Reincarnating an 81 R100RS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by theDQG, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Cletus Runswithscissorsguy

Cletus Runswithscissorsguy hiding in plain sight

Oddometer:

You will NEVER convince someone that "wants to be a builder" not to do/try something, it's part of the curve. Land on your ass? Hopefully you learned what NOT to do.. If many people (of varying degrees of expertise) tell you to do/not to do something, the builder is responsible to slow his/her process and -maybe- learn a lesson or two..

BUT- I dislike cafe racers. Most aren't true cafe racers, as the same as hot rods today aren't really traditional hot rods.
    The trend has been to bolt on a bunch of expensive crap and call it a cafe. True cafe racers were done on the cheap with flipped bars, missing components and parts drilled out for weight savings.

But I agree completely with @nmalozzi in the sense that there is NO REASON to piss on OP's parade.
    It ain't my bike, I can't afford to buy it from him, I can't control him and he's going to build it if y'all like it or not.
    So it does NO GOOD to bitch, cry, piss or moan about it unless you pony up the bucks to pry it out of his hands.

So, more power to you, @theDQG .. I hope you get it finished, I hope you like what you've built and I hope it works well for you.
    The only advise I ever give people on cafe stuff is to save enough parts to turn it back in case you don't like it, your back gives out or you want to ride it cross-country. If (after a year or so) you want a bike you can put miles on, re-assemble and go for a ride..

Now, so much for the hijack, Please post pics of your progress!!
    kaput13 and Boxerbreath like this.
  2. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Love it, thanks man!
    lucky6600 likes this.
  3. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Never say never...

So, Back On Topic...
    @theDQG, why did you choose those sort of tires?

[​IMG]
  4. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    What exactly is meant by "industrial look"...
  5. StreetBlighter

StreetBlighter Jim

Oddometer:
    My only problem with cafe bikes is there’s no room for ladyfriends to fit on the seat. Looks like you avoided that pitfall. Enjoy.
    theDQG likes this.
  6. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    That metal finish looks good, like a diecast replica of a boxer powerplant.
    Is this finish durable?

Enjoy ADV-Airheads because of the modifications found here.
  7. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many years ago I worked in publishing and rode motorcycles with Maynard Hershon. He used to mail copies of City Bike to me in CO. Back in those days he rode a faded, red R80ST and I rode my first ‘87 R80. I learned many things about riding by just riding with him. Great rider and writer and quite a character!
    UnclePete likes this.
  8. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ccmickelson and theDQG like this.
  9. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    theDQG likes this.
  10. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    The snowflake wheels add to the diecast look.
    Some stick on LED strip for a tail light would look really clean.
  11. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely of the utmost importance!
  12. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, not quite- it's been gone over with a brass wire wheel to get that raw aluminum look. Going to have to invest a little elbow grease every once in a while to remove oxidation, but I don't mind doing that.

Thanks, I've thought about the LED strip, but think it would look funny on the upswept hoop. I'm sort of gravitating towards a set of integrated brake/signal lights, mounted on the upper bolts of the shocks.
  13. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I sent out my carbs to be cleaned and just got them back and I'm not sure I'm happy with what's been done with them. There is still crud in the bowls, but what worries me the most are the deep scratches I found on the throttle valve plates. Should I be concerned? Will they affect performance- i.e., disrupt the even air flow?

0-1.jpg 0.jpg
  14. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    ??? WTF, over . . .

Where did you send them?
  15. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    ditto
    Cleaned in what way?
    If there's crud inside then they weren't really cleaned unless you mean cleaned up on the outside (cosmetics).
    Looks like whoever did it used a wire wheel and an ice pick...
  16. headtube

headtube Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! I'd be enraged if those were mine. Whoever did the cleaning has no idea what they're doing. But with that said, you should be ok if there are no gouges at the edges of those plates; causing air leaks. Inspect them well. Unfortunately you can't even recognize where the tiny "divot" is, needed for placement when you swap out the O-ring. Make sure those screws are tight! They look worn.

Hmm, in the end, I'd be looking at a tear down. There may be fine grinding dust inside.
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  17. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Learn to do your own work , or you will always be at someone else's mercy .
  18. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Yes, if the bike was sitting for a long time and/or doesn't run well, it pays to rebuild the carbs. Lots of old rubber in those carbs to rot.
    The CV carbs are pretty easy other than the intake flaps which can be a bitch to remove which isn't always necessary.
  19. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    The scratches will have no effect on airflow. There is tremendous turbulence around the plate and even at WFO you don't get true laminar flow there and the scratches are too small to affect that if you were getting it. But as has been mentioned they say everything about the person who worked on them. They are incompetent.

RS bars put a lot of weight on the wrists which is bearable if you are just stylin' down to starbucks, and no further. Otherwise on an open bike the wind in your chest at speed will take the weight off---except with those tires you will not be doing speed. if you make it look like a tractor, it will handle like one. Notice how those fat tired bikes of yore (see girl on an old motorcycle thread) have real wide bars?
    theDQG, ccmickelson and Boxerbreath like this.
  20. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, for the input. Lesson learned. Doing everything myself from now on. I have had horrendous luck sending out my carbs to be rebuilt anyway. The ones on my CB750 were outright stolen, and it took nine months to get the carbs for my xv920 back, and now this.

Temperatures are in the single figures this morning, so... going to have to wait a little longer before getting back into the shed.