1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebalance wheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Northern_Rider777, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the middle of changing my sprockets and chain (first time doing it myself). I finally got my rear tire back on (pronghorn strapping the rear brake caliper holder was the third hand I needed) and I noticed it’s not balanced. The weights are at about a 7 o’ clock position.

Is this just the difference between the wheel being on the axle instead of a balance stand? (Just to clarify, haven’t put rotor back on). Would a new sprocket affect the balance?

I don’t own a balance stand. Would you just leave it for now, or try to balance the tire on the axle (in this case, taking a weight off).

thanks!
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I’d balance it on the bike’s axle but out of the swingarm, with or without the sprocket. I did that for many years at my home in North Carolina, and TBH, when I got back to Florida from a trip and rechecked the tire on a regular static balance stand, it has always been pretty close. Nothing noticeable at highway speeds.

FWIW, a couple years ago I picked up a cheap Hazard Fraught balance stand for $25 and keep it at my NC home. I use it now instead of the bikes axle.
  3. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 wheel bearings (yes 3, you are turning the cush drive) do have substantial grease/seal friction that would easily resist a delicate 1-weight equilibrium. Not a good test, imo.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  4. Northern_Rider777

Oddometer:
    I realize it’s less than ideal, but I am in the middle almost nowhere and this is the only vehicle.

So what’s better, leave as is, or balance on the axle out of the swingarm? (thanks for the suggestion Piney)
  5. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    you didn’t say what bike and tire combo, and what kind of riding you do.. if you’re in a hurry just put it back together and ride it, worse case you may notice a tire out of balance, probably not, but you can balance it at your convenience. it won’t blow up :lol3
  6. Northern_Rider777

Oddometer:
    Haha, I’ve got over a lot of noobie jitters of the bike completely exploding (my first chain tension job was like I was performing open heart surgery given my levels of worry).

I ride mostly 2 lane highways around
    60 miles/h, with the occasional dirt/gravel. Every few weeks on the freeway around 70-80 miles/h.

It’s a Kawasaki Versys-X 300 with Shinko 705s front and back.
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  7. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    since you don't have a stand, I would do the best balance you can do on the axle & swingarm. I don't know that bike but if it has a cush drive be sure all the parts are in there when you assemble. nothing holds the cush part and it pulls right out of the main hub. as mentioned there are 3 bearings.... 2 in the hub and one in the cush drive. the important bit is the bushing that goes between the hub and cush... it has a tendency to fall out when those things are apart. if its missing, the hub and cush will grind on each other, and eventually the axle gets loose.

back to the balance.... have all the parts installed, and the chain off. if you can put the wheel in any position and if it does not move on its own its probably OK for a rear. the other way to do it is spin the wheel and make a mark on the bottom when it stops. do that about a dozen times and see if one area gets more hits
  8. Northern_Rider777

Oddometer:
    No cush drive, but I appreciate the info on putting one back together!

Tire def wants to keep moving to the same spot consistently, no matter where I start the spin from.
  9. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been changing tires for years now never bother to balance and no issues. Modern rubber is pretty darn good and once the wheel and valve stem are balanced the first time the tire rarely changes much.

with the wheel on the axle you just as likely hitting a sticky spot in the bearings as a heavy place on the wheel and you haven’t changed balance by swapping sprockets so I wouldn’t mess with it.