Recomendations for NW Nevada

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by seldredge, Aug 5, 2019.

1. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In early September I expect to be coming back to CA from a trip on Sections 4 and 5 of the NVBDR. Figure I'd enter CA in the north, around Cedarville, or perhaps farther south near Susanville. Don't know anything about this part of NV, and my Benchmark book stops at the border. I'm looking for any recommendations for roads to take, things to see, areas to explore this region.
  2. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending on how early, you may run into people leaving Burning Man. Good luck is all I can say about that. I don’t have any recommendations but I’m sure someone will chime in.
    Motorius likes this.
  3. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arg! Good to know. I won't be that early, but who knows how fast they disperse.
  4. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I've seen, their "vehicles" barely make it there, and often don't make it home. Last year I was going east on I80 a few days after it ended, and the steeper the hill, the more of them hunks of junk were along the road waiting a tow. :lol3:lol3
    Bigger Al likes this.
  5. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just checked a map. I was thinking of taking Jungo Rd from near Winnemucca. It's right past the Burning Man Area. Gerlach may still be overrun.
  6. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lotsa stuff to see there.
    If you can...

Steens mountain loop is gorgeous this time of year.
    A bit north... but if you can see it... worth it. Summer up there is... August.
    Dinner at the Diamond hotel. It's a world class dinner, no questions asked.

Could loop across the Antelope refuge... 8A, 34A, Catnip Lake, 34. Fandango Pass.
    Knott Creek Road from Denio. Summit Lake, Badger mountain. Stevens Camp.
    Soldier Meadows, High Rock Canyon, Hays Road.
    All good.
    JeepDawg, el Pete and Bigger Al like this.
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Do you have tracks?
  8. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used to... let me take a look and see if they are still on the computer.
    GR8ADV likes this.
  9. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have a Benchmark Atlas coming. I'll look up what you said. Scott

10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Unless you want to swing out to the east, I'm guessing you will want to go through Gerlach if not Burner time. If it is and you want to route around, you have options going around on the west side staying west of Pyramid Lake on dirt south to Reno, paved in CA from Janesville-Antelope Lake-Quincy-Truckee-Tahoe. If more dirt, there are options south of Reno, including Bodie and other stuff on the NV side. Kinda need more info on what you are looking for.
  11. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just looking for way to enter CA in the NE, in the area say between Cedarville and Susanville. Through Gerlach seemed one likely route.
  12. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple years ago I returned home from a Labor Day weekend trip via 140 to Lakeview and then 395 south to Reno. Starting at the Cedarville intersection just above Alturas there were quite a lot of Burnermobiles on the road and stopped at gas stations, pullouts, shoulders, etc, but not so many as to be a hassle, more of a bonus sideshow. Not sure how much the burners affect Jungo Rd, would probably look at other options if it were me.
    +1 on Steens Mtn. Beautiful BLM campground just outside of Frenchglen too, if you happen to pass through around bedtime.
  13. seldredge

seldredge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, bdesj. I'll look into this also.
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I have been there a few times near the end Sept/early Oct so have no experience with the area right after Burning Man. If the hordes from Burning Man have dispersed by the time you get there, you can cut across the playa from Jungo Rd which is cool if you haven't done that before. ONLY use the obvious entry/exit points as the entire periphery of the playa is bottomless, slick mud (also don't go out on the playa if there has been significant rain in the last couple of days. I'm assuming you'll need gas from Gerlach but if not, if you're staying at Soldier Meadows Ranch (make reservations), you could get gas there (at least in the past). I've heard wildly varying reports of people staying there from great to horrible - the deciding factor seemed to be whether or not you have reservations - yes = good, no = bad experience. If you go to Gerlach for gas (again, hopefully not in the immediate aftermath of Burning Man), you can get gas and food. Bruno's has upgraded their kitchen so non Italian choices are improved. Ravioli (if available) has always been amazing. The ride north past Soldier Meadows is good in the way-out-there kind of feel but expect st-t-t-t-ter bumps. You can then catch 8A west to Hwy 299 which returns to pavement a few miles from Cedarville.
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I was by Soldier Meadows 3 weeks ago. The Ranch seems to be closed for gas, lodging, meals. Word is that it changed hands and the new owners are interested in cattle ranching only. Rumor type info. So take it for what its worth. Denio Junction was open for gas, food and lodging.
    jonz likes this.
  16. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode past northbound on July 3rd, main gates closed at SM Ranch, first time I have ever seen that. Denio Jctn apparently back in the gas business but temporarily out. Too late for gas at Fields that day and unsure about holiday hours, made a run for Rome and found that they now have 24 hour gas (new law allows for self pumping after hours at rural stations), but they were still open anyway. Two days later, Rome was out of gas (another first for me), topped off in Fields. Main gate still shut tight at SM. No card readers on the Fields pump BTW, so still no gas after 6PM. Sorry, I know I'm drifting from topic.
  17. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as we are this far off topic
    Fields Station has ethanol free premium over a buck cheaper then it is here on the coast in Northern Ca.
  18. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    I have some tracks I can send you. One set from Jarbidge to Mountain City across to Paradise Valley via Chimney Res. Then to Cedarville via 140/8A or 140/34a through the Sheldon Refuge. If you’re not going to Jarbidge you can easily adjust. Pretty good roads, have driven Cattle trucks on them. I would highly recommend continuing to Jarbidge from Elko. Most scenic stage of the entire BDR.

I also have a more southernly route through Tuscarora, Willow Creek Res and Midas into Golconda just east of Winnemucca. Then Jungo Rd. to Gerlach and then to 395 just north of Susanvill via Smoke Creek. These are super gravel roads with quite a bit of mine traffic on them.

Don’t worry about the hippies leaving Burning Man, it’s more of a freak show than a traffic problem. Easy to avoid, especially on a bike. The traffic when they are arriving is a whole different matter....
  19. dlock5

dlock5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a question, how far is it between fueling station on this trip, less than 100 miles?
  20. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    The Jungo road as you mentioned is the most efficient dirt route westward, Sept. 1 through 3 probably a no go due to Burning man departure. We are headed down there for 9 days same time frame and kind of working around it a bit too. Probably my 20th trip there, we have gone across through Gerlach and across the playa 3 or 4 days after the festival and was only the clean up crew left (not bad), +1 on the summit lake, knotts creek, 8a, roads mentioned earlier, those can set you up for a Cedarville exit. Good routes Just to the south of I80 from winnimucca as well, down Grass Valley, over to Antelope Valley, around carson sink, Fallon or fernley, then cut north of Reno into cali. What is your Fuel range? and desired road type? those will dictate mostly. Monday (labor day) the 2nd will be the worst, and some roads (447) and the Jungo road will want to avoid, even 50 miles away, otherwise most of the time you can sneak through a slight distance away and just avoid Gerlach/Empire, if you have the fuel to do that.