Regular dino oil in a 2017 1200 GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Bumbobee, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Bumbobee

Bumbobee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damm bro, your degree in economics failed you if you think 1100 miles is 5000 km lol. More like 3100 miles. Also, the oil in there is now 1 year old and will be 17 months old before it gets changed in the spring. According to oil manufacturers that produce high quality oil like for example Amsoil signature series, they say as an "example" 20,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. In my case, it's the 1 year.
  2. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    My bad on the math, but it was correct...for 2500 km. Even with 3100 miles, I wouldn't sweat it, especially since you have Amsoil in it now. Oil does not come in cans that have " sell by " or " do not use after " tags on them. I seriously doubt your year old Amsoil has deteriated much in its' 3100 miles of use. Other than condensation that develops when a motor is not run up to operating temps for a period of time, there is not much to go bad in a quality full synthetic oil. But more to my point, if you are going to take the time and effort, why not do it right the first time ? An example that comes to mind is gas. I'm putting my 3 bikes away for the winter. I could have bought cheap 87 octane ethanol gas for $ 2.30 a gal. I opted to purchase 91 octane ethanol free gas, added some stabilizer to it and that gas will be good to go come spring.
    Motorius likes this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see real pictures of actual damage caused by leaving "old" oil in an engine over winter. I'm not talking about a bike left uncovered behind the garage with the spark plugs missing for years. You know what I mean, corrosion from condensation or etching from acids in the oil, the kind of stuff that we are constantly being warned about in oil threads. I know that somebody out there is not following the manual, but I don't recall seeing posts moaning about repair$ that could have been avoided if only the year-old oil with 3000 miles on it had been changed.

:lurk
  4. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Interesting comment about the synthetic oil being good for much more than the 6000 mile recommended interval. My 2017 GS is at 23k miles and I've been changing every 3000-4000 miles ( using BMW's syntetic oil) and I was going to change it again but it feels way to often. I'm going to start to strech it to 7-8k miles from now on. I've been keeping it on the BMW recommended schedule and had them do the break in and 12k service while the bike was under the factory warranty but that's about up and I see no reason to continue to change so often. I'm more concerned about how often to bleed the brakes and replace that fluid as well as the clutch fluid. I was going to maybe move to the 1250 as I like having the bike under the factory warranty but this thing has given me no problems and it's totally set up the way I like so I think its a long term keeper.
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used oil can become acidic and etch the metal in an engine is one reason to change the oil if a bike will be in storage. What it does to seals I do not know. I suspect that the damage is cumulative and will take quite awhile before it becomes detectable. The person who has an eleven year old vehicle that has never had the oil changed would be the type to see demonstrable damage. I’ll be surprised if anyone says they have seen damage caused by leaving used oil in as you described. But maybe there is someone out there with an electron microscope.

I choose to put fresh oil in during our winter months.
  6. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If its just going to sit ,drain it and let it sit.
  7. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel that if you are going to do oil maintenance blind you should stick to something close to the manufactures recommendation as they are recommending it for all owners under unknown conditions.

If you are going to use Blackstone or one of the other test centers for used oil analysis you are no longer blind. You know what the oil condition is. So now you have to decide.

On my VW diesel I should have changed it at 10,000 miles per VW. What I found was it was good till 17,000 miles. So I backed it up to 15,000 miles and changed it. In Texas 15,000 miles for me is about a year. So when it was time to get it inspected it was about time to get the oil changed.

YMMV
  8. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fuk outta here..
  9. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, Additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine, BMW Motorrad recommends BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate oil.

Kinda simple, ain't? Why run another viscosity? Although it's probably fine. My 2012 GSA used to recommend Castrol brand oils which, back then, I'm guessing the BMW brand oil was probably Castrol, just re-packaged/labeled. But, I think we're all grown up enough to realize you can run any brand, so long as its 5/40, SL / JASO MA2.

I would venture to say other viscosity oil is going to work. Again, my 2012 GSA had several listed that were appropriate. Usually, there were 2 or so that were good for "normal" riding temperatures and another 1 or 2 that were better in cold weather. I think we're given 5w-40 as a way to just make things simple and not have to worry about cold or hot weather....5-40 will cover you no matter what the conditions.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The viscosity will not change the additive.
  11. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I copy/pasted that directly from the Wethead owner manual...I wouldn't think additives would change the viscosity, either. I take it to mean that BMW wants "clean" 5/40 SL JASO MA2 oil....no additives.
  12. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found an interesting oil thread at bmwsporttouring.com. In response to a forum members query, BMW wrote back:

"Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding oil for your 2018 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.

BMW recommends using BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate Oil with a viscosity of 5W-40. The use of additives is prohibited. Additionally, any molybdenum-based substances can damage coatings on engine components. "

Another forum member sent off a fresh sample of that recommended oil for analysis and found that BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate Oil contains 142 ppm of molybdenum.

Considering that BMW keeps changing their recommended brands and even viscosities, with no change in the engines, and that their recommendation does not even meet their own standard, I can only conclude that it really does not make a whole hell of a lot of difference which oil is used.
  13. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Motorius likes this.
  14. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I change my oil and filter once a year, in November (cause I don’t hit the mileage marks). Why would try to avoid changing the filter just to have to change the oil again? You’re already down there making a mess. Change it once, do it right and be done with it.
    BJMoose likes this.
  15. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "quadrupedally (not comparable) In the manner of an animal that walks on four feet or four legs."

:scratch
  16. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might have been auto-correct. More likely that I just typed too fast.

Should have typed quadruple-ly, but the sentence could have also ended at the comma.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  17. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found it funny (and a bit confusing!).

:D
  18. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Boxers have always had a 6K oil change maintenance
    Interval. Stick to that and your fine, sitting or not. Oil filter every 12K or 6K if you want. For the price of a filter ill swap it out since I’m in there if I have one. If you think it will sit for long periods of time then heck, do the oil change before putting it to bed, for piece of mind, I guess...
  19. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did BMW shorten the oil change interval on 2017 models?

You said you've been keeping yours on the BMW recommended schedule and have been changing oil every 3k to 4k miles. My '14 GSW, like my '07 GSA before it, have 6,000 mile change recommendations from BMW.
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    What difference do you think the extra octane is giving you? Other than "i spent more, and more is better, right?".