Rekluse Auto Clutch for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 18, 2012.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oldswimr, no problem. Just give me a week or so to conclude that this is the solution. Once I have it figured out, will report and share.
  2. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Funny Rekluse story:

I pulled up to a Pizza joint to speak to a person there. Bike left running in first, my hands off the bars. Had my full gear on cause I was headed for Panama. Yahoo runs over and interrupts my conversation with "Are you cold? Are you cold? Why are you wearing this, are you cold?" He then grabs the throttle to blip it as I was mostly ignoring him. Bike lurches forward, pinning him between the side case and a concrete post. I said a few Church words as he limped back to the shadows.

Be advised, put it in N. This could have gone way worse. Maybe there needs to be a big red warning label to advise the idiots?
    GGLB likes this.
  3. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Glad you or your bike weren't hurt. Serves that guy right for messing with someone's bike.

Mine actually came with a warning sticker. I put it on the inside of my left hand guard so anyone looking at the clutch is starting at it.
  4. villho

villho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried to find comments from this thread without finding a good answer: how much drag do you guys have with Rekluse, bike standing still, 1st gear on, clutch lever out?

I've adjusted the free play gain according to instructions, but somehow I still feel that I have a bit too much drag. When I had a freshly installed Rekluse (abt. a year ago), I don't remember having any drag, although I can't be sure. Now, when standing still at neutral and then putting the 1st gear on without pulling clutch lever, RPMs are not dropping, but I can really feel bike wanting to pull out. If there is a slight downhill at the traffic lights, I basically need to keep the bike still with front brake. If there is a uphill, bike stays put, but then on the other hand if I then pull the clutch lever in, the bike starts to roll back. I have 3 red springs and 3 blue springs installed. What are your experiences, how do your bikes behave?

I have a month old core disc + wedges + teflons so it can't be that (I got a replacement from Rekluse on my 1st gen parts). The drag has been the same with mineral oil (15W-40) and now also with fully synthetic (15W-50), both JASO MA. I have a two-week trip waiting for me, so I'm taking the clutch out today to check that teflons and wedges are ok. Not too worried, as I can always stay on neutral when standing still, but of course would like to hear, if that is normal behaviour or not.

EDIT: The drag is worse with an cold engine and I also get the vicious shudder again with the first pull-out (this is the reason why I'm opening the clutch up). When the engine warms up, no shudder anymore but still some drag, though.
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few observations.
    When you are at a stop and hit the gear shifter down from neutral to first, without pulling the clutch. rpm should NOT drop. Sometimes though, when the engine is cold, it might drop a hundred rpm, and creep forward a very little bit. As the engine warms up, this will minimize.
    Anytime you have a shudder when you engage the Rekluse, it is cause for concern, and you should have a look inside the EXP. It only takes one ward. or bad teflon pad to unbalance the EXP while it engages.
    "If there is a uphill, bike stays put, but then on the other hand if I then pull the clutch lever in, the bike starts to roll back."
    It sounds to me that you have it adjusted wrong, as you should not have any drag. The bike should feel the same as with the clutch pulled.
    I would take it apart and split the EXP. Post pictures, and we can have a look.
  6. villho

villho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. More or less the same that I've thought. I'm going to do the clutchectomy today, so let's see what the exp disc, teflons etc. look like.
  7. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Mine has had a little drag since day one. Not enough to feel while seated on the bike, but with the bike on the center stand the wheel spins in first with the motor running.

This is why I drive the bike with the clutch and using neutral at stops 99% of the time. Then when I get to a bad spot on a trail I use the Rekluse, and it always makes me smile.
  8. puckpuck

puckpuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When i first installed mine, no drag. After about 2 weeks there was some drag. Then check the play and re-tight the cable, drag gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo.
    A bit of early cable stretch but then it settles down.:beer
  10. villho

villho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I opened the clutch yesterday and as soon as I got the exp disc out, it was clear that there is not too much wear at least yet. I've seen those photos, were teflon strips are hanging around disc edges, but I had none of that. All the wedges slided nicely up and down and after disassembling the disc the parts were in a good shape (although, what to expect: they are less than 2 months old...).

