1. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Actually now that some people have had luck with their situations I'm starting to wonder if the DMV in Poway isn't full of shit.

Regardless, good luck to the OP on this one.
    Chillis likes this.
  2. yair1956

yair1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could be ...... with my current 09 GSA which came from AZ (Clean Title) I went down to San Clemente and the Inspector gave me such a hard time, so I went up to Laguna Beach checked in 10 minuets before closing and five minute later I got in done
    Chillis likes this.
  3. yair1956

Oddometer:
    ..and I think this will conclude the discussion

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
    California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a
    California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in
    another state.

Regardless of the year
    The Bike I'm considering is 2017 with 3,200 miles on the odometer
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Not concluded. Doesn't matter what year it is. It's either miles or sticker, or registered to you in the other State..or there is a military exemption in some cases. Conclusion is: If it doesn't have the California sticker you can't register it unless you comply in one of the other ways....miles or title in your name from other state already.
    villageidiot likes this.
  5. yair1956

Oddometer:
    Federal Noise Emission compliance on the Frame, but unlike my 09, nothing on the bottom of the 2017 ... wonder if there is a fellow Mate that has the same bike (GS or GSA) that can physically check.

Tnx in advance

Yair
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    If it's a USA sold BMW it is California compliant. BUT you need to find a readable label as the verifier at DMV needs to see it. Could be behind one of the side panels..not on the frame. No label...no go....verifier need to see it, you need to point it out to them...they will not want to search for it. Could also be under the front stuck to fuel tank.
    villageidiot likes this.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    By the way you need the title NOT a salvage certificate....a title/Ownership certificate/pink slip..whatever you want to call it.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  8. yair1956

Oddometer:
    This one got rebuilt title, not a Salvage title it is back on the road

Tnx
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Groovy. Sometimes people confuse a salvage certificate with a title. Good you have a title, it's impossible without actual title.
  10. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im not sure who gave this information, or what questions were asked, but most of the information and statements made are wrong.

you can buy a bike out of state and bring it to California regardless of miles if it has the marking that states “meets California standards for emissions” not the one that says meets “epa” Emissions. Most bikes within the past decade have the California sticker.
    Regarding taxes, when you buy the bike, if you are required to pay local taxes where you bought it, such as at the dealer, you then just have to pay the difference in taxes when you register it in California. You are given a credit for local taxes paid where you bought it through reciprocity agreements. So if you buy a bike in AZ, you pay the local tax, then pay the difference in what you paid and the California amount to the dmv. You can call the dmv on this and ask, because that’s exactly what I did when I was buying a new bike from AZ.

what you can’t do is buy/bring a bike that you didn’t already own registered in another state Into the state If it doesn’t have the specific sticker that says “meets California emissions” there is always 2 separate stickers on the frame, the standard vin sticker that says epa and a separate California sticker
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    OR it has 7500 miles...then it can have non California sticker. The emissions sticker is ONE sticker...it will either read '49 state compliant' OR 'California compliant'
  12. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are two examples of
    the TWO stickers. One epa and the California one you need. People get confused when they see a single sticker that doesn’t specifically mention California

Attached Files:

13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Yes there is more than one sticker on any vehicle. The TWO stickers the DMV verifier wants to see are the Federal safety sticker and the Emissions sticker. Which are two separate stickers. I've done hundreds....yes...hundreds....more than a hundred. I used to be a licensed, bonded verifier/vehicle dealer for almost 40 years. (32 years in California.)
    el Pete likes this.
  14. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. Thanks for telling us. I’m sure you don’t get the two stickers confused like most first timers then :wink:
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    There is a first time for everything. One learns, and we can get taught. This stuff is not instinctive...that's why we post here and share knowledge. Now with the interwebs the wealth of information available at your fingertips is astounding. If a person can post on here they have the capacity to use many resources and get to the truth and understanding. As with some learning experience it takes repetition of the information before you 'get' it. Consequently we continue to post what we know and it get''s rather 'old' as it's basic to us. I am not a professional teacher so my information sharing format can be rather abrupt. I don't make excuses though....this is how it is. Hopefully we learn something every day to further improve ourselves. I learned something today.
  16. digger2

digger2 A cad & a bounder

Oddometer:
    Poway is fos. I bought a jeep from the feds at auction and they tried to charge me sales tax. Purchases from the drug seizure program and sold at auction are tax exempt. I went to escondido and had no problem
  17. digger2

Oddometer:

And they want to see all the relevant numbers stamped. Make sure you know where they are and you have a flashlight
  18. beemerbum55

beemerbum55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gawd I'm so fricking glad I don't live in Kommiefornia!
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    It takes special qualifications to live here. Only a few survive and prosper. You see them out riding motorcycles ALL year round.
  20. digger2

Oddometer:
    Thats why i left as well