Red Raid Cambodia tours, anyone done one?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by rhino_343, Jan 12, 2009.

1. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hi, just wondering if any of you guys in the Asia forum have been on a Cambodia dirt bike tour with Red Raid? Opinions?:evil
    There web site looks good: http://www.motorcycletourscambodia.com/

A mate and I are looking at doing a tour with them for 8 days or so, probably in April. Anyone know what the conditions will be like that time of year?:ricky
  2. LaudJohn

LaudJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on the tour company as I do my own tours ...

but April is the Hottest month in Cambodia!!

Beer with ice is your friend!!!!

The tracks are all dusty and dry by then.

enjoy yourself.

cheers

LaudJohn
  3. thealien

thealien Not From Around Here

Oddometer:
    If you go then do the cardoman Mountain tour as the trees will give you some shade!
  4. 76er

76er no estoppel

Oddometer:
    i'm abroad in s'pore for 4 months (till early may) and want to do some riding in cambodia. would love to do a tour also. i ride in the US (missouri). any suggestions? thanks!!
  5. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic

Oddometer:
    All I have to say is go for it. Cambodia, Vietnam, and Thailand are all great places to ride...as are the Philippines.

Tour companies can make sure you have a safe, enjoyable, and productive tour with good support. I believe that the Honda XR 250 and XR400 bikes are rare in Cambodia and Vietnam. The tour company may be your only way to get that bike for a short trip.
  6. thealien

Oddometer:
    No Warthog, you can easily hire XR250s by the day from either Angkor Motorcycles in Phnom Penn, or, as last resort, Lucky Lucky. (Also you don't even need a motorcycle licence....!). I have hired from both, the Angkor Motorcycles were in much better condition. Deposit either your passport or $USD 1,000. Daily hire around $US 15 per day. You can then explore by yourself, or if you wish, take a mechanic\guide with you for around $50 a day. If you want a 400, you will need to go on an organised tour with Red Raid or Dancing Roads.
  7. Warthog

Warthog TeutonicChronic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! That seems like a reasonable cost for a good XR250.

Anyone heard about XR250 rentals in Vietnam?
  8. innocent bystander

innocent bystander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Can't help with Cambodia but at the risk of threadjacking I will reply to Warthog.

Just did 2 trips (Dec/Jan) with Offroad Vietnam on xr250 they had 2 of these. Not sure if they rent them on a ride yourself basis.

They charged an extra $30 per day over normal price. Highly recommend them, their trips and the bikes. Well worth the extra money for the 250 for the extra power and better suspension.

They are very quick with email replies so you could check, I think it may be Tet holiday for a while but outside this time replies were within 24hours.

I may have seen one other in 3 weeks and 2000 km so they are fairly rare.

Echoing thealien, Vietnam is a great place to ride, they don't know how to build straight roads.

Mark
  9. LKN4DRT

LKN4DRT Relocated

Oddometer:
    Choose wisely. This bike came from Angkor Motorcycles in PP. $15 by the day or if you taking it ino the country they want $20. To do it over again I will search out a better moto.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428007

Oh and if you can wait 2 yrs for the next tour Ben will show you an adventure you won't forget. We went to many remote areas that the other tours won't take you.

http://toursintheextreme.com/
  10. 76er

76er no estoppel

Oddometer:
    I just checked out Tours In the Extreme ... holy shit. Looks amazing. Any photos you can post? Is the next tour really 2 yrs away? Thanks brotha
  11. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Only an idiot would surrender their passport for a motorcycle rental or anything similar.And $1000 deposit-keep your XR250.No way.
  12. thealien

Oddometer:

Whats the matter, only got one passport have you!
  13. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After living in Vietnam for 7 years and Cambodia for 18 months leaving passport is standard, never had a problem.
  14. womble_

womble_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've just finished two weeks with Dancing roads and would highly reccomend them. I'll do a full report soon, but feel free to get in touch if you have any questions...
    :D
    Douglas