Registering a bike from interstate.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tenerrod, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    I find that very hard to believe...:nah
  2. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    How do you get (two) to Wales in a mini?
    Over the PRSevern Bridge.
  3. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
    Can't the Qld dealer have it delivered to you in sunny Rockingham, without rego?
    Tenerrod likes this.
  4. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    All interstate vehicle permits authorising the use of a vehicle on a road will be recognised in WA, provided the holder is not resident in WA. This includes Temporary movement permits.
    Where the person responsible for a vehicle is a resident of WA, an interstate permit will not be recognised. A WA temporary movement permit will be required to move an unlicensed vehicle.

WA permits are valid in WA, SA and NT only but generally only for 48hrs. Fark me how fast do they want me to ride?
  5. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Yes but then l miss the Across Oz run in trip and pay an extra $1000.
    I can ride it for that much fun er cost.
    Out6ack likes this.
  6. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Fuggit I'm gonna write to a transport polli and sort this shit out. Get the fuggin states lined up.
    If Trump can do it......

Edit
    Nah screw it I'll just get two permits.
  7. Beemerbird

Beemerbird RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As soon as the R1200GS was first mooted, I applied for the plate "R12GS" here in Tas. When a bike fortuitously became available in Melbourne shortly thereafter, Southbank sent all relevant bike details to my local dealer (who didn't even have any 1200s yet!), who then registered the bike using the R12GS plate. I flew to Melbourne, plopped the R12GS plate on the counter at Southbank, to loud gasps. They fitted everything, including the panniers and topbox which arrived the day I did, and I caught the Spirit of Tas back home that night.

Do you have a dealer of some sort who could do the same for you in WA, perhaps?
  8. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I believe l do...
    As l mentioned earlier it sounds so easy it must be a no no.
  9. Beemerbird

Beemerbird RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was so simple. The bike was first registered in Tassie, before it was picked up in Melbourne, using the R12GS plate which had been held by Transport Dept awaiting the arrival of a bike to attach it to. Therefore, it was registered and had 3rd party insurance - all legal.
    Tenerrod likes this.
  10. aussiehusky

aussiehusky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something here i'm missing..beside that bloody ridiculous just tell them you bought it over on a trailer. I always thought that you can't register vehicle in a state you not a resident off ?
  11. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    The QLD government website lists "moving an unregistered vehicle to another state for registration" as one of the reasons to get an "Unregistered Vehicle Permit" so that's definitely the right option I think, otherwise why would they offer it?

Price is $32 per day and it's valid for up to 7 days. You also have to pay for CTP insurance... they don't list a price for that.

You just need to call NSW/SA/WA and make sure the QLD permit is valid for all of them, or do you need multiple permits.

Regarding wether you can register it in QLD, drive it to WA, then register it there... you can definitely do that as well. Tourists register cars all the time without living in the state it's registered in. But it's going to be a lot more expensive than an unregistered vehicle permit.
  12. dgp

dgp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is the same overall value that big willie quoted, $3 per $100 = $30 per $1000
    Big Willy and Tenerrod like this.
  13. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    :ricky

Give that man a cigar...
    Big Willy and Tenerrod like this.
  14. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    @abhibeckert All interstate vehicle permits authorising the use of a vehicle on a road will be recognised in WA, provided the holder is NOT a resident in WA. This includes Temporary movement permits. (Twatwaffles)

It's ok l have narrowed it down to two sensible and feasible options.
    Take the WA plate with me which is registered for the bike and ride it home (if l can get that done through an independent dealer her in WA
    or......
    Put it on a truck and not ride a brand new bike across Oz in its first week.
    Might leave a trail of parts behind me.
  15. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    $1000
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    You have to have proof of residency to register a vehicle in another state, but you dont have to have a licence from that state as long as you have enough points of ID, ask me how i know this in VIC

17. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    In NSW you can drive an unregistered vehicle to an inspection station or motor registry. If this also applies in WA, you can use your UVP to ride from QLD to the WA border, then ride to your nearest motor registry legally. In both of these cases the bike must be road orthy, so don't wear your tyre out crossing the Nullabor.

Edit. I just checked and it appears you can purchase a WA UVP online and your circumstances comply.
  18. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    Yes my circumstances do apply. But you have to realise it's 2 days from the border to the nearest inspection place for a $70 tick in the box, then off to the rego office, and I'm only half way home by then. So it's automatically a special application for more than 48hrs.

Thanks all.
    I know what l need to do.
  19. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    2 days from the border and you are only halfway home? I guess it's not an R1 then. :lol3
    Big Willy, Tenerrod and Mouse like this.
  20. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I did say earlier what it is.