1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

"red coat trail" trough Manitoba and Saskatchewan?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Roux-80, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Hekto, am in same position. I didn't have a dual sport until just a few years ago, so gravel travel wasn't considered. That route up to Coleman is exactly what I'd like to do too... and then do the FTR up to Hinton/Edson & back home. Would make an awesome loop. Hard to miss taking in Waterton tho... bit of a hidden jewel of the Rockies IMO, being a bit off the beaten track (perfect). Nat'l Park Pass & camping fees sure not cheap tho!
  2. bent forks

bent forks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is your web site or blog address for your explorations this year?
  3. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look like I may have to change my plan for Saskatchewan and Manitoba due to the flood this week :huh

I should be there on saturday. I gonna take the trans-canada instead of.
  4. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Garnotte, I've been watching the news regarding road closures... even TC-1 was closed in a few places today! I feel for those that have been out riding and have been affected by the storm. The forecast actually looks good for the weekend. The news is saying June was record rainfall for the Brandon area... lots of road washouts.
  5. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ridden the Red Coat Trail in the past couple of years? Thinking of doing the Red Coat from west to east then returning from the Winnipeg area by the Carlton trail route back to Edmonton.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  6. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Since last time I responded in this thread, been out that way a couple of times. I'm not aware of any issues with the routes you're looking at. This is my preferred route west loosely following the Red Coat Trail:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-southern-route-across-the-prairies.1236804/

In my sig line you'll see the link to the Fort Carlton trail RR.
    grumpybear likes this.
  7. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GWN, Thanks for the route map. Will help a lot in planning. Over the past few days I have read your reports a couple of times.
  8. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Glad to be able to help. I'm looking forward to being able to get out there again myself to Grasslands and Cypress Hills. I think that whole southern region is under appreciated. Don't forget to check out Castle Butte, which you see on the cover here. It's just north of Big Beaver in the Big Muddy valley. :thumbup

20210122_221237.jpg
  9. HikerDaddy

HikerDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am from Lafleche

Campground will have basic supplies and no showers from what I remember. Stay at either Thomson Lake which is 6km north or I'd recommend you skip highway 13 and go south through Big Muddy, stay in Wood Mountain Campground, head through Grasslands National Park and Cypress Hills

Highway 13 is in good shape.... especially for an adventure bike but the real cool places are south of 13. Carry gas or make sure you have access to a Card Lock and don't expect to get a gas station on a sunday
  10. GreatWhiteNorth

Oddometer:
    Last time I was out that way, we camped at McGowan Ranch/Rock Creek campground in the East Block portion of Grasslands (awesome experience). A friend of mine I was riding with also grew up at Lafleche, so we stopped there, checked out the town a bit. It still had some businesses open, got gas there, had lunch at a Chinese restaurant on Main street... We went north, returned home to Winnipeg riding thru Gravelbourg and Moose Jaw. We stopped at Thomson Lake Regional Park on the way, just wanted to take a quick look - the lady at the gate would NOT let us in unless we paid the daily use fee, each of us. That's something to keep in mind as you travel thru Saskatchewan, as most regional and provincial park campgrounds will charge that daily use fee on top of the camp site registration fee - per vehicle.
  11. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    following along. lotsa history along that trail.
    Lornce had a great ride report regarding this path, iirc.
  12. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love it, always take it when travelling cross country.

We stopped at Bear's Den Lodge in Shaunavon, stored our truck and trailer there, and then rode the bikes to BC via Cypress Hills. A lot of the gas stations that show up on the maps are Co-op Cardlocks. Carry a bit of cash with you, and if you show up and the gas station is closed, wait for someone to come through with a card and they will (likely) fill you up on their card in exchange for cash.

The little towns are fun to stop in and check out.