Redfish Rides the Black Hills + More

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Redfish Hunter, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Against my better judgement I rented a cabin in the Buffalo Bill Cabin Village. I am really glad I did. The price was right, the place was clean and the location was good.

And there were Bunny Rabbits!

[​IMG]

There was a stuffed version of my wife on the bed:

[​IMG]

Parking was close and easy:

[​IMG]

I am very well organized...

[​IMG]

We walked over to Pat O'Hara's for a late lunch and it was amazingly delicious. I did not take my camera on the walk because I did not expect the food to be spectacular. The selection of beers on tap was pretty impressive too although they were completely out of everything they brewed there.

We were staying overnight in Cody because:

[​IMG]

I will just say that there was far too much to see in this place. I was overwhelmed to the point that I forgot to take pics of many things I should have. There are 5 separate museums in this building and they are all worthy of your time.

A couple of random pics that really don't represent what is in this place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was fascinated by the skills of the carpenters and blacksmiths who built this stage coach. These men must have been something to see, especially given the primitive tools they used.

[​IMG]

Next time you hear a motorcyclist complain about his suspension, think about this pic. I bet @NC Rick and Cogent Dynamics could do something with it!

[​IMG]

And if anyone needed proof that The White Man screwed up a perfectly good system when they defeated the Indians:

[​IMG]

This day was our Turning Point. We were now pointed back South and East, I would zig zag around but we were now working our way toward home. But I was still a couple thousand miles from Louisiana and I knew there was more adventure waiting.

The rest of this little RR should be pretty good so don't give up on me yet.
  2. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, beartooth pass, certainly one of my favorite roads. Although not so fun in a car with the family screaming at me to watch the road and not the scenery!
  3. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    We made an effort at drinking the motel room coffee but it was sub par so we just poured it out. We walked to Granny's restaurant, had a very good breakfast and then walked back to finish loading the bikes and point ourselves south.

As we were fueling the bikes I saw this...abomination.

[​IMG]

I know I shouldn't judge, but I loved my ST1300 and could not imagine doing that to it. At least the old warhorse is still getting ridden. My ST was a Great Motorcycle and I know that whomever owns that one must really care about it to customize it like that.

We took Hwy 14 out of town and we were amazed at all of the mule deer feeding inside the town of Cody at that early hour. We turned south on Hwy 120 across Alkali Lake and pointed the bikes toward Thermopolis.

Of course there was Road Work.

[​IMG]

But things lined out and we rolled south through central Wyoming.

[​IMG]

At Thermopolis we turned South on Hwy 20.

Just south of Thermopolis is the Wind River Canyon. It's not really the Wind River, it's the Bighorn River but I don't guess it matters. Byron really wanted us to ride this canyon, he had ridden it before and wanted us to see it. I am glad he was so insistent. It was less than 20 miles but it was Very Beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take note that both the road and the train track pass into a tunnel to leave the canyon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Shoshoni we turned West on Hwy 26, then used Hwy 134 to cut off the triangle and used Hwy 133 to rejoin Hwy 26 near Kinnear. We rode 26 NW all the way to Moran and the south entrance to Yellowstone. We stopped for a decent lunch in Dubois at the Village Café. The waitress was beautiful but very unhappy. She did a good job but I was glad it wasn't me she was mad at.

Of course there was rain...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We almost had a Redfish Temper Moment in Dubois when we stopped to fuel up and a group of Razor drivers blocked up the pumps but were not pumping gas. It's like they know they are not really supposed to be on the road legally so they want to push their luck further by being inconsiderate. They finally moved but just enough to let us fuel up. I had some unpleasant thoughts and opinions about those folks every time we encountered them.

In Dubois we saw a Big Potato!

[​IMG]

As we approached Togwotee Pass (9659 Feet) we hit sleet and rain. The temp eventually dropped to 46F and stayed there. We were already in our rain gear anyway, we just rode on. Pop and I shared some laughs about the forum tire discussions as we watched that Harley follow right along behind us the whole way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Moran we turned south on Hwy 191 toward Grand Teton NP.

I don't think I will ever see the Tetons without clouds and rain between us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was some sort of festival and quite a mess in the town square in Jackson Hole so I just snapped a pic of the antler arch and kept riding.

