Rekluse Auto Clutch for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 18, 2012.

1. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well pulled the EXP apart and yes it is the Teflon that is sticking out of the gaps. Looks like it is getting sliced on the aluminum housing?
    All the little bits of shit you can just see on the Teflon pads is more Teflon coming off.
    Obviously it is why my clutch started to shudder. Not sure why it stopped when warmed up but it is definitely fucked.
    Also if it helps I am running the early engagement springs(red)

I have done 3000klm with the clutch and it started shuddering at the start of the GS Safari I did in Tasmania in November approx 1500 klm ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ugly. Eager to hear how Rekluse helps out, I am willing to bet they will get her fixed without any drama.
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo....
    This is what you should do. Contact their customer support, and ask for their help. Something is causing the billet aluminum to gnaw out pieces of the teflon friction pads, which of course should not happen. Could be a small piece of the aluminum slider which ate the pads. I cannot see that they would give you a hard time, as they are really great to deal with. I would be very surprised if they did not get you a new one pronto. But if they give you a hard time, pm me, and I will direct their attention to this thread, but I doubt that will be necessary. you can always pm me if you feel the need to do so.:freaky
  4. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate.
    Should I contact the local Oz distributor of Rekluse usa direct?

5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    US direct. Tell them what happened, and they will most likely ask for your pictures. It is hard to guess without having the EXP in my hand, But if I were to guess, Id say that the CNC left a small burr, that wore through the friction pad, which then lost material, which in turn then rendered that particular weight sling bad, and it un balanced. Were there any sharp corners.... burrs on the billet aluminum ramp, or any evidence to how it gnawed the teflon pad...???? This is the first failure I know of, and we really beat the snot out of them.
  6. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Yes there are a few spots like this at the top of the ramp that are very sharp. Maybe hard to see in the pic but it's there.
    There are about five Teflon pads or more with material missing.
    I sent an email with all the photos to Rekluse customer support so I will see what they come back with.
    Thanks for all your advice.

[​IMG]

7. TrailmanFr

TrailmanFr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel shudder like OZZY when my f800 is cold...and nothing after riding few kilometers.
    I use red springs only for early engagement.
    After reading OZZY, I think it's necessary to visit my Rekluse too...a new saturday'work :evil
  8. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Yeah mate I think that would be wise.
    May not like what you find

9. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I was planning on ordering mine this month but I think I will hold off until Rekluse sorts this one out.
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok.
    Please let us know how it goes. As a assurance of comfort, I would like to add that the EXP planform seen here in the 800, is global. What I mean by that is that the system of weights, friction pads, springs, and billet aluminum is the same for all the EXP's. The size of the materials differs. So the system works, or we would have seen massive failures through out all models. It is however inevitable that some parts fail, and it is now up to Rekluse to find out what gave in. I am quite certain that they are every bit as interested in looking at your EXP ,as you are.
    Personally I would think that a little bit of shudder is acceptable for the first few minutes of riding, as you can see, the weight sling has to be perfectly balanced, so not for the EXP not expand evenly. How much shudder....... I would say, that if your whole bike is vibrating, and you worry that it might grenade, that is too much. If it is just a little vibration, that will be ok.
    Please keep us updated. :freaky
  11. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree. If I only had light shuddering I would not have worried at all but considering I had none whatsoever for 1500 klm then it started shuddering to the point the bike lurches and pulses while standing still I knew something had gone wrong.

12. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Hang on one cotton pickin moment - "acceptable shudder"?????

Just installed the first of our two units but will be a week or two before I can ride test it. Now I am going to pull the second apart before install and check it.
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike.
    I was trying to offer a bit of comfort, so as not every one with the EXP installed goes bonkers. 6 weights have to be slung outwards at the exactly same time, for the EXP to offer a perfect expansion. In all my miles with one...... ehhhh... several I have not had a hint of shudder. But I suppose that if you develop a bit of uneven wear on one of the ramps, it could vibrate a little bit, during engagement. That is just me thinking out loud after playing with these things for a couple of years on the 8GS. So I would offer the following assessment. If your EXP begins to shudder or other wise vibrate hard..... STOP and have a look. I will say this. Each and every EXP I tested, I took it apart, and made sure I had no left over sharp machine edges on the inside. Some did have some, that I smoothed out. Would that have caused any issues....???? I dont know. Now before you all begin to rip out your EXP's and "tune" them stop and think for a moment. If you have not installed it..... Have a look for sharp edges on the ramps. If they are installed. Dont do anything unless it begins to shudder, and then have a look.
  14. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Update on the problem with the EXP on my bike!
    Rekluse have been very interested and keen to get to the bottom of this problem.
    I think they are as surprised as me that this has happened to this product.
    They informed me today that they are organizing for a new unit to be sent to me.
    I gather I will be sending my unit back to them for inspection so they can ensure this doesn't happen to any other units they send out.

At the end of the day shit can happen with any product, it's how the company handles that problem that matters and it is really good news that they have proved themselves as good as everyone says

Now I just hope it arrives quickly !

15. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    Well I just got a call from Suttos the local OZ Rekluse agent to say they are sending me the replacement clutch today.
    Awesome

16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrs.......:clap
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    <label for="rb_iconid_24">[​IMG]</label>
  18. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

Great response from Rekluse!!!

It would be super if they let folks on the thread know what they find and what corrective action they are taking on future units. :clap
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont think they will. But if they share the findings with me ( I dont think they will) and they will let me share, I will do so.
  20. OZZY-DUCK

Oddometer:
    I have asked also if they will advise what has gone wrong.
    I'm with Erling on this one, I doubt we will hear what was wrong ........... Unless some how it was my fault and then I'm sure they will tell me