1. yair1956

yair1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rebuilt Title in Louisiana, should I have an issue to register in California, would the Title will be marked as a Salvage, and would I be able to get a full insurance coverage ?

Any comments ideas previous experience will be appreciated

Tnx

Yair
  2. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    As long as the speedometer says more than 7500 miles you should be good to go. The DMV in CA will do a full inspection of any out-of-state motorcycle, including the frame VIN and engine serial number.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. yair1956

Oddometer:
    hummmm ... this one is 2017 and the Odometer say 3,500, so no good, ha ???
  4. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest two things

1. Call the Kalifornia Department of Transportation and ask if you bring in an out of state bike with a salvage title can you get a CA title. If so what is the process adn want are the fee's?

2. Call you insurer to see if they'll cover a bike with a salvage title.

We can all speculate but that doesn't un-ring the bell if you get the bike to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and find its uninsurable or you cannot get it title in your name.
    yair1956 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in CA and had two special construction titles. It definitely can be done. Insurance will be a problem. Not worth it to me.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Correct. For some reason that 7500 mile mark is where the DMV considers the bike "used" and will allow it to be registered as such.

Buy a speedo on eBay that says over 7500 would be my course if you MUST have this bike.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    If the vehicle has a California compliant smog sticker the 7500 mile rule does not apply. Yes it will show salvage, yes you can insure it. Also if the vehicle is registered to you in the previous State the 7500 mile rule doesn't apply. Chances are a 2017 has a California compliant sticker.
    el Pete, villageidiot and lewisjr1 like this.
  8. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    False. I had an at-length discussion with the person at the DMV, and had the DMV call me back to confirm data and regardless of the vehicle state or emissions compliance it must have over 7500 miles otherwise it's considered new and must be a CA designated vehicle.

My 1994 Electra Glide Classic had a broken speedo and fairing and was in a very bad state of condition when I trailered it to the DMV. You could see the mileage was 31k, but it was actually 131K. I asked the lady if my bike actually had 106K miles (but the speedo read 6000) could I register it even though it was clearly a CA designated bike from back in 1994 with a current WA title? She said no, and the DMV callback confirmed this.

CA is very myopic on this subject thanks to so many people screwing them over on buying out of state vehicles for cheaper tax breaks.
  9. AndyM

AndyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope. The 7500 mile rule applies to 49 State bikes. If it's a 50 State bike with the right stickers the 7500 mile rule doesn't apply here. Most newer bikes, and I think all newer BMW's , are good to go.
    digger2, kevinA and Chillis like this.
  10. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure BMW has only built to a single, world wide std. for both bikes + cars over quite a few years now; likely this century. Porsche also only builds new models to a single std., save for full-on race cars.

Regardless, every bike BMW has imported into the U.S. has been 50 state compliant for at least a decade. Whether the certifying stickers remain on a salvaged bike may be another matter. BMW NA almost never assists with re-documenting that condition.

While I personally wouldn't buy a salvaged bike sight unseen, I'd at minimum want good, clear photos of those stickers before trying to import such a bike into Californi-stan.
    yair1956 and JimVonBaden like this.
  11. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Look, the OP can do whatever the hell he wants. I did thorough research on this, to a previously CA titled bike with a current WA title, and had great info straight from two sources at the DMV so believe whatever you want. One of the reasons I left that state is all the God forsaken red tape and bureaucracy.
  12. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've sold two bikes with 50 state emissions below 7,500 miles. No issues. 50 state bikes are already CA compliant. No mileage dance required.

Better have those emissions stickers though.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    How To 9
    Register a Vehicle From Out of State
    Nonresident Vehicle Information
    A nonresident vehicle is a vehicle last registered in another state or country.
    Can I Register My Nonresident Vehicle in California?
    Some nonresident vehicles cannot be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). For rules and exceptions, see the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State–Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) Fast Facts brochure.
    Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition. Refer to the Statement of Facts California Non-Certified Vehicle (REG 256F) form for exemptions.
    Requirements to Register a Nonresident Vehicle
    • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form completed and signed by all registered owners. SIMPLY VISIT....... DMV.CA.GOV......I made a business out of reading these requirements. It plainly states 'has 7,500 OR meets Cali smog
  14. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    You must have been the person to sell that fella from CA one of those bikes on ADV who complained about not being able to register it a few months ago then. I forget where the thread went but his beef was nobody told him he couldn't register his newer bike in CA because it had less than 7500 miles.

Besides, emissions isn't the point, it's all about the taxes.
  15. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @villageidiot to the courtesy phone?

@firstshadow to the courtesy phone?

Gents, did you have any issues with the bikes I sold you from out of state below 7,500 miles?
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    nope. Just a vin verification by the dmv/AAA or title company. Then reg it.
    Chillis likes this.
  17. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    When I moved to San Diego in 2015 I had two new to me vehicles, a 2013 Chevy Sonic and a 2012 NC700X. Both were purchased less than 12 months prior to moving to CA and both had more than 7500 miles.

The DMV hit me with taxes on BOTH vehicles, even though they both had more than 7500 miles, because I'd purchased them less than 12 months before moving to CA. I could prove I already paid the taxes on the car, so they only charged me the difference in the tax bill from Wisconsin to CA. Full taxes paid on the NC though. Yea, I got reamed on that visit.

I'm not trying to start an argument here. I'll I'm saying is that the OP needs to fully understand what his DMV will want if he tries registering that vehicle in CA.
    Chillis likes this.
  18. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your mixing up a bunch of issues. The 7500 miles has nothing to do with taxes. As others have stated, if the bike has a 50 state sticker, the 7500 mile does not apply. If you don't have the sticker, the bike is considered new if it has less then 7500 miles and cannot be registered in Ca.
    Chillis likes this.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    If the vehicle has a California compliant smog sticker the 7500 mile rule does not apply. Yes it will show salvage, yes you can insure it. Also if the vehicle is registered to you in the previous State the 7500 mile rule doesn't apply. Chances are a 2017 has a California compliant sticker.
  20. yair1956

Oddometer:
    ..yeah i will take all your advices Guys ... checking with DMV, verifying Stickers and get in touch with Geico to make sure the will insure the Bike

Tnx

Yair
    Chillis likes this.