recommend me a helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by cobzzz1973, Dec 30, 2019.

1. cobzzz1973

cobzzz1973 n00b

Oddometer:
    lid looking a bit battered and bruised, and they say you have to replace every 3 yaers (whoops)

rec me a helmet, nothing too pricey i spent it all on the bike lol

adventure before dementia lads

jacob
  2. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't...and, realistically, no one can...truly recommend a helmet, and not because I wouldn't want to, or because I don't know them well enough. But, I can give you a starting point.

First-things-first, whether you buy from them, or not, is entirely up to you...but, I HIGHLY recommend starting with Revzilla's website - not because they're the best (tho, I'd probably put them in the 'Top 3'), or because they're the least expensive (but, again, they are known to have among the best prices, and they do price-match), but because they have incredibly-informative videos.

Second, how you should start considering possibilities is based on your head shape: round, slight oval, elongated oval, etc. Different brands tend to shape their helmets differently, with almost all models of any given brands maintaining that general shape throughout their entire lineup. Once you know your "shape", you can filter helmets confirming to that shape.

Finally, start selecting possible brands/models, watching Revzilla's videos, and stay narrowing down your choices. Don't worry so much about colors, or graphics, as those are less important. Oh, yeah...one last thing...as everyone knows, "you get what you pay for" (ie. cheap brands make "cheap" helmets). Put another way, how much is it worth to you to protect what's on top of your shoulders? Good luck, and ride safe.
  3. cobzzz1973

cobzzz1973 n00b

Oddometer:
    hi mate, thanks for the reply,

i see revzilla a lot but im based in merry old england so theyre out

need something on the less pricey end being just after xmas, full face or flip really

adventure before dementia

jacob
  4. Panther6834

Panther6834 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like I said, you don't need to order from them...but, they're a GREAT resource for research.
    Gondul likes this.
  5. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over always been partial to Scorpion helmets for something of decent quality without blowing the checkbook.

Have had to get replacement parts a few times and they stand behind their product.
  6. suber1959

suber1959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi! UK here too. Glad to see you on the forum :jack where are you doing most of your pootling about ?

Yeah I agree Revzilla are a US company but their youtube channel especially kicks arse. Good place to sink a few hours if you're spare some, on the toilet etc.

Other than that, there are some good deals available online eg https://buyhelmets.online/collections/cheap-motorbike-helmets if you do a bit of googling like

I'd stay away from ebay or gumtree or the like, especially if you're looking at the more budget end of the spectrum. There are lots of Chinese knockoffs floating around, stuff I wouldn't send my kid out on his BMX with. Check the scam thread here for a good laugh

Best of luck mate! if you need any more advice message me I'd be more than happy
  7. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever is comfortable. Try on as many as you can. I have a Shoei shaped head.
    scottdc likes this.
  8. Broken&Lost

Broken&Lost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Echoing what others have said and find out what helmets fit your head shape and then narrow it down from those manufacturers. Look out for last years model clearance and plain colours are always cheaper than graphics

Word of warning. Some manufacturers change the head shapes so what may have fitted you well in the past may not now.
    Motomantra likes this.
  9. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I used to sell helmets retail. Some helmets don't fit some heads. Be careful ordering something you haven't tried on.
    scottdc likes this.
  10. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Billy’s Crash Helmets has a lot of info. The UK's Sharp Testing is also a very good reference. Also, the replacement period is 5 yers, not 3.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    never cheap out on a helmet. leave the farkels off the fool bike and get the best helmet you can possibly afford. If you have the slightest doubt observe people trying to recover from traumatic brain injuries.

beware hidden costs, like face shields. In 3 years you might not be able to get them and/or they can be unholy expensive. get a good protective helmet bag and use it. Personally I do not use the flimsy things that come with the helmet, face shields cost too much. If the thing is not on my head it is bagged. A decent bag lasts forever. I have two. Daily use and a PacSafe locking one.

Never abuse your helmet, like perching it on your mirror. An advantage of spending more is you will learn how to care for it and then do that.

as has been mentioned, you save money omitting flashy graphics and shopping sales once you know what fits.
  12. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I'll extend that to tried on and walked around the store in for 2 hours looking at things. Buy a helmet liner first so it stays clean for that 2 hours (you will want it later). The helmet will feel tight (it will break in) but no pain or hot spots after two hours.

edit: while one can feel the weight of a helmet just trying it on, the noise, buffeting and ventilation cannot be evaluated . gotta collect opinions on those.
  13. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    To me, pricing doesn't mean anything. All three crazy expensive Schuberths E1's I ordered had balky closures. Also, one large was larger than the XL. All had three year old build dates. Scuberth told me they feel the balky closure is adequate but they could modify them to work better if I sent them the helmet. WTF was my answer. Not even remotely cool in a helmet that expensive. It should work perfectly as delivered.

Meanwhile my dirt cheap Fly Trekker originally bought as temporary place holder while waiting for more ADV choices made the Schuberths an even worse joke and became my favorite for several years. Scorpion finally made what I was waiting for with their AT950. But I held off because the Trekker was so comfortable I hated to give it up. Until I had a helmet retirement level crash a couple of months ago.

Anyway, I love this Scorpion. Everything that sucked about the Schuberth works perfectly on it for less than half the cost. I just spent a few hundred miles in the Scorpion and can't find a thing to bitch about. It's a touch heavy but makes up for it with functionality. I can't recommend the AT950 enough. It is a lot of helmet for the money.
  15. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have that FLY, too. It's become my most used helmet. I've got two ARAIs also, but most of the time I wear the TREKKER unless it gets cold out. Then I wear one of the ARAIs. The FLY is too drafty in the cold.
    Grreatdog likes this.