Red Bluff sign in...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hop-Sing, Aug 7, 2015.

1. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm probably heading out 36-ish this weekend with a street tire`d Wee Strom, most likely camp Sat night at Black Butte, play on skinny curves-N-corners Sun, and start heading for the barn Sun afternoon. No place I need to be, just following my nose. Did the Carr fire gobble up everything on the Platina- Igo- Ono road (name of that road has never been clear to me)? 3 from 299 through Hayfork to 36? Any specific roads or areas that will likely make me cry from depression? Further south, the FS gravel section of 162 from the valley to Covelo- I have never been on that. Is it likely open for the year yet or still snowed/mudded in? Probably passable at this time on street tires? I didn't go reading this thread any further back than the front page, so if you guys just finished going over all this with somebody else, please just let me know and I'll check the "back pages"!

And since you were already there, my poor DR is feeling neglected. Electrical troubles showed up last month just when it was coming out of winter semi-hibernation and I've been procrastinating mucho about getting out to trouble shoot. You guys are making me feel like a bad dad with the DR talk!
    Foot dragger likes this.
  2. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    The Platina- Igo- Ono Rd. (AKA Ditch Grade Rd) has some burned sections but most of it was not affected. I don't recall burned sections on one of my favorites, Hwy 3 between 299 and 36 (actually all of Hwy 3 is my favorites). There are so many burned areas I may not be remembering correctly about Hwy 3 but all the roads you mentioned are well worth riding.
    bdesj likes this.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    FH7 is what 162 is called when it turns to dirt and goes through the mountains,the summit is Mendocino Pass and the snow at 6200' is melting quick Im sure,but I doubt it is passable yet this year. Mendocino National Forest is on facebook,they showed 3 feet of snow on summit about a week and a half ago.

3 between 36 and Hayfork was clean and fun last Sunday,theres 1 coffee shop on left as you come into Hayfork that's a good one to stop at.
    bdesj likes this.
  4. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  5. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be out of town this weekend, or I would try to go. Camping at Black Butte lake would make for a good place to gather. At least this time of year. The summit will be snowed in for awhile yet but some good riding can be had. Little uncertain about your route plan as far as coming and going back to your neck of the woods. Like are you coming in off 89 or 36, running 3 South, ect ?
    It is just that I don't have you "signed in" and if your going out the Ditch grade you may miss the sign in spot. Let me know and I will give you some ideas on how to connect all the local roads so you can hit them.
    I will be competing on the skinny bikes down at Wilseville Saturday and Sunday.
  6. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's okay, I'm uncertain too :D
    Actually, I was thinking 70 over the mountain, then patch together whatever two-lane heading the right direction to get me across the valley without riding through the middle of Chico. But now that you mention it, 36 from Susanville sounds pretty good. Since you guys think FH7 probably isn't clear yet, I doubt I'll go that far south this trip. Black Butte just comes to mind cause I happened into it once a couple years ago and liked it, really not sure what other camping options are available on the "far side" of NorCal, I know where BB is and it certainly does the trick for me.

Signed in? You mean a picture with THE SIGN?
  7. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was the last Friday in July, 2017. The next week they started the Dinsmore realignment.

[​IMG]
    DaFoole and Hop-Sing like this.
  8. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went back and read the original idea of this thread. Didn't even know there was an ADV sign, but as luck would have it...

Attached Files:

ChicoProf likes this.
  9. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on. I will add both you guys.

If you come in on 36 and don't want to drive down South to Black Butte there is a decent campground right here in Red Bluff. It is By the river at the old Diversion dam. About 2 miles South at the MacDonald's on 36 at Red Bluff which is Sale lane. It is an extension of the Mendocino Forest.
  10. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the campground tip, HopSing. Sycamore Grove? Looks pretty easy to find. Yeah, if I come over on 36, I won't head all the way down to Orland. I know I can easily find a place to roll out my bag between Chester and Mineral, but I have had to hunt quite a bit when I get into the Sac valley or across to the other side. If I get into and out of Lassen NF too early to call it a day, I'll keep on rolling and camp right there. Still waiting to find out which set of plans I go with this weekend. I have an invite out to a friend for cage camping up in way-north NV, so depending on whether he chickens out on me or not, I`ll either be hiking Highrock Canyon or chasing Trinity curves.
  11. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be headed down to 36 in less than 2 weeks. On reviewing the Caltrans map, there don't appear to be any full closures this year.

Any issues with 36 or the surrounding roads currently?

I'll be traveling on 96, 36, 3, Platina, and Van Duzen/Ruth Zenia/Alderpoint.

Here's my sign in for 2019 - I was headed to SoCal in February for some desert camping/riding and had to stop by for a pic.

20190313_140404.jpg

Thanks for any/all road condition info.
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I might try to slog over the top on M4 on tuesday,probably snowy also.
    I got a fresh Knobbie on the back though.
  13. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, crap. I didn't make it to Trinity. Got an earlier-than-planned start yesterday with a meandering route towards Red Bluff when my voltage monitor started flashing red at me after dinner in Chester. I killed one headlight and rode back to the Greenville Campground (closed, but I had little choice and nobody bothered me), got up this morning, pulled the fuse for my unswitched headlight, and rode home with crossed fingers. Stroms are known for alternator failures, but the voltage monitor saved me from having to implement a recovery plan. Well, that wasn't TOO bad- had a solid day of good riding, and after I get a new stator installed' I`ll arrange for an extra day off to be able to enjoy a stretched weekend over in Trinity and Mendo. Thanks for the tips guys, and have a great weekend. Good luck down in Wliseyville, HopSing.
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just came across 36 from 395 to the coast on Wednesday. All clear. No issues. Alderpoint is also good the whole length.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  15. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Rode 36 yesterday,

Multiple electronic signs stated full closures M-F, starting 5-13. Will be open 12-1 each day.
    Bike Guy likes this.
  16. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode Hwy 36, I nailed a turkey vulture that was feeding on a deer carcass. The was 5 years ago, tomorrow! (I was riding back from Vancouver.)
    Broke a turn signal (left front), had feathers all bunched up in the radiator. (2012 Tiger 800 XC.)
    GF behind me said the bird "exploded across both lanes."
  17. Hookalatch

Oddometer:
    I rate turkey vultures as the number 1 road hazard I encounter in this area. Lots of close calls with deer, rock slides, even icy roads but the number of near bird strikes far outnumber all others. They are so big, take off so slowly and seemingly without regard to direction they really pose a hazard. You are lucky it hit the bike. Taking a hit in the chest or worse, the head, is not going to end well.
  18. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Yes, the bird did hit my left knee pretty good.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Its worth noting that the signs that say "Free Range Cattle" along 36,can actually mean cows in the road.
    I came flying out of a corner out before Wildwood and wham there was 10 or 11 cows out in my lane. I could see no one was coming so I was out in the left lane before I knew it.

Ive hit a cow at 55 mph out in Nevada on a dirt bike,it was not good.
  20. Hookalatch

Oddometer:
    The situation in the few counties that have open grazing laws can be even worse. Depending on who has the better lawyer you may be responsible for not only the value of the animal you hit but also all the potential offspring. Applies even to hitting a black animal on a dark night. I live in a part of Shasta county that has open grazing laws. Lassen, Modoc, Siskiyou, Plumas, Sierra and parts of Shasta County have open grazing laws. In these areas land owners are required to put up fencing to keep animals out, not vice-versa. Regardless I still think the turkey vultures pose a much higher risk due to much more frequent encounters.