REI Quarter Dome T3

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Budo675, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I decided to upgrade my tent recently to something that is a little bit bigger, and freestanding as well. After a bit of research I narrowed it down to the "REI Quarter Dome T2" tent. It turns out that REI had a labor day sale going on and that the T3 (3 person instead of 2) was temporarily cheaper than the T2.

After buying the tent I hurry home to set it up in my living room. Picture time...

Tent in stuff sack

[​IMG]

I like the stuff sack that it comes in, because it's slightly oversized and it also has compression straps on it. Packing up the tent is really a cinch.

[​IMG]

For size comparison

[​IMG]

Unpacked

[​IMG]

Tent spread out and ready for the poles... lol, sounds dirty.

[​IMG]

Pole setup, there are 3 poles in total that are all permanently interconnected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pole connector... ewww... that kinda sounds gay.

[​IMG]

Magic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the criss cross design of the poles. It raises the peak height of the tent a little and is remarkably stable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stella investigates and then approves...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit this fall... I'm going camping the first cool weekend I get.

The rainfly design is pretty solid, although you won't be getting a whole lof of ventilation with it. I didn't bother installing the fly, so no pics of it. The tent alone is 75% ripstop mesh and should vent very well. The downside that I can see though... is that there is no privacy without the rainfly on it.

Anyway, I was just really bored... that's why I put this up :p

Oh, and it weighs quite a bit more than my solo ultralight tent but I can surely compromise and drop some other stuff for some extra comfort.

Edit:

Angryscot requested a pole length measurement, so I figure that I'd update my post:

Folded pole length: 48 cm (do your own conversions :wink:)

Packed tent length: 52 cm (I'm sure it can be shorter, I was just lazy)

Packed tent width: 20 cm

Pics comparing the tent to my one person Kelty Dart:

Kelty Dart in blue and REI tent in Olive
    [​IMG]

Kelty Dart on top of REI QD T3. Keep in mind that the kelty is a little bit flattened, ideally it would be about half the width of the REI tent.
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]
  2. 2.0 dogs

2.0 dogs Banned

Oddometer:
    The living room is an excellent choice for erecting your new tent. All new tents tend to leak. While erected you really should get a water hose and do a leak check, administer seam sealer as needed. Don't wait till you get out in the wilderness.
  3. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or I could just set it up in an office building and trip the sprinklers :p

As soon as October rolls along I'll be out @ Enchanted Rock or Pedernales Falls
  4. Leu

Leu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great advice. I had used an REI tent a few times before going on a long Alaska trip, where it rained a lot. Found out the rainfly had a leak in a single spot. It would have been better to find this out and fix it before the trip. They try to seal them at the factory but I doubt they test them. In spite of this I do like the REI tents for the money.
  5. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    I went out and got a North Face two person, great deal (so I thought) 30% off. The wife and I took it would this weekend on a ride to Tn. The tent is great but she thinks that we need more room. So it looks as if I will be getting a 3 man tent! I like the looks of the REI hope you have fun braking it in!
  6. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    Wanna sell the 2 person tent:deal
  7. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following 2.0 dogs advice I setup the tent this past week and doused it with my water hose. Anything from the shower to jet spray setting seemed to cause no effect with the tent's interior. I completely forgot to take any pictures of it, and I was too lazy to repeat the process just for some pics :p

So I guess I got lucky with the rainfly being 100% leak free :)
  8. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    my rei tent was leakproof first try, rainflys have come along way.... now don't forget to pack the poles separate and you can get a smaller 8L/13L dry bag for the tent and it will be packed up even smaller! 2 dry bags are a good idea also, if you are packing the tent away wet when out. Rainfly and ground sheet in one and tent in the other, next nigth will be a dry one instead of damp :D
  9. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    Budo675

Thanks for the pics, they make it easier to see how the unusual pole construction all works. It really does look like a clever design. You mention the weight; I'm not too fussed about weight if it's the bike that's carrying it not me. I'm more interested in bulk. Packed up it looks bulky compared to my tiny one-man tent, but then it is a 2/3 man tent.
    Are you waiting for the rumoured Tiger Cub 675? Be a shame to sell something as beautiful as the D675 though. I'd have one if my 46YO body could stand it.

Two good benefits there, I'd never considered using two bags.
  10. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tent packs up nicely. Like I mentioned, the sack comes with its own compression straps and that cinches it down quite a bit. If space is an issue then I will probably just take out the poles and stakes, and mount them somewhere else.

It is bulky compared to a one man tent. My previous tent was a Kelty Dart, and it has served me well on lone camping trips and my two previous tours... However I've grown to accept comfortability in my camping setup and would like a larger tent. The T3 packs up to about 1.5X the thickness of my Kelty, but doesn't really pack up that much wider. I think the added 2 pounds is negligible on my bike and the extra space is really a non-issue since it will most likely be strapped outside the bags.

Now about the Tiger Cub.... if one does come out I would love to get one (if I could afford two bikes :p). The D675 has been through two tours with me and if I think she is worthy she might be my Alaska tourer in a few years... It all depends on how she performs in the long run. I won't sell her unless something serious goes down, and in the 6 years that my warranty is in effect I am going to ride the piss out of her... My goal is to hit 100K before the warranty expires ;)
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    length of poles please..:deal

You know to pack the poles and tent separately and you can get the pack down even smaller than the bag it comes with.

Was looking for a 3 man for future trips when I wish for a bit of room for living in vs. just sleeping. Can you pitch the tent with the rain fly only using the ground sheet? Helps in setting up and taking down when it is raining.

nice review...
    added to the review thread I started
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328336
  12. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll post up the length of the poles when I get home (assuming I remember).

You can set the tent up with rainfly and the footprint only, but I never did since I didn't buy the footprint. I use a tarp instead.

I never thought of pitching the fly first then the tent inside it... Pretty genius really. Then again, I've never been caught in the rain while/before setting up tent.
  13. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    cool thanks!

Oh another advantage is you can set up just the rain fly and open the doors for a nice sunshade at the beach :deal :D
  14. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alright scot, I've finally measured the poles for the REI Quarter Dome T3 tent... Couldn't be bothered to find the other thread, so I'm just gonna post it here ;)

Folded pole length: 48 cm (do your own conversions :wink:)

Packed tent length: 52 cm (I'm sure it can be shorter, I was just lazy)

Packed tent width: 20 cm

Pics comparing the tent to my one person Kelty Dart:

Kelty Dart in blue and REI tent in Olive
    [​IMG]

Kelty Dart on top of REI QD T3. Keep in mind that the kelty is a little bit flattened, ideally it would be about half the width of the REI tent.
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

Added in the original post for newcomers as well ;)
  15. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And on a side note... when I set up the tent for the leak test I also went inside it before the rainfly was attached. It wasn't a very windy day, but I could still feel a very nice breeze inside the tent. Outside temperature was in the mid to high 80s and I was completely comfy in there.

That was the main reason I bought this tent.... the all mesh walls. I can't stand staying in a tent during the summer, but in TX the mosquitoes will eat you alive if you don't.
  16. Budo675

Budo675 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put it to the test on the 1st. Went up to Enchanted Rock with some friends for a little mild weather camping. The quarter dome held up very well against wind (it got really windy at night), and with the rainfly off the wind affects the tent even less (i guess it just flows through the mesh walls).

I did find an annoying problem with using the tarp instead of the footprint... it seems that the tarp is too slippery and provides no traction against the tent floor. It felt like I was walking on some weird shifting fabric the whole time. Anybody know of something I can spray on to make the tarp a more matte surface without compromising "foldability"??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]