Rekluse Auto Clutch for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 18, 2012.

1. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks - do appreciate your insights!
    I count myself to the "normal users" group (with moderate skills) so that's a plus in this case :thumb
    I find the stock clutch pull to be to hard for longer sessions doing lots of technical stuff. Are you saying that the rekluse makes it even harder? Or did you mean this compared to the magura you had to remove. Because, asuming that the clutch has to be used less frequent because of the rekluse, i could live with the effort needed, but not if it gets even harder.

Since you already tried the magura we seems to be at a dead end with that (easy clutch pull + rekluse). Even an easy-pull clutch like the RSC (http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/international/levers.html) shortens the cable stroke so that's a no-go it seems.
  2. LNICK

LNICK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha pklop is getting old as me. Unavoidable! :lol3:lol3:lol3
    pklop likes this.
  3. Zé

Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As far as I'm concerned, its harder then OEM without the Rekluse. But we do use the clutch a looooooootttttttt less with the rekluse under normal use, so it being heavier its hardly noticeable after a few rides. Only when you start pulling it a lot for more extreme or hard riding does it become actually too heavy on the arm. But still, not all kinds of terrain or thecniques require this. So you can spend days on end just using the clutch for shifting even while riding some thought and technical terrains.

What I mean is that I would get it again on the spot, even if it was harder then it actually is :D It is not a no-go situation. Not comfortable, but definitely not a no go.

I'm playing around with some ideas on how to make it lighter, but until then, a longer arm on the clutch lever straight out of the engine case will definitely help out. I know I'll go down this road soon. Something like this

[​IMG]

If I'm not mistaken this picture is already here on the thread somewhere
    pklop likes this.
  4. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Has anyone worn one of these out yet?

Curious if you have to buy a whole new setup from Recluse plus an OEM clutch pack to do a rebuild or if there is a cheaper way.

I love the sounds of getting a Recluse for mine, but all clutches wear out eventually and I'm wondering how much it costs to fix once it does.

Thanks.
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    you just need a couple of discs not a whole new clutch
  6. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. Where can I get the individual disks?
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    euh... from your used clutch.. normally there are always a couple that aren't too badly worn, otherwise you'll need to make out used parts or ahead and buy the whole kit from BMW
  8. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you rebuild a clutch with the old worn out parts?

All my experience has been on bikes with dry clutches. When they are worn they are to thin to be reused and you throw them out. Are the wet clutches different? Or am I misunderstanding something?
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
    no on the recluse clutch you don't need all plates, means that if some are still good on your old clutch you can use them with the recluse kit. can't recall how many plates you actually need. it is written in here somewhere. on wet clutches not all plates wear the same amount
  10. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Rekluse sells complete rebuild kits now, check out the site. I posted a price awhile back but forget now.
  11. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info. This is going to have to be my next project.

Just curious, how many miles have people put on these without a major rebuild?
  12. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Lots. I'm at only 20 K kms but that's in the Jungle here where I use it all the time.

Shhhhhhhhh. I'm about to pull it out and rebuild it before I install it into MY bike. Wife doesn't appreciate it enough. :1drink Will post up.
  13. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Dammit.

I have my Rekluse apart and found wear, slivers etc. Prob is, I ordered 2 pad kits specifying Part #782-002A. They sent me 782-002, which is I assume, a B. The old pads are .185" wide and the new are .215".

So there's ONE change.

Yes, I'm in the Jungle without an address.....

Sent them an email so we'll see what they recommend. They've been great so no complaints.

Stuff happens.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    They must have changed the pad size after I got out of it. I don't recall seeing g a pad change during prototype testing.
    Bummer, that shows ya how much they have done since I was involved.
    Hope you get it sorted. Let me know if I can help.
  15. Loutre

Oddometer:
    see and this is why you should have kept the 8GS
  16. Reaver

Oddometer:

Well Erling, still no reply on my email. Maybe call Jon and get him to read it. Here I am, without my clutch.

Oh, btw, that CF piece you made me was a highlight here one fine day a month ago, with friends flown in. Thanks again!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    He he...... I am really liking the big piggie though.
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lemme see what I can do.
    It is good to hear the cf is holding. It was one of my most special builds...... and I was honored to be part of this..... :) can you pm me your email.
  19. atarijedi

atarijedi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to get an F650GS twin, good to see the issues have been worked out, as I have left arm/hand issues and can't really feather the clutch all that well anymore.

Are people still receiving the EXP with that rough edge/face which would grind on the teflon pieces and cause shuttering? Doesn't seem to be much of an issue to smooth it out though.

I currently have a rekluse in my DRZ400SM "Adventure", and I love it. I know it will be different than in the F650GS because I can shift without using the clutch at all, but I believe the Adventure EXP is different? It's simply meant to prevent stalling?

I'll also note that my DRZ has a wet clutch, and I run Rotella T6 oil in the bike, which was recommended by Rekluse. It is a full synthetic diesel engine oil. Anyone tried that oil yet in their f650gs/f700gs/f800gs?
  20. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Finally jumped on board and got a Rekluse. First thing I did was tear it apart to look for any sharp edges that may cut into the little plastic sliders. Looks to me like they may have improved their machining technique because the milling marks on mine look a little different from past pictures I've seen on this thread and I couldn't find any sharp edges to smooth out.

Install was easy thanks to the great videos on YouTube. Setting the gap at the end took a few minutes, but I seem to have figured it out.

Most importantly the test ride went great. It's raining so it was a short ride on some tight single track. Areas that are usually challenging were child's play and one spot I've been hesitant to try on dry days was easily conquered. So far I'm impressed and would recommend this mod.

Cheers. image.jpeg