Registering a bike from interstate.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tenerrod, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    G'day all, question for those who have done this before.

I live in WA and I'm investigating buying a new mc from QLD or VIC and riding it home.
    Now this purchase would be from a licensed dealer on a full ADR approval, roadworthy and dealer delivered, zero km's, brand spanking new bike
    That's the up side.

Down side is rego.
    Flaming licensing office says l have to rego it in the state l buy it and have the bike inspected ($70) and rego changed to WA ($?) once I'm back, at my cost of course. Not super exy but still a WofTAM IMO.
    I don't even know if l can register a bike in QLD or VIC, l will call and ask.
    Short of doing the wrong thing, I'd like to hear what others have done in the past?
    You'd think l was trying to ride into N Korea on a Panzer!

Only thing l can think of is to get local dealer to get all the legit details and register it to me and give me the plate to fly over with, bolt on and ride home legally. This sounds illegal, so it probably is and l won't do it. I will ask someone l know in the industry on their thoughts on it though.

Freight and 48hr permits are out of the question due to $ and time.
    No dealer network in WA.
    Distributor reluctant to send to a non dealer which is fair enough.

Is there a better way?

Cheers TR.
  2. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get on line and get a maximum PERMIT (think it's 7 days) and ride it home - done. Did it when I bought my last RE from Brisbane.
    earlmi and Tenerrod like this.
  3. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    I registered my own bike in Qld without a QLD license but I did have a residential address there at the time.
    I think I had to provide something with my name and a QLD address (ie Power Bill) and they issued me a Customer Reference Number (CRN). I could then register a vehicle in my name in Qld even though I had an interstate (Vic) license.
    I doubt you could do this in Vic. I think you would need a Vic address and a Vic license.
    Tenerrod likes this.
  4. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.png image.png
    Tenerrod likes this.
  5. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    feel your pain with living in a different world
    i looked at a lot of options doing similar but gave up and only look in nsw now to save the heartache of the rego crap
  6. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    If memory serves me, you do not put your licence no. on the form - they are only interested in the bike not the rider.
    Tenerrod likes this.
  7. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    An unregistered vehicle permit is no problem, but you probably need one for each state you are riding through. It should also be no problem getting it registered in the state where you buy it, you will probably be able to use the dealers address. A mate is buying a caravan in QLD and the dealer gets them registered at his address for interstate customers. The problem with this strategy is stamp duty, you pay it when you register the bike and again when you transfer it. I don't know how much you pay in other states but in NEW it ain't cheap.
  8. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Yep @Beet, I don't think they cared if I had a license or not, only that I could show that I lived in QLD.
    I transferred a caravan into my name there as well but can't remember how I did it, as I was a homeless gypsy at the time. I was on my way to a job so may have got the employer to send me a letter.
  9. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a dry run on the Victorian site and it let me put in a WA address - they are not interested in the HUMAN they want the rego. and insurance parts covered, but 7 days is the best and it's a ONE of for that VIN. No.
    Tenerrod likes this.
  10. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin Inner City Elite

Oddometer:
    Costs and conditions of unregistered vehicle permits vary from state to state.
    (Only because I've recently been through this) Unregistered vehicle permits are valid Australia wide regardless of state of issue. They do differ from state to state in both costs and conditions. For example NSW offer (in my opinion) a reasonably priced and flexible system while, at the other extreme the South Australian permit is issued for a maximum of three days...not really sufficient time to ride to QLD for example.

I think you may find that stamp duty only applies to transfer of ownership and not change of state.

The op would do well to check "unregistered vehicle permit" with the rego authority in state of purchase.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  11. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Firstly WA doesn't recognise Qld unregistered vehicle permits so that's out of the question/too hard basket.

I would get it registered as single seat rego in Qld (or twin if you really have to). You can use my address if you like. It effectively halves the rego cost.

Ride it back and register it in your state, send the plates back to Qld and get a refund on your rego (or maybe your Transport Authority can do it for you)

As D. Ohlin says, stamp duty should only be paid the once, but check with your Transport Authority to make sure, as that is a big expense on a new bike ($30 per $1000 here)

If that is the case, then you will only be up for what it's cost for the actual plate in Qld (plus their costs to administer) and maybe a small loss for early cancellation of rego... over and above what it would cost to register over there.

Or you could organise a freight company...probably cost you between $800 and $1000 but saves you airfare, tyres, fuel etc and maybe you'll get a discount from the dealer as it's not registered.

( I bet you're looking forward to riding it home though :-) )
    AUSSIEADV, Dean Ohlin and Tenerrod like this.
  12. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    In QLD (dont know about other states) you have to pay registration duty when you register it in QLD, regardless of paying stamp duty when you bought it in another state
  13. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    And whatever option you choose if you are going on a public road they will all require CTP insurance.
  14. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    All great info, l know this has been discussed 205 before but not by me.
    Cheers for info, advice and offers, l might sweet talk my local dealer into something no more dodgy than using a mates address.
    Big Willy likes this.
  15. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    If it's a new bike, why not just buy locally?
  16. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    No dealers in WA.
  17. dunc

dunc Hodophile - Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    cant use a dealers plate for that distance and time to get it back to W.A. then get it regoed ???????
    only a thought
    not sure if there valid in another state
  18. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    No you couldn't do that. But lets say a dealer rego's a bike, pays the money and collects a plate, then a plane ticket and ..... cough.... rides home on a WA registered bike....
    It sounds to easy so it's probably a no no but I'll check.

The only reason WA transport won't help me is because I'm not a dealer and hence can't be trusted. Her exact words two days ago, not mine.
  19. drdave_2006

drdave_2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rod. What is the bike that has caught your interest.
  20. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Long timer

Oddometer:

It's a lot cheaper in WA, only $3 per $100.

:augie
    Mouse and Big Willy like this.