Red Bluff sign in...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hop-Sing, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    black cows lives matter
    Foot dragger likes this.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    None the less,after I hit that cow I flew 60' down a rough dirt road doing some bouncing and tumbling with a DRZ400 hot on my heels also flipping and tumbling then landing on me the second I stopped and laying there,it was probably chuckling.

Never let it be said 54 year old guys cant take a hit. I sprained my whole body especially my thighs that hit the handlebars and were the pivot point for my 60' flight of wonder.
    But wobbled around the next morning and straightened the front of the bike out, and rode an 80 miler towards Onion Valley reservoir till we were stopped by snow.

Our fearless leader rode into the snow in 3rd gear and made it about 25' till the bike abruptly buried itself and stopped,all 300lbs of him flew a good ways up and out and pirouetted in on his head. That was the end of our 5 day desert camping and riding trip,loaded up and drove from Denio back to Chico.
    DaFoole likes this.
  3. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    Finally adding a picture after all these years and only living about a mile away from the sign, I kept telling myself I would wash the bike and make it all shiny and then go take the picture but never made it happen, today I was out for a ride and remembered about the sign and went and took the picture even though the bike was dirty...
    vlcsnap-2020-01-08-16h18m57s177 (2).png
  4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last time I deliberately went by there to snap a pic, there were cars parked in the shade under the tree. Thought it wouldn't be welcomed to be in a stranger's picture so I just passed by.
  5. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend hit one with his chest (down in Mendocino Co.) , nearly knocked him off the bike, he rode on to Boonville for coffee. Some other riders were there and asked "WTF is that smell?", when he hit the bird it barfed on his jacket and I'm told it is the worst odor imaginable AND that he now knows why the birds are also called "puke eagles". He tried to save his favorite jacket but nothing would get the horrendous smell out, had to throw it away...
    Hookalatch likes this.
  6. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough, not long after making the post you quoted I was hit in the head with one of these birds. I didn't see it coming at all and it still remains as one of the most shocking things I have ever encountered. It was like being blindly hit with a baseball bat. https://advrider.com/f/threads/bird-strike.1389087/
    victor441 likes this.
  7. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes! some harrowing tales in that thread, I'll keep a closer eye out when riding the backroads...up until now my friends experience was the only bird strike I'd heard of.
  8. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    That is a huge bird to hit at speed! I to a hit to the shoulder from a smaller bird at 75+ mph and that was bad enough. Had a couple close calls with the big ones, but been lucky!
  9. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update: I have been lost riding my Trials Bikes the past year and haven't been on this site for awhile. Got KyoXR added and will be making a new sign as the one still hanging in the tree needs to be replaced. I didn't think it would make it this long so I didn't work very hard to make the one that has been there since 2015. We only have 25 riders that have stopped and taken a picture but I am still hoping it will catch on. I rode 27 events last year on the trials bikes in three different series. Pulled out the top overall in all three series. Going to try to move up this year on my old bikes to the Expert level. Not sure if I can do it but I want to try. Got at least the same amount of events planned for this year if I can stay healthy enough. Sold my BMW, but still have a DR 650 and looking for something else to round out the stable.
    KyoXR, ChicoProf, CrazyCooter and 5 others like this.
  10. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    Finally snapped a pic at the famous location on my way out for an afternoon ride before the weather cools off.

Rode west on 36 to Vestal, Pettyjohn, attempted Tedoc Gap but had to turn back from snow, and back out Cannon.

Since I started building on the 701, it's been nothing but working on bikes and no riding......That ended today! 20200214_134249.jpg 20200214_142921.jpg 20200214_142939.jpg 20200214_153452.jpg
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    3/5/2020/. First ride of the year out 36. Totally clean pavement and passed all of one car on the way to Mad River and back. The newer pavemento is nicely seasoned and was fun to rip on today.

The Monitor of hiway 36 needs to get serious about a new ADV sign. DSCF3922.JPG DSCF3920.JPG DSCF3918.JPG
  12. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is spending all his free time making trophies. But your right, it is looking a bit ragged.
    ChicoProf and CrazyCooter like this.
  13. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading down to Leesville..
    Little temperature dropped today...

20200306_093338.jpg
  14. Hookalatch

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are back in full swing. Did you go down thru Elk Creek and Stoneyford to get to Leesville?
    waylongway likes this.
  15. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    On short days like this I fly down the freeway about an hour and a 1/2 to Williams and then fly backup...
    The day got better and better...
    20200306_112954.jpg
    20200306_115618.jpg
    Freeway lol....
    20200306_124823.jpg
    20200306_131735.jpg
    Hell I might have to go back to work soon... Ah fuck...!!
    Hop-Sing, Renner, CrazyCooter and 2 others like this.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    So whats the skinny on Harrison Gulch road? Can 299 be reached off of 36 on it? If not then what else is there right in that area?

Im not sure if you are also co-ordinating trash pickup along 36 as monitor of the road...........but best to hop/sing to it if that's the case.
  17. Hookalatch

Oddometer:
    I have never been on Harrison Gulch Rd. but according to the map it connects to Deer Springs Rd. I have ridden Deer Springs from Hwy 36 to where it comes out on Hwy 3 close to 299.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  18. CrazyCooter

Oddometer:
    Yes, after it turn into Deerlick springs it pops out on Hwy 3 just south of Hwy 299. Graded gravel road.
    Foot dragger and waylongway like this.
  19. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. got you added. That gravel is looking tasty.
    waylongway likes this.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Once again,36 will be closed out by Dinsmore for ongoing never ending roadwork. Starting fairly soon according to the roadwork guy I talked to on Thursday.

There is also a new bridge being built,its like a huge freeway overpass over a creek. Not real far west of where 3 ties into 36.
    I would guess at 25 million dollars for what they are doing,maybe more. A hillside will be taken out and when you see the over pass you'll see what I mean. Its a huge thing.

And will eliminate 1 tight corner.
    CrazyCooter likes this.