Redfish Rides the Black Hills + More

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Redfish Hunter, Sep 13, 2019.

1. st2sam

st2sam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, excellent job as expected. I've read your previous reports. :thumb

Thanks again...
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  2. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report; great camaraderie and great pics.
    I appreciate the Harley content as well!
    Thank you for sharing.
  3. Pa.Hangard

Pa.Hangard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride. Enjoy your time with you dad.
    I might have missed it but how long were you on the road?
    I'm planning on the Black Hills area for next year from Pa and back.
  4. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were almost two weeks. We left on a Saturday morning and returned late Wednesday evening, so 13 days total. I try to use as little Interstate as possible.

I rented that cabin for 4 nights. We arrived late Monday and left Friday morning. That gave us 3 full days in that area. I think you can cover most of what you want to see in the Black Hills in 3 full days including the Badlands to the East and Devil's Tower to the West. I will say that the area is FINE and that a motorcyclist could spend a couple of weeks there. 3 days is the minimum I would recommend to stay in that area. If you have a Dual Sport or ADV bike there are a LOT of gravel and forest service type roads that could occupy a couple weeks.

Thank you for reading! These things take a lot of work to compile, when folks like you give positive feedback it tells me it was worth the effort.

Thank you again for reading. I am making plans already to bring my wife and son back on this same route next summer. No bike though...

Redfish always makes it rain wherever he takes his motorcycle. Always. I hope you like your Tenere. If I could not have my FJR the Tenere would be my next choice. I really, really like the Super Tenere.

Glad you liked it, thanks for reading. Redfish needs more Rides so he can do more Reports!

I appreciate you following along. I worry that with ADVRider being focused on off-road and Adventure Bikes my FJR Ride Reports are not as well received here. I post them here anyway hoping there are some folks like me that ride more than one type of motorcycle.

I hoped you would appreciate the Harley being included. I am not ashamed to tell anyone that in the tighter, low speed switchbacks on Iron Moutain Road and Needles Highway that Harley gave me all I wanted. Cousin Byron was in the lead and he has learned how to make that big HD perform in that situation. Anyone who has seen a police motorcycle competition has to know that Harleys are Very Good for tight, low speed maneuvering.

To summarize, I REALLY appreciate all of the positive feedback from all of you.
    de Vaca and EZMoney like this.
  5. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful ride report. Glad Pop had a good time (I'm over 70 also and hope that I still have some rides left in me). Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post it.
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plenty of space here for Redfish ride reports! After passing 70 I find myself spending a bit less time on dirt, and appreciating my Harley's stability on tight twisting asphalt. Those FJR's rock, remind me of my cross continent trips on RT's back in the day.
  7. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Bravo Zulu Redfish, great story and anytime you get your Pa out for a lark, it’s a great thing. Mine’s a bit senior to yours but the adventures are golden any way we can make them happen. Yesterday it was to the stamp & coin shop - I’ll take any time with my dad.

Bring on the FJR reports, we know you’re a DR guy at heart...
  8. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Redfish, Great write up brother. I have criss-crossed some of those same roads, but never stopped to "do the Badlands" properly. I have bookmarked this RR in order to recreate portions of the route someday.

It has been said before, but I am very glad (and jealous) that you got to do this sort of ride with your Pop. All of the roadwork, grass hoppers, crappy motel mattresses and Prii (plural of Prius) in the world cannot take that away. #jealous Good thinking on adjusting the bar angle to take pressure off of his lower back!

I too remember the book Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, and would love to (although have never been able to find the time) to visit the museum in Wall, SD. The book impacted me deeply, thank you for sharing that.

Also, I have never been to Devil's Tower, but knowing that it is connected to your sister-in-law makes it all the more of a draw now. Should you ever find your way up near Montana again in the future, drop me a line!

TS
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :clap
  10. japatters2019

japatters2019 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great report!!! I know I'm late to the dance but wanted to chime in. I had been bikeless for several years while we raised a family. When I sold my last dual sport KTM 9 years ago, I said one day I will ride again and an FJR is what I will ride. I've had my FJR for 3 months now and have loved every one of the 1800 miles I've put on her. My boys have started lives of their own and the wife and I called it quits. :clap All I have left is my 9 YO little girl and she's ready to hit the road with daddy. So the planning has begun for our first long trip early next summer to Bryce Canyon on the FJR. I'm in central MS so if you have any route suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll be looking up your other ride reports as well. What a thrill to see those FJR's doing what they were meant to do. I throughly enjoyed every bit of your report, especially the pics!!!!
  11. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate you reading my little RR! Thanks for the kind words.

I have thoughts on routes to Bryce Canyon as well, we did that trip back in 2015 from South Louisiana. I did a decent RR on that one too but it is not on this forum. I posted it on at least one other FJR forum, I will have to dig that up if I can.

As you can tell, my routes usually avoid interstates as much as possible. If you are going to Bryce Canyon I strongly suggest you explore more of Utah. It's a great state to ride on an FJR.
    HPPants likes this.
  12. japatters2019

japatters2019 n00b

Oddometer:
    I will search the other forums as well for that RR. My plan is to also avoid as much of the interstate as I can. I want to enjoy the scenary with my little girl and move at a slower, less congested pace.
  13. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    I was able to find the RR on our Utah Trip. It is posted over on FJRforum. It's in the Ride Reports section, and the title is "Get Busy Living". It was posted by my friend HPPants but I chimed in after he was mostly done, it's a very long RR since it is basically two Ride Reports in one. I think his Photobucket account is done so his pics are not there or they are blurry. My pics are still in place and the two RR's together should help you out.

I am always available via PM and I will try to point you in what I think is the Right Direction.
  14. japatters2019

japatters2019 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your offer. I'll definitely be in touch.....Now to find that Utah RR...
  15. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a great trip. Right up to the point where I crashed....
  16. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    :beer
  17. japatters2019

japatters2019 n00b

Oddometer:
    That RR was epic on all sides. The two of you contributing both of your perspectives on the same trip was a thrill to read. I couldn't stop until I finished the whole report. I really enjoyed the happy ending for you Pants. Glad it all worked out. That's been a few years ago now, do you still have the same FJR?
  18. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, that bike was totaled. But I bought another one just like it with 1400 miles and it just crossed 60K last month. Been on some terrific trips (with and without the Redfishes) since then. Many more to come. Time really does heal all wounds.