[​IMG]

We stayed on Hwy 191 down through Bondurant and I really enjoyed that canyon. This was yet another road that I figured I would never get to ride but somehow here we were.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We turned south on Hwy 189 toward the small town of Big Piney Wyoming. I have a very good friend in this little town and we had ridden out of our way to go visit him. His wife had prepared supper and we had a fantastic visit.

Of course as I approached my destination:

[​IMG]

We got checked into the Big Piney Motel just in time for:

[​IMG]

So my friend drove over and shuttled us back and forth. I am always a little amazed at the friends I have made over my career. I don't want to get too emotional here but there are some really wonderful people in this big world and I am beyond blessed to have the friends I have.

Especially since some of you know what a smarta$$ I can be.
  4. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Pop and I did not sleep very well that night in the Big Piney Motel. It smelled like there was a dead rat somewhere in the room and neither of us liked the aroma.

At least it was nice and cool that morning:

[​IMG]

We fueled up and rolled south on Hwy 189 with a few scattered pronghorn to keep us company. We actually saw a lot of wildlife on this trip but sadly almost never got a decent pic of any. That would change by evening but for now we just rolled along waiting for the sun to warm things up.

We took Hwy 372 down to Green River and then stopped at a Penny's Diner in Green River for a delicious breakfast. We hopped on I-90 for a few miles and then took Hwy 191 south toward Utah and the Flaming Gorge.

[​IMG]

Pop had inadvertently moved a switch on his camera and was having some difficulties. We figured it out at this overlook but I decided to use one of the pics he created during this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the dam I parked us next to this mid '80s jewel. Pop had a 1984 model the same Wineberry Red as that helmet before I totaled it for him. I still miss that bike.

We were fortunate enough to speak for a few minutes with the owner and also a young man on a First Gen KLR650. He had ridden from Florida up into Canada and was slowly riding his way back home. He had been on the road for several months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got into some twisty stuff before we reached Vernal Utah but we were stuck behind some slow traffic. Directly in front of me was this white, front wheel drive, utility van. I was desperate to pass him but then... Pop and I laughed and laughed at this guy. I had the best time following this fellow and decided not to pass him even when I had the chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The traffic cleared for us after a while:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Vernal we took Hwy 40 east into Colorado and then turned south on Hwy 64 at Dinosaur. Then we took Hwy 139 south all the way to I-70.

[​IMG]

The pavement sucked on Hwy 139 but the scenery was fantastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things flattened out as we approached Loma Colorado.

[​IMG]

In Loma we stopped for fuel and I had a chance to talk to a really nice fellow riding a Concours 14. He was riding from Oregon as I understood it back home to Mexico. He passed us a couple of times on the way there and he graciously allowed me to take his picture. Super nice fellow, and he could ride pretty darn well too.

[​IMG]

I had to take I-70 east for a few miles and then we rode through the edge of Grand Junction Colorado to pick up Hwy 50 for a couple miles.

Then we turned south on Hwy 141. Redfish Loves Hwy 141.

[​IMG]

Remember my earlier comment about no wildlife pics? Well, that changed in a hurry.

I caught a glimpse of some very, very distant shapes at the end of a field and pointed them out to Pop but by that time there were cedar trees between me and the... animals. Pop wasn't sure and suddenly there was a gravel pull off and I shut us down. I got my helmet off and thought I heard the faint bugle of a bull elk. I am 49 years old and this was something I have wanted to hear all of my life. We don't have elk in South Louisiana.

Long story made short, I went Elk Hunting. And Trespassing. But after a brief stalk through the cedar trees, Byron and Pop and I all got to see some elk and hear that bull bugle.

There were only a few elk in the field when I began my stalk. But as the big bull started bugling those cow elk came running into the field. It was an incredible experience for me, possibly the highlight of my trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still carrying the magic of those few moments in my heart.

Back on Hwy 141 my happiness was destroyed by a Prick in a Prius. He was doing that Slow in the Curves and Fast in the Straightaway thing that cars often do and I took that as simple foolishness. Lots of folks do it, it means nothing. But when I would try to pass him it almost seemed like he was trying to prevent me. Hmmm.

[​IMG]

I finally told Pop we were going to have to do it one at a time. I blew past him and he did his best to stop me. Then when Pop would try he would move over into the left lane to block. Pop finally got around him but Byron had no safe chance on the Harley. The jackass tried everything he could to catch us but that was not going to happen. We couldn't run off and leave Byron so we stayed far enough ahead of Prius Prick to be safe but close enough that we could watch Byron. As we approached Gateway and the lower speed limit I decided it was going to end there one way or another. Fortunately for all parties the Prius turned off as we got into Gateway. I stayed mad for quite a while after though, this ruined a lot of my joy of that ride.

But...It was Hwy 141.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My punishment for trespassing? These unholy damned pointed sticky grass seeds. Byron and I both threw away our socks and I spent at least 10 minutes per boot pulling the darn things out with tweezers. My riding pants still have some stuck in the mesh. I may just burn the pants, I do NOT want that grass to grow here.

[​IMG]

I had rooms at the wonderful little Backcountry Inn in Norwood Colorado reserved for us. We found some very tasty gourmet burgers and some very tasty beers at The Great Divide in Norwood. We ate outside in the cool evening air about 15 feet from our bikes.

And I was another day closer to Home.
  5. bsscooter

bsscooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your RR. Must be pretty special to have the opportunity to share a trip with your Dad and cousin!
    TreasureState and Redfish Hunter like this.
  6. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    There was not much in the way of a Real Breakfast in Norwood so we rolled down Hwy 145 with the rising sun shining directly into our eyes. I kept catching glimpses of mule deer in the yards and fields we passed which scared me. I could barely see the road in front of me with that bright Colorado sun in my face. Soon enough a very healthy mule deer doe was standing in my lane and seriously trying to ruin my morning ride. I swerved into the left lane and my two companions followed as best they could. She did not seem bothered, she just moved those big ears around like enormous antennas and looked at us like we were stupid.

We took Hwy 62 to Ridgeway where we had a Very Good breakfast at Kate's Place. Very Good food there and good service too. We chatted with some fellow motorcyclists outside and they assured us it would be good and it was.

We took this route because Cousin Byron wanted to ride the Million Dollar Highway again. I was fine with that. It was a glorious morning but there was plenty of traffic.

[​IMG]

Ouray:

[​IMG]

The Million Dollar Highway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Due to some traffic issues leaving an overlook Byron ended up in the lead. That actually worked out perfectly. We had a fantastic ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

South of Durango we took Hwy 160 over to Pagosa Springs and then Hwy 84 south into New Mexico. Then we took Hwy 64 across to Taos and the Rio Grand Gorge. The pavement on Hwy 64 really needs some work so the glorious sweepers were not as much fun as they used to be. Pop and I upset each other when I was trying to rush us out of an overlook to get in front of a Very Slow truck pulling a trailer. In the rush he forgot to put his glasses back on and the Very Expensive prescription glasses went tumbling down the road. We rode for quite a while in silence, I was feeling pretty guilty.

Of course that delayed us enough to get behind another slow vehicle anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were working on the bridge. You can see the worker down low in the structure.

[​IMG]

I let my Garmin route me around Taos. Pop and I really liked that.

On Hwy 518 we encountered a Forest Fire. We were not sure if it was intentional or accidental but there were plenty of folks watching it.

[​IMG]

We were worried they might shut the road down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took Hwy 94 out of Mora down to Las Vegas, New Mexico. There were quite a few bugs on my shield by this time.

[​IMG]

We spent the night at a Best Western in Las Vegas NM. We needed to wash clothes and they had a guest laundry. We had a mediocre supper at Pino's New Mexican Restaurant. At least we slept in a clean and comfortable room. My companions got an early bedtime and I stayed up washing and drying our clothes.

Getting closer and closer to Louisiana and Home...
  7. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    We took advantage of the hotel breakfast, found some fuel for the bikes and then took Hwy 104 toward Tucumcari.

[​IMG]

There were plenty of pronghorn out this morning but none felt like posing for pics so we kept rolling South and East.

