REI Half Dome Plus tent

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by sonoran, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Goldburg

Goldburg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Half Dome for about a year. It hasn't let me down yet. In the mountains, in the rain, in the heat...
  2. CaptD

CaptD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can this tent be set up with the fly 1st and then the inner tent so the inner tent stays dry? How about when taking down the tent? Any velcro used to attach the fly to the poles?
  3. 1P8RIOT

1P8RIOT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm real happy with mine. Been using it for about 6 years. It's been fine in all kinds of weather and the beauty of the plus is that there's enough room to get all your gear on before you climb out into the rain.:deal
  4. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes, a little. It really is the tent to get. Best bang for your buck tent on the planet.
  5. spinblue

spinblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 - especially my boots, I don't want any creepy crawlers surprising me in the morning. I use the vestibule for camp chair, fuel cell (don't have a good place to permanently mount something, just gets bungie corded on top of things), and a waterproof bad.

Plus one on the REI Half Dome (I have the older version that will need to be replaced soon).
  6. spinblue

spinblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've practiced (its paid off in the field) putting the tent up by using the fly first, then assembling the tent inside away from the rain.
  7. CaptD

CaptD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll put the tent on my Black Friday list when REI usually has 30% off. In case any of you didn't get the email from REI the warranty is no longer lifetime, its now 1 year. Capt D.
  8. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Wow, I never knew that. I've been a member for 20 years at least and never minded paying the extra price difference for items at REI because I knew if the item started falling apart 5 years down the road, I could exchange it for a new one. Most items last at least a year so I think I'll purchase from a place that offers a lower price. I guess we have the policy abusers to thank for this.
  9. CaptD

CaptD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, REI said that the policy abusers are to blame for no longer having the lifetime warranty. Check out the warranty/return info over at www.backcountry.com. Capt D.
  10. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    I know this tread is a little old, but I've now had my REI HD Plus (first edition) for over 8 years. It gets about 30-40 nights a year out in every kind of weather. I keep looking for an excuse to upgrade to the REI HD 2 Plus, but this thing is like a Timex. I've been in torrential downpours (think WARPED VIII) and winds high enough that the tent pole was slapping me in the face while sleeping. :huh

No leaks, no breaks and I've never retreated it. In short it's been a great buy for me and when it finally does give me an excuse I'll buy the 2 (or 3 if that one is out by then.)

It is perfect for one person on a motorcycle trip - room for me, my cot, and all my gear. Gets a little tight for two if both have cots. There is no room for gear with two. Hope this helps someone in the decision making process. :deal
  11. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We still have ours, and it's held up great. It gets used for backpacking and car camping. It's fine for me, wife, and two cattle dogs at the foot. We even spent two days playing cards and ukuleles in it last fall in the rain. I'm 6'3", so I couldn't fit in the regular version. Get the plus size if you're tall.
  12. darrell

darrell Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    REI has these camp dome 2 plus tents marked down to $149.00 for 10 days starting this Friday on their Memorial Day sale.
  13. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    I snagged a Lucite one. :clap
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got one also. :clap
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also got one. Figured it was a great price on sale so I should grab it.

I'm not much of a camper and with little kids at home I'm not sure how many overnight trips I'll be going on, probably none!

I can hang onto the tent for a bit and if it looks like I won't be getting out I can just return it...
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wife and I set it up in the back yard last night. Built a fire and camped out. It is the nicest tent I have ever owned. I like how the tabs are color coded. Lots of storage pockets inside. Dual doors make late night bathroom breaks easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's on sale again for $150 for Memorial Day 2016.

Tipsy
  18. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a great sale! I bought too much yesterday :jump
  19. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the + for five years. Had to move up to the 4 man dome since my boys will be taking turns going to the Rallies with me now. Sold the + for a good price and it sold fast. The 4 is big, and that's considering I have a King Dome 6 for when both boys go with me to the Falling Leaf Rally...by truck that is.
  20. sonoran

sonoran no diggity Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure why this thread got moved 8 years later but I will say my decision to go with Half Dome Plus was a good one. Probably spent 100 nights in it during that time is all sorts of weather without issue. Eventually the rain fly started to get gummy and I replaced it with a new Half Dome Plus.

I'll report back in 2027 when I need a new one again...
    IDScarecrow, nevermind and sopascat like this.