1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

"red coat trail" trough Manitoba and Saskatchewan?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Roux-80, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it a good idea to ride the red coat trail (hwy 2 in MB and hwy 13 in SK) on my way to Calgary this summer? Look like less crowded than the trans-canada hwy ans the difference in milleage isn't noticeable.

From google street view it look like a giant grass desert....:rofl

So what do you think?
  2. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Just need to watch your fuel stops and some areas of southern Sask. has limited accommodations as the oil and gas Industry is booming.
    I have been looking at making a similar run this summer on my Sherpa, eventually ending up in the Cypress Hills.
  3. maraisrider

maraisrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to be historically correct the Red Coat Trail isn't #2 highway. Our Provincial Government ignored history and all data available to say a highway miles north of the original trail should be designated.
    The RCMP trek west started at Fort Dufferin, 2 km north of Emerson on the Red River. The original encampment is still there and you can still see the depressions in the soil that had the horse barns.
    If you have a dual sport you can head west on gravel from there and follow close to #3 highway through Haskett, Snowflake (see if you can find it!) Cartwright, Deloraine etc.
    With a street bike there are several small highways that stay close to the trail
    There are markings along the trail and it's a pretty nice drive, for Manitoba!
  4. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Does the car need a steering wheel in MB? :rofl:rofl

Dawm......those road are straight for miles. I'm not familiar with this here in QC .
  5. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Lots of oil patch traffic on highway 13. Stoughton , Weyburn , and towards Manitoba border: trucks hauling all kinds of stuff, smaller service trucks etc.
    You will see road signs saying
    " redcoat trail "
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    A little stop in New Bothwell??? Looks like a lot of the Western Poutine cheese does come from Manitoba.:D

http://bothwellcheese.com/

The big 5lb bags from Sysco Foodservice and the $tuff sold at the local store.:wink:
  7. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    It's so flat and straight that if your dog runs away from you in the morning, you can still see him running in the late afternoon...:rofl

Just kidding, there are a number of places just off the Red Coat that very nice for riding and camping... North of Carlyle SK, Kenosee has camping and a nice Bar.
  8. Golaiy

Golaiy n00b

Oddometer:
    Are you camping or hotelling? Hotels are scarce as mentioned before due to the oil. Moose Mountain Provincial Park is very nice, I go there often. The 13 is very doable by bike. You get a mixture of some of the badlands, the grasslands and the prairies. I try to take the #1 as little as possible. Gas stops are good. Just try to be travelling during the daytime. Saskatchewan tends to close up at 5pm, unless you are looking for a bar. Be ready for the wind around Shaunavon.
  9. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Mostly camping, but look like there are a very few campground around here. I plan to ride the 13 in SK then the 501 and the 41 north to the trans-canada HWY.
  10. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    There are good camping options available:
    - entering MB, the Whiteshell offers great camping, West Hawk and Falcon Lake are just off TC # 1,
    - further west along the US border is Turtle Mountain Prov Park (you wanted to take the southern route along the border),
    - entering SK Backroader already mentioned Kenosee Lake at Moose Mountain Prov Park,
    - further west along Hwy 18 there is camping on both the east and west side of Grasslands Nat'l Park, and also at Wood Mountain Regional Park,
    - carrying on westward there is a very nice campground at Cypress Hills in the SK side (centre block), and in AB in the west block side by Elkwater Lake.

Am actually looking at doing some of this this summer myself.
  11. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    There is a good chance accomodations will not be available in and around Estavan and Weyburn due to all the gas activity.

May I suggest on your return trip, you head north of Regina to Lumsden then go east through the valleys. It's not a direct route but the scenery is pretty good.
  12. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for Manitoba, but for Saskatchewan the secondary highways including # 13 can be fairly rough. I lived in the SW corner of Sask for many years. I'm not sure of what type of bike you are going to ride, but if you don't mind some gravel you can go past Fort Walsh Fort and on into Alberta, then continue just about straight across to Milk River. If you go through Eastend Sask they have a pretty good Dinosaur park that is worth a stop.

Accommodations in a lot of the small Sask towns is pretty well non existent, but some of them do have camping facilities with & without much for services. You'll have to use Google to check out what's out there.

You'll have to add a few more days to your trip as it will take longer to go via The Red Coat Trail, verses the main hwys. You are heading west so the wind will normally be an issue ( unless you get lucky and chance upon a windy free day ). The wind will be less of an issue on the secondary roads because you will be going slower, maybe some oil field trucks in some areas but less semi's compared to the major highways.

Just do your research and it will be a great ride. I think a fellow by the name of Cormorey or something similar has published a book about the gravel roads across the country. Might be a good read and offer some tips.
  13. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    I ride a super tenere, so ruff road isn't an issue. I also plan to ride 1000km/days on my way to Calgary. I don't plan to spend a lot on time in the prairies, but if a can find a less boring road than the trans-canada I will.

Looking on google street view the 13 in SK is a gravel road between Consul and the 41 in alberta right?
  14. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    I wish you all the best on your 1000 kms a day on the back roads. You may want to re-think some of your plan. With all the 90 and 100 kmph Hiway speeds and combined with the small towns to slow you up it's going to be some really long days on the bike.

Not saying it can't be done, but there is a good chance you will be sleeping in the ditch and waiting for gas stations to open.

The Trans Canada has a higher speed limit and plenty of gas stops with more places to stay as well.
  15. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    I need to stop thinking like a hwy truck driver some time :rofl:rofl

I will be on vacancy after all.
  16. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    There is some campground I found while checking on this website: http://www.tourismsaskatchewan.com/where-to-stay/campgrounds

Weyburn: 2nd Ave S & 4th St S

Ogema: Ogema regional park

Assiniboia: regional park

Lafleche: minucipal camp round

Ponteix: notukeu regional park

Gull lake: Corner 6th street and howard avenue

Eastend: eastend campground, Riverside motel
  17. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Some of those regional camp grounds are pretty disappointing, one picnic table, no water and usually a dirt track for the locals to hot rod around.
  18. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Wich one in particular?
  19. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Probably all of the ones you identified. Aside from Weyburn & Estevan, these are very, very small communities south of the Trans Canada. Like Montana, the very south portions of SK & AB are very sparsely settled.
  20. Roux-80

Oddometer: