1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Regular guy does Dakar with update and lost episodes.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bugfnnuts, Mar 5, 2007.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tim--me and your rode together for awhile--I was on my Husky TE-610 on that dualsport ride out of the KTM shop in Wentzville, Missouri.

You got to read this---it is so funny.

I saw your Koerta pressure suit and called MX1 to order one. Me and the gal were trying to figure out what size I needed and we were talking about you and she has met you.

She ask me how I was built-------I said "Just Like Tim"-----long pause------
    Only a lot fatter" :rofl :D

Tim is a very healthy looking guy--and I'm just a fat old man

I got one size bigger :huh

I could have smoked your ass--but didn't want to hurt your feelings:D
    [​IMG]
  2. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    Welcome back :clap
  3. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely wonderful post, Tim. From deep down on so many levels: Thank you!

All the best,
    Belgian Waffles
  4. gladiator

gladiator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [the roads through each town. Children waived. Men were jealous. Women swooned.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    They could have swooned, you don’t know, you weren’t there. I say they swooned.
    Sorry to bring up the past, but I need confirmation. Was this full blown swoonage or merely sublime intent?
    Great report. Congrats.
    <o:p></o:p>
  5. bugfnnuts

bugfnnuts Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer:

Ahhhhh yes, the swoonage.

That was quite a day for this rookie Dakar rider. I would say there was evidence of full swoon (maybe even venture to call them groupies) as well as other more modest ladies who simply implied their intent while wtihholding blatantly overt swooning due to social circumstances. Me being a gentleman and a Dakariste I fully appreciated their situation.:wink:

We would have to ask the ADVwimmens wheather or not the passsing of fully kitted out, rugged, dirty, handsome (ok maybe not me but some of them might have been) and obviously adventureous Dakar riders would perhaps, maybe, stir them to thoughts of a bit of passion.

Bugwife says it works for her. Then again she may be biased, or I need to make sure to keep her away from other Dakaristes......

Big Dog, that was fun day. Thanks for not smoking me. It would have been embarassing.

MX1 is a great group and I'm glad the gear is working out for you. It did in fact save me on two occassions. I will not dirt ride without it.

Bug
  6. Big Doobie

Big Doobie Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer:
    Thats a Wow, and a Thank You for sharing your story. :clap :clap :clap

Man have you got heart.
  7. wiseblood

wiseblood Denies further magnets Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tim:

I read your Face Plant a couple weeks ago for the first time, and have read through this tale so far. A truly amazing story. You have some serious chops in the word department, as well as the other!

Thanks for keeping this going, in spite of what you've been through. If you ever put this down in a book, I'd definitely buy it.

No pressure, but my professional productivity is at a standstill until the next installment. Come to think of it, I don't get much done while reading your chapters, either. :lol3

Warmest regards,

Jesse
  8. Looper

Looper The Dude Abides!

Oddometer:
    A noobie here to thank you for taking the time to tell your Dakar story, and to urge you to put it on paper. You have a captivating writing style which really leaves me wanting to read more at the end of each installment. Thanks Tim, for darring to take on the challange and sharing it with us!!!! Happy Trails!!! Tom
  9. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the rest of your story here Tim!!:clap Your endorsment of the Acerbis pressure suit saved my hide this summer. My elbow and chest thank you!! (so do I BTW) :thumb
    Glad to read your on the mend too. I'm sure it was tough going for a while!
  10. ridingAK

ridingAK On the Road Less Taken...

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed reading your story when it started, and it certainly hasn't gotten any worse.:clap I'm glad you are feeling better, you know you have a lot of support here if and when you need it.
  11. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a great read! I am hooked! :deal

Luc
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Dakarpretenda

Dakarpretenda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you back bud. Hope all is going well for you. :1drink
  14. bugfnnuts

Oddometer:
    Thanks, kinda miss you guys.

Rhino has 2 tryouts in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. I'll give you call next week.

OK folks the last day and my thoughts on this farce they call the Dakar now will be up later today or tomorrow.

Great race but it's like running the Tour de France in Canada, the Indy 500 at Michigan and the Daytona 200 at Fontana. Ain't the same thing. Tough as hell but not the Dakar.

Thank you for all the kind words and emails
  15. El Solo Lobo

El Solo Lobo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not nearly as qualified to critique the race as you are, but I've been thinking along the same lines. Wouldn't it have been more honest to rename this year's event knowing that it is likely that the rally will return to Africa someday? Then again, the South American rally might have suffered more if it did not have the "Dakar" branding.

Bug- I've kept up with your story and just want to add my thanks to you for returning to finish the write-up. :clap
  16. Camelrider

Camelrider wondering wanderer

Oddometer:
    Look at the positive side of the Dakar being in South America, it will be very unlikely that any casualty of the race will end up in a hospital in the Canary Islands. Even when the Dakar was held in Africa it happened several times that the finish was not in Dakar.
    Maybe some day the Dakar will be back in Africa, when there are no terrorists that spoil the fun.
    Tim, thanks for a great write-up.
  17. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    still waiting Bugs :ear :ear :ear
  18. bugfnnuts

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know. Bugwife went out of town beginning last Friday and I have had to pull double duty.

But.......she came back yesterday. I will try to get the final episodes out today but no guarrantees cause the schedule is stacked.

Taking Bugson #2 to colleges and baseball tryouts this weekend. At any rate I will try to get done by today if not it will be Sunday night.

Besides, I'm sure youse guys have plenty of reruns to watch of this year.

Thanks again for all the good words.

Bug
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :lurk

This is so much better than working, looking forward to seeing how this ends up, I can guess as you point to a crash and burn thread but I am holding off on reading it until this one finishes. Thanks in advance, sounds like you had a stressful race so far.
  20. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff !!!! so honest, so riveting.