1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Recommendations for CA>NV>UT 10 day ride

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SpecialAgentNancy, Feb 26, 2020.

1. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Normally I ride multiple foreign countries over a month or more but this year, I want to stay closer to home and do a couple short rides. My Tiger is in Ireland for sale but I have a comfortable Honda NC750X here in California.

Thinking in spring to ride through NV and visit all the parks in UT then store the bike in Colorado somewhere and fly back.
    Then return to Colorado in the fall and ride WY/Yellowstone and some of those state parks and back to CA through OR.

Or do it all in 1 loop. CA>NV>UT>CO>WY>ID>OR>CA perhaps over 2 weeks. I like to ride 300 miles a day at least. I like back roads, twisties, small towns, remote areas.

Would love recommendations on paved roads (this Honda sucks on gravel/dirt) what to not miss, good camping options (including wild camping) things to see, not miss or stop overnight in small towns, avoiding cities.
    Cdmpc likes this.
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'd recommend Hwy 4 across the Sierras. If you like small towns, check out Markleeville - I lived there 30 years ago when the population sign showed 111 residents. It's the county seat of of Alpine County, the least populated and poorest county in California. Ride up to Grover Hot Springs State Park (my employer at the time) for a soak and also camping. Ride Hwy 50 across Nevada. Austin and Eureka are interesting little towns. I vaguely recall checking out the bar in Austin - the carved wooden bar with double eagle heads was from the gold rush days. The old part of Ely, NV right where you enter town on Hwy 50 is kind of interesting. From there, you can work your way to Zion National Park and any/all the others you'd like to see. If you pass through the town of Panguitch, check out Tandoori Tacos - high prices and just okay service when I was there but I'll remember those tacos the rest of my life and will hopefully pass by again. Utah Hwy 12 (Grand Staircase/Escalante) is a great motorcycle road. The ride across Monument Valley is iconic and one of those things every motorcyclist should do one at least one time. In Colorado, riding north from Durango on Hwy 550 is a hoot. Ouray was an interesting if touristy town. I rode Hwy 65 north and eventually rode to Craig, CO. Then west on 40 and then 318. I rode north into Wyoming on Hwy 430 - some easy gravel I rode on my ST1300. Ride 191 north which leads to Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP's.
    3rdeng and Crackerbiker like this.
  3. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Thanks super helpful!
  4. taco7

taco7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would also recommend some northern Utah roads along the wasatch front since you will be coming across from Ely. May I suggest the alpine loop which starts in Nephi and goes north to the town of payson.

If you decide to go further north than this there are great roads that take you up into the canyons near SLC (Big and Little Cottonwood). I also recommend the Mirror Lake Highway, 150, that you access in Kamas, UT....it is 90 miles if I remember, and dumps you into Evanson, WY. I recommend turning around and taking it back rather than slabbing back to SLC on I80.

As you go south get on HWY 89 for scenic small-town views. I recommend driving to Fish Lake, and then on to Torrey, which is the northern access to Capital Reef NP. From there take Hwy 12 south. As others have mentioned, it is one of the best MC roads in the west. From there you can hit Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP. Also find a route to Moab, as that is where Arches NP is.
    tooofast likes this.