me on the quick shift not working. They could get it working for 1 or 2 shifts then it stopped again. After some attempts at reprogramming the switches ktm decided that it could be 1 of three switches related to the quick shift. They told my dealer to order all 3 and see which one works . Dealer said if the switches were in stock it would take roughly 5 business days but with the holidays it could be longer. They said the ktm rep did not come in this time and they did everything by phone. Hopefully they don't make the cruise stop working by swapping out the switches, before I took it back in, the cc worked flawlessly. Still not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about this bike. Love it when its working but sure is a lot of mystery when things go wrong. Only have 2 ktm dealers near me and both had the same problems with the cc troubleshooting. Now dealer isn't able to troubleshoot the quick shift without KTM NA helping out. Makes you wonder what manuals/programs KTM provides to the dealers for working on these things.
  3. Yassine

Yassine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my bike, but definitely I had so many small issues with it... I am coming from Triumph world... and the quality of the bikes is just no comparison .....
    On quality side, KTM.. is really i big disappointment ... I hope they will find a solution for that .... ( as for un-screwed bolts, fog in the screen, liking front brake reservoir, etc etc ...)
    ibgary likes this.
  4. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting people know. I must have gotten lucky when I ordered mime. That was in the July 2020 timeframe.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

It's been my experience that even well known popular suppliers can totally suck at fixing something they screw up once things go sideways. One popular one with motorcyclists told me they had 4 tires in stock, I ordered them. Then I called a few weeks later and they said they had been mistaken and they were back-ordered for at least a month. I let them know I was taking off on a cross country ride and I would need to get tires elsewhere. They told me no sweat, they would issue a refund, it would just take a few days. I sourced tires elsewhere. Went on my trip, and came back to find 4 tires sitting on my doorstep. They had never issued a refund and had shipped the tires when they arrived. Called them up, they told me "no sweat, we'll email you a return shipping label and refund your money once we get the tires back.

I requested that return label 3 different times and never got it. Never got a refund either. Point being, small outfits often suck on follow through. That's why they will remain small and the ones that get it right grow.
    CarterFury and braaap! like this.
  6. Yassine

Yassine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    quick update:
    I put my bike for the 15k km maintenance.
    I requested also the repair of the cruise control issue. My dealer called KTM in austria and after some discussion, it seems that the sensor is the probleme.
    I will be replaced.
    I keep you posted when I get my bike back to see if I still have the issue or not :)

V
  7. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    These bikes have a lot of sensors, so that information isn’t very helpful.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any word on the rear brake switch/sensor? I often check the brake light before riding. Today I found the rear needs to go down pretty hard to activate the light. Front works with just a touch. Unfortunately due to the grabbing issue on the front brake I now only use it for emergency stops, which leaves me with an intermittently working brake light based on how hard I step on it. ???
    Will it self adjust? Use to activate with about a 1/8" movement. Now takes about 1/2".
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a pressure switch that operates based on the hydraulic pressure in the brake line so if it's not coming on quickly enough the two possibilities I can think of are the pressure switch is now requiring more pressure than it used to in order to activate and should be replaced or for some reason as your brake pads wore there is simply more motion in your brake lever now before the brake pressure rises to the point the switch activates as designed.
    ibgary likes this.
  10. MN rider

MN rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Noticed today my brake light is always on and cc does not work. My rear brake is not dragging and is adjusted properly. I also got the malfunction indicator light on the display, which could be due to a headlight issue I'm having aswell, but has anyone had the light come on when they had the brake light switch fail? Screenshot_20210319-194316~5.png
  11. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @MN rider
    Last summer after just bringing the new bike home, my rear brake light switch failed stuck on also. I disconnected it and finished the 600 miles w/o a rear brake light. The dealership (Rochester) actually installed the Tusk switch, but didn’t fess up to that. I keep a spare on hand: https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Br...d=1&keywords=B0039ZS0W8&qid=1616208821&sr=8-1

I did not have a malfunction indicator show on the display however. The brake light’s been working properly every time I check it, but occasionally the CC fails to set a speed. Turning the bike off for say 5 seconds, then restarting will make the CC work again.
  12. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is issue is quite common and KTM is aware of it. Enough so that I was informed by the dealer when I bought my bike last July that "the brake light switch has already been replaced" alluding to the known brake light switch issue. I subsequently had an issue with the cruise control not working and the bike throwing a "weird" fault code. KTM then sent the dealer a "tested" brake light switch which did not fix the problem. They eventually (after having the bike in the shop about a month) replaced a brake switched that had already been replaced and fixed the cruise control issue.

The quotes denote actual wording used by the dealer and or KTM.
  13. MN rider

Oddometer:
  14. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even though brake light works every time I check it, I wonder if I shouldn’t just replace the front pressure switch (the one that’s still stock) with another Tusk, to see if the occasional CC problem goes away. Are there special tricks to bleeding since it has abs?
  15. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    856C55EF-F074-4684-A0FF-2B871C91D755.jpeg
    Not to speak out-of-turn, but yes, one switch front, one rear.
    AdvRonski and MN rider like this.
  16. MN rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I ended up ordering 2 tusk switches. And a obd adapter from lonelec so I can scan for codes. I'm thinking the cel light might be in relation to the dongle for the canister removal since there is reports of that. I'll put both switches in and hopefully it will be functional.
  17. MN rider

Oddometer:
    Just received the tusk switches. Going to pull the tank tonight. The wires on the tusk switch are not coded, but assume they go a certain way. How should you test the bike and switch side.
  18. MN rider

Oddometer:
    Found it. Screenshot_20210324-161556~2.png
    ibgary likes this.