I liked this old adobe and finally got a pic of it as we rode by.

[​IMG]

As I always do, I rode into Conchas Dam State Park for a break.

[​IMG]

There was a man cutting the grass and out of nowhere he rode up and unlocked the little building that houses the petroglyph they found in the 1930s when they built the dam. He told us to just close the door when we left. We really appreciated this, I have peeked through those windows many many times but I have never been inside the building before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued down Hwy 104 toward Tucumcari.

[​IMG]

As much as I like Tucumcari, we just rolled south right through and took Hwy 209 through Quay and Grady. Those little "towns" really aren't even a wide spot in the road.

I took Hwy 19 because I wanted another windmill pic and short break from the saddle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hwy 19 took us to the Texas border and we rode through the wheat farming town of Friona. The straight and flat roads were not exciting but the pavement was decent, the speed limits high and the farms and fields made for a nice day.

[​IMG]

We took Hwy 86 East and I took a little detour on Hwy 256 to pass through Caprock Canyon State Park. It surprised Cousin Byron and we enjoyed the last real curves we would see on our trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Estelline, TX for a break and for me to arrange for the night's lodging.

[​IMG]

At that point I put my camera away. I wished later that I had not, we got into almost 30 miles of road work on Hwy 287 and I got so beat up with gravel that I wanted to have a chat with whatever Texas genius had arranged this cluster mess. I was thoroughly irritated by the time we finally turned onto Hwy 82. By that time the wind and road construction had thoroughly beaten Redfish. My back was doing what it always does on long trips, that burning sensation in my right shoulder was sapping me of my stamina and robbing me of my happiness.

Hwy 82 was nice though and we stopped at Dieter Brothers Restaurant in Lindsay, TX for supper. I knew from experience that the food and the service here would be Good. I also noted that with our motel right across the street and with them having Shiner Bock on tap my evening might take a nice turn for the better. I wish I had brought in my camera. I have never seen a beer mug that cold. Those Shiner Bocks literally froze in that frozen mug. It was like drinking nectar, they went down like candy.

We had a decent night in decent rooms at the Lindsay Inn.

And I was just One Day from Home.
  8. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Like all my Ride Reports at the end I run out of words and I run out of pics. As much as I love the East Texas countryside and as much as I love the lush greenery of my home state, pics of Louisiana seldom have the same impact as pics of Out West.

Pop was doing Very Well, I was tired, something in my back was Wrong and I really, really missed Mrs. Redfish and Redfish Jr. I was second guessing my route choices because once again I had failed to make it to Albuquerque to see my friend HotRodZilla. There is just not enough time and there is not enough money to do it all.

Did I mention I missed my family?

We found a good breakfast at the Trails Inn restaurant on the east side of Gainesville on Hwy 82. I weaved our way back through East Texas and the ride was generally pleasant but was somehow less enjoyable after the Awesomeness that we had experienced just a few days before.

I stopped us for a rest on the shore of Lake Fork in Texas. This started off pleasant...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until... Byron started reminiscing about a fishing trip with his late father. His Dad had caught a 7 pound bass in that lake but had to release it because it was in the Slot Limit. Somehow this set Pop off badly. As we rode away I tried to soothe him by explaining the logic of the rules on that Trophy Bass Lake and that made him even madder. I could not win, I just wanted The Ride to go well. I neither agreed nor disagreed, I just knew the reasons why the rules were that way.

Pop's irritation faded and eventually we found ourselves on Texas Hwy 31 approaching the Louisiana border. I had one surprise left for my cousin. He was "collecting" the state border signs for his nephew and I had a relatively unknown but very old border marker for him.

As I pulled off the highway into the dirt parking area, I suddenly found myself in Deep Sand. The front end of my FJR was plowing to the right and I knew it was going down. I would love to tell you how my Awesome Dual Sport Skills saved me but honestly I think it was pure luck. I started riding dirt bikes back in 1976 and I still suck but I did not go down.

This pic is for my friends from the DR650 Thread. I didn't fall down guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was 12:30 by the time we got back on the road in Louisiana and the humidity and the heat... We stayed between 98 and 100 degrees F for hours.

