Recommendations for 4th of July festivities?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Trasch, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I would check in with the regional experts. My travels to Alaska this summer; after D2D and after a run up the haul road, place me around Fairbanks and Anchorage on the 3rd/4th of July. Before I head down to Homer, looking for some recommendations for something to do on the 4th of July. Any fun places or events to be at? I think I read about some crazy run up a mountain somewhere? I won't be doing that but would love to have a beer or three. I assume most of you tend to get the heck out of town, but I won't mind a day or two off the bike. Looks like July 4th is on a Wednesday this year so not sure if there will be things going on that day or on the bookend weekends. Do I have to wear sunglasses for firework at this time of year?:D
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Manley Hot Springs. Free beer.
    Trasch likes this.
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    If, like me, you like crowds and the weather's nice, I like going to Seward to watch the Mount Marathon Race. Seward has a population of about 2,600 but on the 4th, me and about 30,000 others show up for the festivities. Fun! The Seward Hwy is also a Designated Scenic Byway making for a lovely ride.

Also, in your other thread you asked about Eagle's Claw in Tok. There's ALWAYS tent space among the trees on some very soft comfy moss. And as mentioned there'll be about 50 of us there on Wed the 20th on our way to Dawson the next day. And then about 30 coming back on Saturday night. Good times.

Remember too that both U of AK Anchorage and U of AK Fairbanks rent out rooms for cheap. And in Anchorage our Harley shop has free camping for travelers with a code access shower room! It's also right next to MotoQuest MC Tours who are fun to visit with as well.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
    Trasch likes this.
  4. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    I might just go see this spectacle this year.

Peace
    Piston
    Colemanfu and Trasch like this.
  5. Trasch

Trasch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Info, thanks for the replies! I will be staying at Eagle Claw after D2D so I'm sure I'll get some more info from you guys there as well. I did email and get a spot for that Saturday. Of course I didn't read the "About Us" section of their website far enough, so I addressed the email to Vanessa and Brian (oops). Vanessa corrected me on the reply back :dirtdog. So I think as punishment she is going to make me rebuild the sauna.
    Alaskajeff likes this.
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Great thread, we'll be in AK for the 4th and were curious bout where to spend it.

Love shit like this!
    We've been to water fights in Ouray CO but throwing cars off a mountain is a whole different level of crazy - well played!
    [​IMG]
  7. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Another uniquely Alaskan experience is tiny Wiseman on the 4th of July if you are held up and still on the Haul Road. Kegs of beer, music, local characters, etc. Been there once and still talk about it.
    Trasch likes this.
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Why I recommend Manley Hot Springs..... About eight years ago Spousal Unit and I were coming off the Dalton Hwy. We stopped where the Dalton meets the Elliot Hwy to add air to our tires. As we were doing this two guys on ATVs pulled up from the brush onto the Elliot about 50 feet west of us. They seemed not to notice us and were talking to each other, although I could not understand what they were saying. Annie was sitting on her bike as I aired her tires and after a few minutes she took off her helmet. Almost immediately a thunderous voice came from one of the two guys who said, "THAT"S A GIRL!!!!" both ATVs started and they raced down to us with one on either side of Annie's bike. These guys were pressing 80 years of age and armed to the teeth; rifles in scabbards, side arms and knives. I was nonexistant in their eyes as they began chatting up Annie like two high school boys in heat. One had a homestaed in the area and a bear had raided a smoker on his porch and eaten his supply of fish; they were going to get the bear. The conversation soon turned to what Annie's plans were for the forthcoming Fourth of July. They wanted her to come to Manley because they have a parade (with a population of under 100) and the town buys a keg that you can drink for free.... what more could a man ask for. It took some effort to extract ourselves from the conversation, although I'm pretty sure I could have left at any time without objection. Annie eventually told them she would try to attend and that seemed to calm them down so we could leave.

We rode to Manley at least once a year for several years and loved the place, but never did make it for the Fourth. It is kinda like a Alaskan version of Mayberry only with a roadhouse with a bar.
    Trasch likes this.