1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

"red coat trail" trough Manitoba and Saskatchewan?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Roux-80, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief

They may have water & shower, but they'll likely not be much to look at. Often the little town/municipal campgrounds are a co-located by the fair (exhibition) grounds/sports field type of thing... and little used by people passing thru - having ridden through that area several times I can't ever recall seeing anyone set up in one of these little town campgrounds. Not saying people don't stay there... just that they are not that popular compared to Provincial Parks. The Wood Mountain Regional Park however looks to be the exception: http://www.woodmountainpark.ca/
  2. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the inputs.

As long as I have a shower and a spot to set-up my tent I will be fine. I don't plan to spend a lot of time here, around 6 o'clock I will be back on road.
  3. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    No problem. BTW, Google Maps streetview camera cars have been along Hwy 13 & 18 there in southern SK, and you can use the streetview function to look around a bit in some of these small towns... might give you a better idea of what to expect. Those that have no experience with small town life on the prairies might be surprised how small some of these places really are - why many of them can't support a store, or even a gas station.
  4. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Look like New-Brunswick, often, a dot with a town name on a map mean 3 churchs, 2 houses and some potatoes :D
  5. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    Now your getting it. The southern highway is a good ride. Reasonable condition, lots of small towns, but a lot of places roll the sidewalks up after 6 and Sundays are still a day of rest. Enjoy the ride, and meet some salt of the earth people, even if it takes you an extra day to do it. It beats a bomb down the trans Canada any day.
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I can send you to a few places like that in Quebec. One church...probably closed,:D, no gas for sure....no store/Poutine cheese or Ginger Ale for lunch.:cry

But lots of gravel roads and humps/hills.:clap
  7. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    I should try to put a genuine quebec poutine in a can, for my survival kit....:rofl
  8. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Anything but the Trans Canada, across there. You get to circumnavigate Calgary, as a bonus
    Lorance has a rr pertaining to this. looked great. he wasn't in a big hurry, from what i could tell.
  9. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    Are you sure about the spelling? Can't find it(Lorance) by the search function.
  10. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
  11. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    yah, Lornce.
    my apologies, Lornce.
  12. Roux-80

Oddometer:
  13. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  14. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use to Live in Gull Lake and that is the municipal campground and it was always OK and in fact over the years I've since stayed there a few times. Eastend is a good tourist destination so I would think it would be fine as well and if not Shaunavon is just 15 miles east of Eastend. For what you are after ( most bike campers aren't too fussy ) any of these will be fine.
  15. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When are you planning your trip?
  16. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    July or august this year.
  17. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than the wind, possibly mosquitos and some years grasshoppers, you should have a great ride. That is a warm time of year and plan your gas stops with the larger centers as I'm not sure if your bike needs premium fuel or not as that might be an issue. Talking about the southern route here not the Trans Canada.

I currently live in Lethbridge Alberta but spent about 25 yrs at various locations in Southern Sask, so am fairly familiar with anything west & south of Regina.

We have a saying in the SW that the gophers pack a lunch as there is not a lot going on in some areas. How long do you have and if you don't mind some gravel I can give you some alternate routes to get into Alberta from Sask.
  18. IronJackWhitton

IronJackWhitton Chasing my Trunk to the next adventure

Oddometer:
    Take heed of the advice to plan your fuel stops.

When folks say things shut down at 5:00 PM they aren't kidding -- and where in most places, that means you just cant get a Redbull and Beef Jerky, but you can still get gas, that is not the case in Saskatchewan. Apart from the major centers, it seems that very few places have pay=at-the-pump gas pumps -- so when the fuel stations are closed, that's it!

I did a drive from Edmonton to Ontario over the Holidays and had to turn around and backtrack nearly an hour because while there was plenty of gas stations, there were no PATP ones (mind you this is the Yellowhead and you are talking about a different route).

Still, it was unexpected so be prepared!

Regards
    Craig
  19. mxbulldog

mxbulldog Braaaap!

Oddometer:
    I think you will find most of these small towns are opening up new Co-op gas stations and many have pay at the pump fuel for after hours with all of the activity going on down there in the oil field. Take your time and enjoy the diverse scenery through the area.
  20. Roux-80

Oddometer:
    I got around 400 km fuel range, add to that a 4L rotopax and I sould be good for near 460-480km, so fuel stop will be easy to plan, just have to remember to refuel before 5.