I got Pop back home, Byron turned off for his house and I had an excellent supper at Mom's table. I unloaded Pop's bike and parked it in his shop for him. Honestly I think he was in better condition than me by that time.

It was dark and 7:44 PM when I got home. I was tired and hurting but thrilled to see Mrs. Redfish and Redfish Jr. I was even happy to see the damned Cat.

[​IMG]

By this time the burning pain in my right shoulder blade was really making me grouchy. But there was no rest to be had, Mrs. Redfish (BigUn) started asking me about a box that had been delivered in my absence. So I was cutting open the mysterious box, trying to talk to Pop on the phone to let him know I was Home Safe and wanting to just sit down and rest. The box contained a set of like new FJR/Yoshimura mufflers. These highly sought after mufflers are the new version of the ones on Pop's bike. I had no clue how they came to be in my office and how I got possession of them.

I still do not know all of the folks involved but apparently my friends over on FJRiders forum got together and bought these mufflers as a gift to me. I am still not sure how to thank those folks and since the admin folks hid the thread from me, I will probably never know who actually did what.

I am never comfortable typing the words, "The End" because it never really is. Not as long as the FJR sits in my shop. I know that Big Yamaha is ready to take me anywhere in this country at any time. And hopefully to visit some of you.

Thank you for reading my little Ride Report.
  9. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along!! Really enjoyed your ride/Life report!!
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  10. Zapgarou

Zapgarou Ripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the excellent photos and commentary on your trip, just wish I could take one like it.
  11. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to document a most excellent adventure!
  12. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most enjoyable! Thanks for sharing the ride with your Pop, Cousin, and us.
  13. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for reading about our little trip. I think I took and posted too many pics this time.

Thank you for reading it. This trip had very little drama, things went very smooth this time.

You can take one like it. I can remember when all I did was dream about Taking a Motorcycle Trip. Then Cousin Byron bought a Harley... He pretty much forced Pop and I to go with him to Deal's Gap. We trailered the bikes for that one. Nowadays Pop and I might trailer our Dual Sports but Pop is NOT putting that FJR on a trailer.

One of my dearest friends rides a '14 FJR and lives just north of you on the SW side of Lafayette. He has been after me to go eat at Shucks in Abbeville. Is it worth my time?

Thank you for following along. These RRs take a lot of time and effort and ADVRider is not a road bike focused forum. I sort of wondered if it was worth the work to do it here.
  14. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Great read, thanks for taking us along!
  15. Zapgarou

Oddometer:
    It's my opinion Dupuy's just across the old bridge in Abbeville is a much better restaurant. Shuck's is ok but is just another fried food joint.
    Give me a shout if you ever come down this way or if you ever want to venture down to Venice let me know I have a home there also.
  16. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Venice? I am the Redfish Hunter and Venice is one of my favorite places to catch a redfish! I have spent a little time down there chasing those tasty rascals.
    Zapgarou likes this.
  17. Zapgarou

Oddometer:
    LOL, Kind of figured you might have fished down there. Actually my home is in Buras and I'm originally from there. Katrina put me over on this end of the state but I rebuilt my home there. I usually go down there every two weeks either to cut the dam grass and if the tides are right go fishing.
    Fishing isn't worth a dam around here in Vermilion Bay.
  18. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You definitely did not post too many pix!

I visited the Black Hills and many of the other places in your report this year as well, but in a camper van with bike in tow. My bride of 53 years isn't up for more than an occasional 100 miles or so on the bike, but happily lets me have 'riding days' to explore on my own while she stitches quilts together in camp. My sons are busy raising kids and pursuing their careers, with no time to go riding with an old man. So yep, I'm sure your Pop cherishes these rides . . .
    EZMoney, Redfish Hunter and rjnutt like this.
  19. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your ride report greatly, and realized I was about 2 days behind you from Moran, Vernal, UT, and down CO 139, on my Tenere. I had those same low clouds and rain that you had at the Tetons coming south from Gardiner, MT through Yellowstone. It’s a wonderful part of the country!
  20. sheffib32

sheffib32 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always love reading a Redfish ride report. As a native South Dakotan I know just how good the Black Hills are. Thanks for taking us along!