Redclay Rally Oct 22-24 Clay City, KY

Discussion in 'Rallies' started by RacingSmith, Jul 25, 2021.

1. RacingSmith

RacingSmith n00b

Oddometer:
    Redclay Rally (4th annual)
    Clay City, KY
    Oct 22-24th

A TSD (time/speed/distance) format navigational rally.

Previously exclusive to trucks/4x4s and the overlanding community. We are having a Moto Division and this is the first year!

Im heading up the Moto side and want to let you guys in on the action!

We will be camping in a static spot this year (Previously we camped along the routes every night in a different spot) This format will help us riders not have to carry so much gear.

This is NOT A RACE !!
    It is a challenge of off road and navigational skills.
    For those unfamiliar with this style event, You are provided a .gpx file 24 hrs before the event of the routes planned.
    It is up to you to try and match the undisclosed Pre-ran time for the sections. You will know overall time for the day. Checkpoints along the way will score you. Every min early/late accrues points. Rider with the lowest score at the end of 3 days wins!
    Bonus sections and challenges will award negative points.

This is not geared towards Novice riders. You are on your own. It will be challenging and long days in the saddle. You will however be rewarded with great scenery, fun routes and awesome people!

There will be raffles and prizes awarded to 1st - 3rd place. Swag like patches and shirts for the rally will come with ticket purchases.

The event camping will take place from an offroad park which will also be hosting a Hare Scramble event that weekend. Expect a great time at camp with many like minded people some and some live music im told.

In the past we relied on ourselves for all food and shelter. Its a self sufficient event. Thats part of the challenge. However this year you can tote in your camp set up and we will leave from and return to the same spot each day.

Bikes will leave before trucks everyday. In groups (so if you bring your buddies and for time sake) in 3 min intervals.

Gas is where you find it.......food as well......

Contestants are highly encouraged to camp with the event, no motels and crap....weve had people do that in the past and its really missing the spirit of the rally.....

The rally has garnered attention from some big names in the 4x4 industry. Im already getting contacted from some people in the motorcycle industry so Im aiming to get some good prize packs together.

Bikes must be street legal, there are transfer sections. There ARE NOT CLASSES.
    Again, thats part of the challenge. Bring what you think will suit you best.
    Yes, I know a crf300 is easier to ride single track on than an r1250gs.... but you are trying to match the pre-runners time.

The prerunners bike will be a ktm990 adventure. I chose this as a "middle ground" of sorts. I dunno, dont crucify me, had to pick something I could attain....

There will be paved, rock, single/double track water crossings etc.

This rally has been an absolute blast in the past, I am really looking forward to introducing the motorcycle division!

More Info on the rally can be found at Redclayrally.com
    Registration is $190 a rider and can be found on the site.
    There will be a limited amount of tickets available for contestants so by all means start making plans! The 4x4 division is almost sold out already!!

Any questions please DM or find my personal information on my website racingsmith.com

Thanks guys looking forward to rolling out more media and sponsorship prize packs as we gain steam!!
    All the best, Y'all !
    RIDE FAST COOK SLOW
  2. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey there! This event has my attention, but I was hoping for a bit more information, if you’re watching this thread.

Looks like it’s 600 miles over the three day weekend, so I presume we should arrive Thursday and not plan to leave till Monday. Camping is all good for those 4 nights?

I’ve never done a timed rally like this, but it sounds like I need to get your GPX routes into my device, figure to end at your designated time, and ride the day how I see fit. I’m guessing there is no signage on the route.

Should we carry enough fuel to ride the 200 mile daily route without stopping? I figure the trucks won’t stop, so if a bike were to run to a gas station and back to the route, they may end up mixed up with trucks. Or does the route go through towns every day, so grabbing gas isn’t going to take more than a couple minutes?

I appreciate any info you can give. I’m just trying to wrap my brain around everything! I’d hate to register and drive the 4 hours to get there, only to learn I missed something important.
  3. RacingSmith

RacingSmith n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello !!
    Totally understand!! The first year I competed in the truck side was the first year of the rally and it was a huge unknown for everyone !!

We will leave out first thing Fri morning ahead of the trucks so arrive the day/night prior, set up camp and hang out with the crowd! Most leave Sunday night but stragglers wait it out till Mon and that's fine. The mileage is approximate and stems from previous years. The trucks just mapped this weekend and they have not reported total mileage as of yet. They are cleaning up the tracks to send to me.

Roadrunner Magazines editor in chief will be joining me for the pre-run in a couple weeks. From the looks of the pics and videos I was sent, the trucks had a hard time. We are highly suggesting at least 2 winches per tuck team and experienced spotters. Also being prepared to run into the night on a stage. We will see how this translates to the moto division. We expect to be a bit quicker in pace and not have the same hold ups as a 2+ truck team would have. Still some of the ruts/washouts would swallow 40" tires. Gonna get technical...and showcase some beautiful landscapes!!

You will receive the GPX tracks a couple days prior to the event. This prevents pre-running and or planning. It is your responsibility to load them into your navigational device(s)
    [Redundancy is key you DO NOT want to get lost out in the middle of nowhere with no service]

You will know overall time the pre-runners took for the day. HOWEVER that's NOT the key to achieving the best times. There are undisclosed checkpoints along the way. You are trying to match our SECTOR TIMES.
    You do not want to miss a checkpoint!! This keeps the competitors "honest" as you cant take short cuts or large "hot lines".

Fuel: We will pass through towns and have chances to refill. Part of the rally is experiencing all that region has to offer not just the trails. Local business are very appreciative of the commerce it brings to the area. Still, know your bike and make plans. I will be on a KTM990 we all know they get crap gas mileage...Also Florian and I will have to eat and everything at some point during the pre-run. Also help unstick bikes and spot and/or assist each other.

A bit of advice here is take the time you need, to do what you have to, but make it up in pace when you resume. In the past when I competed in the truck division the co pilot in each rig would feed the driver on route and help keep the team moving. So all meals were preplanned and accessible while moving. If we stopped to use the restroom or for fuel we made it back up. I never placed out of the top 10 so I guess that's a good place to start?

On the website there is a forum. There is information on there. though we are just starting the building of the Moto side. Email works [email protected] as well as Pm here on the forum. Any questions ask away ! I'm always here to lend advice. Also if you haven't already look into following @Redclayrally on Instagram as Zach just pre-ran the truck side this weekend and has been dropping little nuggets!!

Ride safe !
  4. hennessyktm

hennessyktm Still here...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun event. A buddy and I are thinking of doing it on our 690's. Question...what time does the event end on Sunday and when do most folks start heading home? I know it depends on when you finish, etc., but trying to plan - we both have to be back at work Monday morning and it is an 8.5 hr drive one way.
  5. RacingSmith

RacingSmith n00b

Oddometer:

Hey man, it’s gonna be a blast we hope you can make it! To answer your question.
    Yep, you are right! It depends on how long it takes you that day.
    Fwiw trucks took 6hrs on Sundays tracks. I’m headed up next week to pre run and add any needed distance to the days.

You are not the only one to voice this concern, so we keep it a bit lighter on the last day.

Start time for bikes will be early.

I just got word today that Bridgestone is now onboard so we have a set of tires up for grabs, adv Moto magazine subscriptions, double take mirrors, and prob some cycle gear offerings.

Looking forward to going up next week! I will bombard our social with media so stay tuned!
  6. hennessyktm

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the reply!! Have fun next week, we look forward to the update when you get back.
  7. RacingSmith

RacingSmith n00b

Oddometer:
    hennessyktm likes this.
  8. hennessyktm

Oddometer:
    Just bought my ticket. Quick question, do we camp out of one main staging area/base camp and ride the routes from there and back each day? For example, we start the race at Red Clay basecamp day 1, finish at back at Red Clay basecamp day 1, and so on until finish back at camp day 3? Pretty sure this is correct, just want to confirm so we pack the appropriate gear on the bikes.
    RacingSmith likes this.
  9. RacingSmith

RacingSmith n00b

Oddometer:

Awesome!! Appreciate the support!
    You are correct, we end back at camp each night.
    Also Zach has scheduled the routes to start on Fri after noon for the trucks. So they will be running into the night day 1.
    Bikes will go out before the trucks.

Florian and I are headed up Mon to set times and adjust routes for bikes. Keep an eye on social media and on the Red Clay Rally forums for more details.

Also, Zach did a podcast here. It is truck focused but gives you an idea of the spirit of the rally!
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/6xtVCWHSSpNzxo5OiHIWm5?si=epmuoBf8TXG6s2UzLAcZzQ&dl_branch=1
    hennessyktm likes this.