Registering a bike in US as a foreigner?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by billy_037, Feb 9, 2008.

1. billy_037

billy_037 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Hope someone can help me out. I am planning of buying a bike in the US, and to keep it there till spring. Living in Canada, this time of the year, it is a bit too cold, to ride it over the Rockies.
    So, does anyone knows if I can register a bike in the US for a few months, and bring it up and import into Canada later.

Thanks already!!!

Billy
  2. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
    Buy it. Register it in Canada. Then carry the plates with you when you come get the bike. You would need a residence and insurance to register the bike in the US. Here is the link to the CO DMV.

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MV_dir/wrap.asp?incl=titlereg

By the way I'm in Iowa so I wouldn't take my word for it. Your post looked lonely so I thought I would do some quick research for you.

Good luck.
  3. billy_037

billy_037 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi wannaklr,

Thanks for the information. Only one problem: you have to import the bike to Canada before you can register it. I was looking in a way to register the bike in the US, before I import it to Canada. Probably the only way to go is on transit tag.

Billy
  4. CDNRider

CDNRider Banned

Oddometer:
    ...and in order to complete the importation, you need a federal inspection, contracted out to Canadian Tire (go figure). This link describes the importation process and requirements:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

When you pick up the bike, rather than registering it in the US you can get an In-Transit Permit that lets you drive it for 30 days. One benefit of this is that you won't be it with state sales tax AND provincial sales tax when you bring it into Canada. You'll need insurance or course, but insure it in Canada and it's good in the US (but not Mexico). Unfortunately if you plan on storing/leaving in the US, the 30 day limit of the In-Transit will be an issue...