Recent Cassiar conditions??????

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BladeFlap, May 10, 2006.

1. BladeFlap

BladeFlap Ex Dream Crusher

Oddometer:
    Hey there!
    End of Day 4 with the Colorado-Fairbanks trip.
    I'm about to pass out in a hot tub here in Prince George.
    I need to decide by tommorow morning, Alcan or Cassiar???
    I'm solo on an 1150 gs with 50% worn tires, (not knobbies)
    I was planning on doing the Cassiar until a trucker today told me that it will be a mudhole, but that was based on his past experience this time of year....he has not yet been on it this year.
    Has anyone any recent reports for the route from Prince George-Watson Lake???
    Please respond tonight, I'll have to check this in the morning and make my decision...
    Thanks all!
    PS...how come I didn't see a single other bike the whole way through Banff and Jasper today?????
  2. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Judging by the forcast the Cassiar will be cooler. Road conditions may get a bit slick on the northern portion where you will encounter some gravel.

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-14_metric_e.html

Going the the other way up the Alcan looks warmer but your morning may be wet around Ft St John.

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-78_metric_e.html

Ft Nelson looks good at mile 300.

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-83_metric_e.html

Taking the Alcan you are at least assured good pavement or chipseal.
    Have a good trip.
  3. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    :D Listening to road reports from the north here the Cassiar is in good shape. Last year when we did it we only hit about 60km of gravel.
    Warning though, cold & wet here with some fresh snow on the roads just a couple of days ago. Be brave and do it, because you could hit snow going up the Alaska as well. Dress warm and have good rain gear. I'm off for the next couple of days if you need some help I can make a trip to Kitwanga Junction (1.5 hour trip from home) to help.
    PM me if you need anything.
    I'm heading up that way in less than a month. :clap
    Rick :D
  4. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Moto Cassiar! The dirt stretches are navagable with a GS on street tires....just have to go a little slower if it's very wet. The rest of it's paved and an absolute hoot on a GS.:clap
  5. BladeFlap

BladeFlap Ex Dream Crusher

Oddometer:
    Well, Ok, the Cassiar it is.
    Thanks for your help!!
  6. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went down 27th of may last year w/no problems. Hang on :D
  7. Yukoner

Yukoner Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I had a friend drive north on the Cassier to Whitehorse yesterday in a F250 and he said some spots are really rough. You should be fine but at this time of year keep your eyes open for some BIG & deep holes in the paved sections. They often are far apart and can catch you by surprise.
  8. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    This is probably too late but Ill post anyway. I drove it two weeks ago in my Ford F-150 hauling a trailer with my bike and other gear. The road was completely dry. No mud or snow. There is gravel sections but nothing to get worried about. There is, however, some big pot holes that may catch you by surprise. I would travel at a reasonable rate of speed and just use common sense.

Stu