Regular guy does Dakar with update and lost episodes.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by bugfnnuts, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Rhodie

Rhodie Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer:
    I agree that there is a debate to be had about the race relocation and it's validity as an equivelant race PD test.

And Tim's views on the new race - having taken part in a real Dakar, may not be in tune with yours or mine; but from a Dakar competitor they have more validity than those who have not, or, have yet to to take part.

I just felt that to diminish his efforts for not finishing, was a cheap, inconsiderate & unnecessary shot.
  2. bugfnnuts

bugfnnuts Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer:
    Guys it's cool

I must stress my comment was twds the org not in anyway twrd the comps

On the crkbry now but will give full rot tomorrow
  3. bugfnnuts

Oddometer:
    Managed to get online with the laptop for a minute.

I would not and do not in any way diminish the effort, guts, balls and everything else it took for the competitors to get to and compete in this years race.

I cannot compare the conditions either. My follow up tomorrow will express my longtime love of the race and disappointment in what has happened. It is a PERSONAL view of what the Dakar meant, why it means so much to me and why a race in SA does not fit that dream or view. And yes, my respect is very high for all that is involved.

If the dissenting poster wishes to question me after that then ......wellllll....

I don't really give a shit.

Naaaahhh strike that. We'll have a ride and a beer and we can compare notes. Life's too short to argue over something like this. Just know that I love the race, feal the highs and lows of all who compete, but hate what has happened to it.

I'll post my final thoughts tomorrow.

Thanks

Bug
  4. green_passion

green_passion Adventurer

Oddometer:

:clap :clap
  5. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
  6. V8R

V8R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    another day, another epic ADV thread to while away a friday with.. awesome awesome story.. thanks a bunch for telling and re-living the whole thing for us.

wow... great stuff!
  7. MiddleAgedMissile

MiddleAgedMissile Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bugs,
    You've got writing talent. I enjoyed your story, reading both threads in one sitting. I hope fortune brings you to Baja or Dakar again and you give us another ringside seat.
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya know, some of us can only ever dream a little bit of what you have done. We can stand on our pegs, roll on some throttle, and feel the wind and maybe some sand across our faces...

With that, and know a little bit of what it is to do Dakar.

Through your writing and this thread, many of us have lived a dream.

That, sir has enriched those of us who will never reach as far as you have. because of your writing and riding and experience we get a little of Dakar in our dreams, because you cared enough to bring us along for this race.

Your race.

Thank you.
  9. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    +1000
  10. bugfnnuts

