Recall related to brake calipers on 2019 R1250GSA?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BanditAdventurer, Sep 18, 2019.

1. BanditAdventurer

BanditAdventurer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello:

I decided to buy a 2019 R1250GSA a few days ago from BMW Motorrad in Toronto. They were offering a $2300 discount (I went there actually planning on putting in an order on a 2020 model).

After signing the paperwork to purchase, etc.... I was told when they started to prep the bike on the Monday that there was a recall related to brake calipers, and it would be 7-10 days to get the part. So, bike is still sitting at the dealership.

Weird thing is I can't find any posted brake caliper recall for 2019 R1250GSA's anywhere on the internet. Only for smaller G310 models.

Anyone else heard of this recall - or any recalls specifically on the R1250GS (besides the spoked wheel failures in late 2018 or early 2019)?

Just curious.

At least the bike should be "good" when I can actually ride it out of the dealership lot in a week or so....I hope!

Cheers.
  2. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2019 R1250RT that has BMW branded, Hayes manufactured, brake callipers. I read on an RT forum that bikes produced during a certain production period were experiencing some caliper leakage. I haven't experienced any issues myself.
    Fosters likes this.
  3. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well selling a bike and not being able to turn it over to a customer is serious stuff.

This must be pretty new a a buyer of anew bike would obviously become aware of this before anyone else. Kind of a piss poor thing is a lot of guys have been reporting leaking front calipers so how long will they wait after the new bike buyer gets his as that is the new unit out the door where the other is already out the door?

Interesting we hear it first from Canada.

Also interesting you were not informed before the sale, or is that what the 2300 is for?

Congratulations on the new bike and 2300 bucks is a nice discount.
  4. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a lie, I'd ask for a refund. Nice of them to tell you after you bought it!
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  5. vincentrapide

vincentrapide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve done 9000 miles on mine, renewed the pads and had a good look at them. Can’t see any problems and know nothing of a recall.

Cheers
  6. BanditAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Have some other "issues" as well - e.g. doesn't come with an anti-theft alarm apparently, even though it is part of the Select Package - and I got the Premium Package which is supposed to include all the Select package components as well....I've got tire pressure monitoring and hand guards but apparently not the other Select package items...as per the Canadian Specification sheet PDF half way down the page at: https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/mode...echnicaldata.html#/section-more-individuality - I should be getting all those components.

I wonder if I am getting some "weird" mix of optional items in this bike....but that was not disclosed to me when discussing with the sales guy.

I'm pushing back now, to see what their response is - basically either the BMW Motorrad Canada site information is misleading, or the sales guy is.
  7. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like this 'deal' isn't all that.... Make sure you get what you pay for. YMMV
  8. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    Week before last I stopped for an oil change at eurocycles of las vegas....he asked if I had experienced brake fluid seepage, told me to keep an eye out for it...so I doubt it’s bullshit.
  9. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    According to https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/adventure/r1250gsadventure/accessories.html Select package does not include Alarm?! Just:
    • Ride Modes Pro (Dynamic, Enduro)
    • Gear Shift Assistant Pro
    • Dynamic Traction Control
    • Dynamic Brake Control
    • Hill Start Control Pro
    • ABS Pro
    Alarm has always been stand-alone option - but things may have changed for 2020 so ymmv... :deal

If you look at Canadian pricing and options sheet all the way down, under Data and Equipment, you should be able to see all packages as well as individual options you can have... :thumb
  10. Mikaela

Mikaela Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I moved to a 1250 rt (from a gsa) earlier in the year. I’ve had both front callipers replaced twice now due to leaking. I believe bmw have ‘revised’ pistons and seals but these appear to be on back order here in the uk. As the rt, gs and gsa all use the same front callipers there does appear to be a bit of an issue so I would suggest we may be seeing the start of a campaign to update those parts with issues.
  11. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes going to be a shortage if they plan on replacing all calipers that are out.

I would think the Canada incident was the calipers leaked on the showroom floor so the dealer went to order new ones and found out the time frame.

Still bad that a dealer would do a whole deal and not tell someone something like this.

And then here is BMW designing and ordering stuff probably to save a dime and then not QC and proofing out the design over time.

I would say this is shaping up to the shock ordeal and will result in Stop Sale orders sooner or later.

IMHO much more important then a shock.
    Fosters likes this.
  12. Fosters

Fosters Loner

Oddometer:
    I wish I still had brembos to be honest
  13. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I bought my R1250 RT I remember thinking it was strange that they put BMW branded calipers on the front and a Brembo caliper on the rear.
    Juan Loboe likes this.
  14. EricNPHX

EricNPHX n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought my new R1250GSA last month. The one I picked out and did the contract with had the same issue. They had a newer one
    that wasn't affected and ended up delivering me that one.
    I returned two weeks later for the first service, and noticed all of the R1250GS were pulled from the floor. They said the had a stop sale on them until they could replace the front calipers.
    I keep checking mine and have no leakage.
  15. BanditAdventurer

Oddometer:
    So....just an update....yes I was wrong about the anti-theft alarm. Main confusion is the Toronto BMW dealership web page for the 1250GS Adventure links you to a PDF for the 1250GS (non Adventure) - so I was confused about anti-theft alarm inclusion in the Select package. Still find it weird that the GS comes with anti-theft alarm, but NOT the Adventure model.

In terms of the brake caliper recall, I was told on Monday that they have absolutely NO anticipated delivery date for that recall part!

I'm really not happy they didn't check this bike for the weeks/months it likely sat on the showroom floor, only to do a recall check AFTER I had signed to purchase the bike.

I could be under a scenario where people will start getting their 2020 model before I get my 2019!

I sent a complaint email to BMW about this. Waiting to hear back from the Management at the location I bought from.

If it is indeed a major recall it's curious it's not published anywhere. And it probably means I could be in for a long wait before I get my new bike, especially if there is going to be a STOP SALE until it's sorted out, and as others have stated, they are seeing all R1250's pulled from the floor. Sigh....

I only find this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V593-7088.PDF but doesn't apply to R1250 GS models - at least not yet.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Cheers.
  16. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not the first time, won't be the last. The ForkDebacle™ was a widespread recall in 2017 that went through various gyrations until it was publicized. And it took them a long time to get replacement parts for the bikes - it was a lot of bikes. The good news is that it will eventually get sorted, and the bike remains a great bike. But this is par for the course. I just had service done and they're still checking wire wheel tensions on certain bikes - mine already had one replaced under warranty.
  17. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had originally heard or read that the BMW branded front brake caliper weeping problem was limited to certain production dates. If that's the case, you might consider pushing Toronto BMW to remove the calipers from a newer production bike and put them on yours.
  18. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a call from my dealer's service department asking me to bring mine in for inspection.

So we'll see in a couple of days.
  19. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 2020s might have this problem also. My delivery was delayed due to the brakes leaking. Apparently, every 1250 GS/RT in their shipment had this problem. It's almost been a week and I haven't heard any updates on resolution.
  20. bobbyh

bobbyh n00b

Oddometer:
    Okay ,same deal with me. Waiting since August 17/19 on the lowered GS. I'm not confident the tech knows how to install as that seems to be the issue now. Interesting. But such a good deal, i'm going to wait it out for a little longer.