Reincarnating an 81 R100RS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by theDQG, Oct 1, 2017.

1. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the thread title clearly states, I am not going the OEM route. Those that still open the thread and come in here to argue OEM vs. modifications, will immediately end up on my ignore list which just grew by two.
    Jim K in PA, Cho_Matt and brittrunyon like this.
  2. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    O.K., I apologize.
    Undue banter on an inmates thread...
    My bad.
  3. Cho_Matt

Cho_Matt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude, just wanted to chime in and say great looking bike! I really don't get all the hate towards people doing mods. Clearly there is some sacred cow of BMWs must not be touched and it seems many have drunk that kool aid.

Anyway, love what you've done and a quick question - maybe I missed it in the thread. Did you end up getting a rear end fab'd or did you purchase one from the UK? Hopefully this winter I'll be looking for a similar rear.
  4. daveoneshot

daveoneshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wicked nice bike.
    theDQG likes this.
  5. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, what you are saying is that you posted only to get back-patting positive comments, and don't want to hear anything that is negative or disagrees. Do I get that correctly? Interesting attitude for a discussion forum. We want a 'discussion', but no negative or critical comments? And if anyone should offer such, you never want to hear from them again?
    Interesting indeed. I think this forum that you are admittedly new to would be a lot less useful to everyone if we all took that attitude.
    nothing likes this.
  6. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Seems to me like he came here with a plan, and started posting for a few reasons. 1) To get advice on how to go about the build, and 2) Share his progress for other's who may want to do something similar. I take no issue with him blocking people that are just here to shit on his work. That's not what he's here for, and I don't blame him. IMO this aggressively purist attitude is EXACTLY the reason we lose good contributing members around here (like Chris from BoxerMetal). Not to mention, it chases away younger folks (like myself) who are the next generation to keep these bikes on the road. I've met numerous guys my age that started out on Airheads and walked away from them because of the stigma the Purists bring. The road is big enough for bikes of all types. In the end, I'd like to know what you thought you were going to gain by being negative? The OP started the thread already committed to the build as he described. Did you honestly thing that your "wisdom" was going to force him to have an epiphany and realize the "error" of his ways? Give me a break, the negative comments you (and others) made were to make yourself feel good. Own it.

Additional context: Yea, I'm a bit ornery right now. I'm bike-less and kinda twitchy. Shitting on people's hard work has always been a pet peeve for me, but maybe it's especially grating right now because I can't go twist the throttle and recenter. So apologies to those who inevitably will read this and think I'm an asshole... maybe I am, but you likely are too.
  7. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Ornery 'n twitchy...Like! I was that way too yesterday!!! We're like, brothers!
    (or sisters).
    I came of bad, admitted.
    But, if OP wants some feedback I reckon he'd ask for it.
  8. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    ... i.e. Good advice...
  9. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    water under the bridge man, sometimes a good old fashioned rant is all that's needed.
  10. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I got the subframe from D & O in the UK. It's well made and the welds are sound.

http://bespokemotorcycles.co.uk/product-category/motorcycleparts/do-bmw-parts
    Cho_Matt likes this.
  11. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for coming to my defense. That's appreciated. My choice to immediately block anyone coming in this thread to start up yet another OEM vs. mod argument may seem to some people to be draconian, but it's intended to nip stuff in the bud before the postings turn acrimonious. The OEM vs. mod argument is a neverending one, and I don't intend to add fuel to it.
  12. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a thread in the Airheads forum on ADV Rider website . This is not anyone's private blog .
    Information shared here is intended not only for the OP , but also to any subsequent reader .
    The OP chose to ignore some good advice given freely by some very knowledgeable people .
    Maybe someone else can gain some insight .
    The best way to not start the stock vs modified argument seems easy . Build your bike , and if you feel like it , show some pictures and say " look what I did " .
    tlub likes this.
  13. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, but I don't think that anyone barging in here to tell me that I've ruined yet another perfectly good bike is "good advice."

I'll otherwise listen to what anyone has to say, as long as it's constructive and intended to help the bike run or be operated better.
    KildareMan and globalt38 like this.
  14. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Three things:
    1) Sharing the build process/progress IS beneficial to the subsequent reader. In fact it might even help persuade an unskilled builder to NOT build a cafe when they see the amount of or type of work involved. It was threads just like this that made me realize I'd be in way over my head if I took my bike as far as the OP is doing. Sharing this may also highlight to the subsequent reader mistakes or mis-steps that might actually render the bike ruined beyond reasonable repair.

2) The "look what I did" proposal is ridiculous. Just go look in the Airheads Pics threads. Nearly every bike built in this style (or close to it) are shit on. So how does that help?