What I did notice was some chafing on the some of the core disc slide surfaces. The photos below look worse than it actually was, but I still took P800 sand paper and did some minor sanding on them. I also changed few of the teflon pads just in case.

I also changed the springs so that now I'm using 6 blue springs, so that should raise the engagement rpm a bit - although I did not notice too much of a difference this morning on the engagement. What I did notice was that there was no shudder this morning and my butt also said that the bike did not try to crawl forward that much. I did decrease the free play gain to the minimum point, where I still saw the clutch lever (I have a short lever) to move slightly, but did not get any slippage on full throttle acceleration on 4th gear on a bigger road.

Following up how this goes on. In any case, the parts are in good shape, so I'm not worried on the clutch on my upcoming trip.

Few photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the reasoning for the vibrations. Normally when you see chaffing on the ramps, you will find a little bit of chaffing on the teflon pads as well. I am speculating that perhaps some grit or for that matter any material got in between the pad and ramp. Bottom line, if you have one or perhaps two weights that create just a minute more resistance while sliding, you will have an unbalanced EXP, and it will shudder in the short period it begins to engage. The ramps are surprisingly rough from the factory, imho, but with a little bit of honing as you did, will take care of it. Keep watching it, but it looks like you got it sorted.
  12. villho

villho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing is that I actually used probably like an hour for honing the ramps and wedges before I installed these new parts (that I got under warranty) in the first place. I don't know why also these started to show signs of wear and shudder so quickly...

In any case, looks like that Rekluse really needs to be inspected at least once in ~two months and replace any teflon pads that show even a slightest amount of wear on them. Not a big deal, I've had that side of engine case open so many times this year that it starts to be a routine.
  13. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, wouldn't it make more sense to replace all the teflon pads as a set. If you only replace some, those will be everso slightly thicker than the used ones and probably will wear faster as they will see more contact first, until the wear evens out. With the price of the teflons I think it would be prudent to do all or none. Just my 2 cents. I have had rekluses in 6 different bikes, and prevention was always the best measure. On the flip side my clutch packs always lasted longer with the rekluse than without
  14. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just got done installing my Rekluse, and rode back home about 45min. I adjusted per specs, but when I drop in 1st gear at idle I do feel that there is a slight preasure on the engine, not enough to creep, but it is there, if you pop it in to neutral there is a difference. Should I give a hair more slack on the clutch cable or am I fine? As long as it will not hurt the bike I am fine with it as it does not bug me. I just do not want it to hurt the bike
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tighten the cable just a little on the perch, and that should take care of it. If the bike is creeping after 45 minutes, IMHO there is too much drag. A quick way is when it creeps, if you can make it go away by pulling a tiny bit on the clutch lever, then there is room for improvement.
  16. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok! If the drag is left will it kill the clutch pack?
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think so.
    Unless you spend many hrs at idle ..... and I mean hours. I think it is a neussance more than anything else.
  18. puckpuck

puckpuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you guy notice the clutch cable will run longer with Rekluse installed? You see I had to relocated the locknut to be on the same side as the adjusting nut?
    I talked to Rekluse when I was installing it two
    months ago and they said that its okay. So I left it.

Then last month my buddy said you can throw in OEM plate to make the cable shorter. I couldn't remember what exactly you have to do. Add more plate or something. My buddy is away on vacation at the moment so I couldn't ask him, the exact what to do.
    Everything working fine for me, that's why I haven't really trying to figure this out.

You guys know what he's talking about?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would guess they asked him to replace one of their plates for the other small tab stock driveplates. I don't see that being needed. I just was only curious about if the drag would hurt the bike, I am not planning on leaving it that way, just curious
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not add any OEM discs over and above what the Rekluse manual says to do....... Ever. As we tested different stack height and its variations, the cable adjustment on the perch did become vastly different that stock. Rekluse went for the " what was best for the setup" stack, and determined that having two nuts on top...... Wait what.... Did I just say that....:lol3
    was ok, and we ran with it.