Reincarnating an 81 R100RS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by theDQG, Oct 1, 2017.

1. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am replacing the original RS bars with wide renthals.

I've been lectured on the style of tires I picked for this bike which I have no problem admitting was far more about vanity and image than practicality. We'll see how it goes.
  2. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    Before you spend the $, are they 22mm bars? 7/8" don't work apparently.
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I put a wide tire on the front. Not real wide, just a little wide because I could get the tire I wanted in that size. I almost crashed the first time I made a U turn in town the handling was so funky.
  4. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful weather today- finally yanked the bike out of storage and looking forward to working on it as soon as I finish wiring the virago project I'm working on.

Unfortunately as I was wheeling the bike out, I noticed/felt a clicking which increased the faster I moved the bike. I have to think this has something to do with the final drive- anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check first?
  5. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put it on the centre stand in neutral and rotate the wheel. Make sure the tranny is in proper neutral and not a false neutral. Select first and up to neutral. Still clicking? Where's the noise coming from?
    How many clicks per wheel revolution? 7 or 8?
    I have had a failed rear out put shaft bearing in the tranny that showed itself as a click in the final drive.
    theDQG likes this.
  6. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check for a loose bolt where the drive shaft connects to the gearbox output flange. If there's a bolt floating around the rubber bellows it will 'click' when it hits the driveshaft u-joint as it rotates and increases with velocity.
    WRC51 likes this.
  7. Planetducky

Planetducky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good! As long as you're happy with what you're doing, it's all that matters. I used the same subframe from D&O, just a different seat for my R65 build. Nothing was chopped up or detabbed and I kept all of the original parts. I have a build thread on archive here and the inmates seemed to be a little kinder to me than you. Regardless, I look forward to seeing what you end up with. Cheers! IMG_7870 (2).JPG
    theDQG likes this.
  8. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I like the white wheels. Black wheels just look heavy. Also the lack of the sily pipe wrap. That stuff is hard to maintain and rots the finish on the pipes. Good ol' BBQ black and respray them every few years and they always look good.
    Planetducky likes this.
  9. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks- unfortunately I have no way to check to see if it's in neutral. The clutch cable and shifter aren't hooked up. Would it be a good idea to temporarily mount the handlebar, clutch lever, connect everything up and check?
  10. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a beautiful bike, and well done! Lucky you re: inmates. Not sure why my particular build has the inmates riled up more than usual. I ought to dig out the peace pipe.
    Planetducky likes this.
  11. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just need the shifter on the tranny to make sure it's in proper neutral. Most likely is.
    You may also find that moving the shift a little without changing gears will stop the click. I did that with my bike a couple of weeks ago.
    theDQG likes this.
  12. Planetducky

Planetducky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol! Maybe they care less about the little old R65 than your model. I'm sure you have thick skin, so press on sir!
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    the reaction you get may depend on where you start and where you end up. Hacking a nice bike into a me-too....
    Boxerbreath and ccmickelson like this.
  14. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished my Virago build- it was a fun one. It has all the motogadget bells and whistles, including the M-unit blue and I've enjoyed the benefit of controlling it offsite with my iphone.

Still a build in progress, but I'm done with it for now as I want to ride it this season. Time to move on to the BMW.

yamaha.JPG
    KildareMan and Cho_Matt like this.
  15. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the stand now.. I have to sort through the mess I got back from the "mechanic." There's a bunch of boxes I have to go through, and try to organize stuff.

For each snide remark I receive on this thread, I will hack off a tab from the frame which is currently unmolested. You may consider that a threat.
    KildareMan likes this.
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    An 81 does't have much in the way of tabs. You should see what a mono has.
  18. theDQG

theDQG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I guess that doesn't allow for much snide remarks then.

Today, I'll be making a plan of action for putting this bike back together. Since the battery and other accessories are going to be relocated, I'll have to replace the cables and wires, to make them long enough.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    The hrn tabs are quite worthwhile. i made reversing brac,kets out of stainless t go on them to run the hrns reversed (sideways) so more sund would get out from behind the fairing.

Turns out there is a ton of room under the tank for relays flashers, voltage reg, ignition, connectors. But you have to make a bracket (but no welding) and you need to make part of a loom, which is a bit most "builders" are terrified of.
  20. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That turned out great. I am considering the m-unit blue for my own build. Are you happy enough with it that you will use it on the R100?