3) I'd buy all of your above argument if there was the same amount of grief given to the "Unholy Union", "HPN", or other GS based custom thread. Those bikes prices are in the stratosphere as compared to RS bikes. Yet you don't see one person in there whining about resale value or "ruining" a stock bike. Hell, you don't even see people giving hell in the /2 conversion threads and those bikes are getting entirely new motors.

Anyway, the defense rests. This is getting to the point of ruining the OPs thread, and that's not my goal. All I ask is to stop hiding behind the "don't ruin a stock bike" bullshit. You don't like the style. Fine, just own it and move the hell on because the negative commentary is just masturbatory.
  15. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    ....yeah, rest your case ferdoGsake...
    Ya know, you take a shitty old barn find boxer and revive it in your vision, I think most here think that's fine.
    The first of the posts gave the OP some advice on rethinking the direction one might go with that particular bike.
    Call it a Preservationista view. Nothing wrong with that.
    Now Joe OP can just do whatever the fuck he wants to do, its' a free country (up til now...), that doesn't mean it's wise or admirable.
    Trendy does not equate to educated eloquence...
    End of Convo
  16. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quote : I'd buy all of your above argument if there was the same amount of grief given to the "Unholy Union", "HPN", or other GS based custom thread. Those bikes prices are in the stratosphere as compared to RS bikes. Yet you don't see one person in there whining about resale value or "ruining" a stock bike. Hell, you don't even see people giving hell in the /2 conversion threads and those bikes are getting entirely new motors

It's simple : Increase the utility of a bike and you get a " thumbs up " .
    Decrease the utility in favor of following the latest fashion trend gets obvious results , yet they persist .

Somebody is picking their nose at your table and you're not going to say something ?
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  17. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Simple indeed... your view that is. Utility isn't the only reason people modify things. Wake up.
  18. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    In lieu of risking my 'end o convo' status, (I think outside of the OP's actual thread, this should be paired out into a separate thread call something like "Trendy vs ..."), and in reference to hack 'builds', I'll offer up this example.

There was one inmate here in Airheads some time back that hacked up an amalgamate of ideas he'd obviously seen elsewhere but hey, he wanted to 'be a builder'.
    The end result was basically dangerous (suspension, tires, geometry), and though he was advise by a few here about his 'mods', he ignorantly proceeded.
    The results was predictable, he ended up on his ass in the street on his first test ride when trying to negotiate a simple city turn.

Is the need for identity stronger than the value of knowledge?
    These days I'm thinking it might be so...
    tlub likes this.
  19. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, it isn't. But most of us do view utility as an important feature of these bikes, and indeed, utility was high on the list when they were designed. History tells us that was good, or else these wouldn't still be around and attractive to so many. They are classics that you can still use for their intended purpose. I rode my /5 to CA from WI in May, and had a great time.
    And in the end, a functioning bike is what most of us want, unless we say at the outset it is intended as non-functioning artwork. I know of an R27 like that, and that is fine.
    But when one starts with a bike with high utility (an R100RS), and after much trouble and cost, ends up with something with zero function (i.e., it is incomplete and doesn't run), and less value - well, that is something that deserves comment and as you admit, might be useful to someone contemplating such a move. I'm saying all these comments, on a public forum as this, are indeed useful and have a place. I'm not saying you should quit posting your view. But, it seems that you are saying we should quit posting our view.
    Why are you so specially appointed to tell us not to post our opinions? Even if you were the OP, threads go places, or opinions and new information comes in. None of this is off-topic-For what the OP started to do, the end results (so far as we have seen) are not what he wanted (so far), and is what some of think is both unsurprising or undesirable.
    That's why we have these open discussions, and I really don't see why you think it is your place to tell us to keep our opinions to ourselves.
    UnclePete and Boxerbreath like this.
  20. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Shit like this is why I'm saying what I'm saying. You want to be constructive while presenting your differing opinion? Fine, have at it. Just shitting on a bike that is clearly still in progress isn't constructive. I'm coming to his defense for reasons I've already outlined. Mainly because the toxic Purist attitude chases people away. There's documented evidence of that here. It's not helpful. Sure it makes you feel just and right, but at the end of the day there's a person on the other end of this receiving your insult.

I guess in the end I'm just asking people to be fucking nice to each other. These are just motorcycles. He's not creating a Frankenstein monster out of parts of living children. Nothing here is sacred or sacrilege. If this brings his life meaning, joy, or purpose... then help him out. If riding your stock /5 from CA to WI does the same for you, then I'm stoked for you. There's enough road, and enough old german shit for the both of you.

JUST HAVE FUN AND DON'T BE A DICK.