Oddometer:
    What happened to the Dakar Dream?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    It is still there. I know it is still very strong in me. However the race in South America doesn&#8217;t stir my soul or imagination. Do not for a moment think that I wish to diminish the challenge of the new race or the skill of the competitors. I have the utmost respect for all of them and the effort it takes to get to the start let alone ride in the race itself. My dislike, dislike is too strong of a word, let&#8217;s call it disappointment, comes from a personal view of what the Dakar was. Running the race in South America and calling it Dakar is like saying hey guys we&#8217;re running the Baja in Texas this year. The name doesn&#8217;t make the race. The race is the race because it is the race. Where it is, is as important as what it is. Maybe the following will explain a little better.
    I first learned of the Dakar when I was in high school. For someone growing up in the Midwest the thought of racing through Africa, Morocco, the Sahara desert and the other countries was very exotic.
    I had been into sports cars, Formula 1, rally, Indy car and all sorts of racing for years. Remember, this was the era when we had no cable and most of my information on F1 came through Rob Walkers reports in Road and Track. Knowledge of most other forms of racing came the same way. Brief blurbs in magazines. I had no idea such a thing as the Paris to Dakar existed or that anyone could be insane enough to think it up.
    But there I was leafing through a car mag and someone had some pictures of the Dakar. I almost shat myself. It was by far the coolest thing I had ever seen. What a bunch of crazy sons of bitches. Holy shit!!!! Where do I sign up? The men and machines were bigger than life. It was truly man against nature. The race had seat of the pants navigation, very little help, bandits, rerouting, pandemonium and chaos. What more could you ask for? The victory didn&#8217;t always go to the fastest or best equipped. It required a massive combination of balls, skill, and a modicum of luck.
    I was into cars but the motorcycle riders were by far the ones that amazed me. I was hooked&#8230;..bad.
    Years went by and the crazies that helped me get to the Dakar and I often talked about the Dakar when we were on rides. Gee that would be cool, neat bikes, how do they do that? We would play like Dakar riders while out in Moab or other appropriate places. It was fun being with a bunch of other adults all acting 12. None (me at least) of us ever gave any real thought to actually doing the thing.
    When the race was run, I, just like most of the people here on Advrider camped in front of the TV just waiting for the days update. I even made snacks and everything. I lived out the fantasy right there on the couch with a beer and some chips.
    Then one day that pecker head Jim (the root of all this evil) calls me about going a class with Scot Harden.
    Sure, sounds fun.
    A couple of weeks later I got around to asking what is it, where is it, and when?
    You mean we are going to drive all the way to goddamn Nevada and get to ride like hell under the instruction and tutelage of Scott Harden? He&#8217;s going to teach us some Dakar shit?
    Hmmmmmm&#8230;&#8230;sounds like a party, yeah, that&#8217;ll work.
    The trip was great. We rode hard, learned a lot, drank copious amounts of liquid analgesics, and generally had one helluva good time playing Dakar wannabe&#8217;s. I highly recommend it. Scot is still doing the camps with KTM and you will not be disappointed.
    The point of all this, yes we may be getting there, is that the Dakar wasn&#8217;t just a race that could be run anywhere. Like the French Grand Prix could be run at one of several tracks in France and still be the French Grand Prix. To my mind the Dakar could be run in many different forms but it still had to be run in Africa.
    The African part made it the Dakar and made it exotic. We all grew up with the race in Africa. We didn&#8217;t pretend to be riding in Brazil. We pretended to be riding in Morocco or the Sahara. All the mental images were from France, Spain, Morocco, and the other countries the race ran through. I don&#8217;t have those mental images of South America. Now, my race memories are of Africa. That is what we talked about when we were preparing for the race. That was the goal. I am sure there are many others who share this view.
    So, in a nutshell I think it is a bit of a farce to call the race in South America the Dakar. It isn&#8217;t. The race itself is not a farce I am sure it is a great race in its own right but it is not the Dakar. Calling it the Dakar is the farcical part. Would I race it? Meh, yeah I guess I would. But you try to explain to laymen or potential sponsors the nuances.
    Yes, I would like your money to run the Dakar Rallye. I can offer this much coverage, exposure and what have you.
    Dakar huh? That&#8217;s in Africa and looks like a neat race of endurance. From what you have shown me it could showcase our product or service very well.
    Oh, no, you see it isn&#8217;t actually run in Africa to Dakar anymore.
    Really?
    Yes, I know that is somewhat confusing that they still call it the Dakar and run it in South America. No, it really doesn&#8217;t go to Dakar.
    Why not?
    Well you see there was this problem with terrorists and they had to cancel it one year and&#8230;&#8230;
    Cancelled?
    Yeah, it was a pretty bad deal.
    So what happened then?
    They decided to run it in South America instead.
    Oh?
    Did the sponsors get their money back?
    Ummmmm&#8230;&#8230;.no.
    I had the privilege to run the race with the help of a great many people with a special input and effort from a small group. Without whom this adventure doesn&#8217;t happen. I hope this group had the adventure they were looking for. Because we did it, we put together the program and actually fucking did it. We took it from sitting on the couch or around a camp fire and bullshitting about it to doing it. We went places we never thought we would be and did things we only read about.
    The only failure was mine in not finishing. I made a mistake. I think about that quite often. It really does feel like a failure. A failure I want the opportunity to overcome. But it has to be in Africa.
    That leads to the question of what is next. Book and video deals were very close before the cancellation. The plan was and is for a book for the first and second races as well as a video of the second shot including training, prep and the race. Hopefully I can do a better job than what&#8217;s his name pussy BMW rider. (sorry, Borman just pisses me off) I was going to be a year behind but depression will do that to you. Those deals are still in the works and everyone is very enthusiastic. The change of venue and economy have put a huge hurt on the project. It was hard enough to sell the deal the first time. The second time around the story had a lot going for it. I was set for a good shot to go and with a lot less stress leading up to the race. The move to South America and not knowing what was going to happen put everything on hold for the time being.
    I&#8217;ll give more updates as warranted and feel free to chime in with ideas.
    Lastly I really want to say thank you to each and every person who has helped. You all deserve credit for the adventure.
    After all, I&#8217;m just the rider.
    Bug
  11. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    I almost want to close this thread. Sometimes you just can't improve on Epic. Just finish it with a big old BAM.

(I won't do that, though)

Thanks for the ride, Bug. Both on the back of the bike, and especially, inside the helmet. Pity we didn't have RallyRAIDio ready for you in '07.

[​IMG]

:lurk
  12. green_passion

green_passion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn...I need a kleenex after reading that!!:clap

You do what most of us only dream of doing...keep up the good work Tim!!
  13. oj may

oj may Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer:
    "After all, I’m just the rider.
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
    Bug"

And Navy Seal's are 'just' sailors. Congrats, thanks for letting me share your ride. Your dialogue has moved me in many ways and I am a better person for having been exposed to it.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  14. thelama324

thelama324 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First I'd like to thank Bug for sharing this incredible story of triumph and agony. I can't remember a more riveting tale. You've lived a dream that 99% of us will never experience, but through you and your computer, we were able to taste the dust, smell the fuel and feel your pain. I haven't looked up to anyone in a long time. That has changed.
    Secondly, I want to thank my generous employer who (unknowingly)donated the time, funds and equipment for me to enjoy your adventure!

You're the man Bug. I wish you the best.
  15. Odysseus

Odysseus Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Bug, thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this epic race report on your Dakar Rally. I imagine that it has been almost as much work as the actual race.

You will always have my utmost respect and admiration, it would be an honor to saddle up and go for a ride with you anytime.

Beers afterward of course! :freaky
  16. floatingk

floatingk A Schweady Family Secret

Oddometer:
    Im completely speechless.... that was by far the sickest RR I have ever read...wow. :tbTanks!
  17. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    RR is Race Report in this case :clap One day I need to re-read this thread, I love it that much.:clap
  18. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From one of the "over-the-hill, wannabees.......................THANKS!

Ride on brother.
  19. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Bug,

You managed to put a tear in my eye ...... ah shit, maybe it's office dust!?

I bounced between your thread in Face Plant and here - trying to understand everything that happened. I followed the thread back in 2007 and never found the RR until today.

Thank you for finishing it.
  20. Brit/Man II

Brit/Man II Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From this OTHW Thank`s