Recall, rear brake.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Apr 3, 2020.

1. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you look at the fluid level? There was another report of the same symptoms, and the result was that the reservoir was nearly empty, so it sucked air and didn't work. It came back from the dealer that way after the recall...
    RyanC likes this.
  2. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just read that and will for sure check that when I get home today. Thanks.
    RyanC likes this.
  3. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as the scanner bleed procedure, it's really only necessary if the ABS unit loses fluid, I suspect replacing the rear line would not cause that. The bleed procedure basically just runs fluid back and forth in the accumilator to push any air out, at least in every car I've had to do it in.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I got the bike I thought the brake feel was due to the ABS (never had a bike with ABS before). It wasn’t until I did maintenance on the brakes that I realized it was air in the brake lines. Now that I’ve bled them myself they’re rock solid.
    Cycleman4 likes this.
  5. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im just kidding, need some humour these days, too much serious shit going on :D
  8. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I just got mine back from the recall and after a short ride knew it wasn't bled properly. Decided I'd just do it myself instead of waiting at the dealer.
    Did you have success bleeding normally at the caliper or do you have to bleed at the ABS unit as well ?
  9. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I bled at the caliper.
  10. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had mine done and rear brake is fine no concerns,a positive among the negatives.
    RyanC and windblown101 like this.
  11. K.T.Emsdorf

K.T.Emsdorf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My recall notice is dated 4/28/20 for my ‘19 S. Still waiting for my dealer to get the parts. Their excuses keep changing.
    So I started focusing on my rear caliper and noticed how hot it became after a ride. Very hot like a hot griddle to cook on. I have always noticed it dragging when turning the rear wheel on the centerstand but thought it was normal.
    Becoming more obsessed and frustrated by my dealers lack of urgency, I delved into looking at the rear caliper myself doing a simple removal and cleaning of the pads. While the pads were out, I grabbed the caliper with a hand on each sliding pin and moved it back and forth. The chattering sound told me there was no grease inside the rubber boots covering the pins. I’ve worked on enough cars to know the pins need grease and the boots keep the grease contained.
    I carefully got some grease inside the boots and racked the caliper back and forth to get it working smooth. A test ride without using the rear brake showed no heat at all when I checked it. When I used the rear brake it was hot but not like a stove. The rear wheel also spins free when on the centerstand now. A great relief for me.
    So I believe that at some point in assembly, the pins were not greased. At this point I have little confidence in the recall being effective if the pins are still left dry.
    Hope this helps.
    ADV67, Toddv, lithodave and 4 others like this.
  12. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I pulled mine apart tonight and can confirm the pins were drier than a popcorn fart. I also noted that the inside pad had significantly more wear on it than the outside pad, which I believe is consistent with the calliper not returning to a neutral position correctly.

Now that they’re packed full of grease the calliper floats pretty easily.
    K.T.Emsdorf and 1coolbanana like this.
  13. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will have to check that out, and the fronts...
  14. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    That’s my next step. I don’t want to contribute to rumours as I haven’t pulled them apart yet, but it kind of makes me wonder if all the warped rotors....

Edit: Disregard. The front brake isn’t a floating calliper. It has pistons on both sides.
    Toddv and tshansen like this.
  15. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    To make this easier as I had to stare at this for a bit while I puzzled it out, once you remove the rear wheel and the brake pads, back this bolt out (see pic) and the calliper slides apart.

Once separated, I coated the loose pin in grease, inserted it into the boot, worked it around a bit, pulled it out, re-greased it and inserted it again. I had to do this several times for each boot.

[​IMG]
  16. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    I’m curious about the backstory. If you’re going to push it in the dirt you have to be prepared to break a few things along the way, but I don’t know what happened, so....
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who knows, its FB with no backstory!
    Immediate claims of recalls for front as well.
  19. Some_Dude

Oddometer:
    It’s hard to tell, but I’m curious if that’s a 270mm fork with a 240mm brake line?
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first thought too but unlikely we will never know