Rekluse Auto Clutch for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    did they ever consider a different clutch cable, same length sheath but maybe 1/4 inch shorter cable? It would give more adjustability
  2. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Just finished doing the Washington Back Country Discovery Route on my 2011 F800GS with a Rekluse. I was riding two up and fully loaded for camping. The trip was 1,375 miles total with just under 600 of that in the dirt. Every type of terrain covered and the clutch was flawless.

Made areas that should have been difficult feel like child's play. image.jpeg I love this thing!
    XT Traveler and Reaver like this.
  3. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I have been on a course to bring my wife 650 twin up to off road standards. Installed intiminators, wilbors rear shock and the Recluse clutch along with a few other bits. Everything is great but I have a concern with the amount of force it takes to pull the clutch lever in, for myself it wouldn't be a big deal but my wife has small hands and once the adjustment is done for the recluse the clutch pull is very tough. On other bikes I have installed ezpull cables and or adjustable levers to alleviate the problem but not sure what the options are for the BMW. Any others have this situation? Solutions?
  4. puckpuck

puckpuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have the manual to quote, but with Rekluse you don't necessary need to pull the clutch to shift. You just have to ease off the throttle then shift up or down. I try to pull clutch now and then just because I don't want to forget how to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Rekluse will allow you to shift any time the clutch is disengaged. That means from idle rpm to about 1650-2000, depending on what engagement springs you have installed. Any time you are above that, you need to use the clutch. It is a common misconception that after buying a Rekluse, you need not to use the clutch anymore. In reality that means from a stop into first. When that clutch is engaged, above said rpm's when and if you shift gears without pulling the clutch, there are no difference as if you did the same before you installed the clutch. Many bikes can be shifted just fine with out the use of the clutch. How you feel about that is your choice. The rekluse will not change that.
    Lost-n-Lovin-It likes this.
  6. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Yup. What he said.
  7. Eastview

Eastview Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I understand the basic workings of the Recluse as I have had one on my last two KTM dirt bikes but not sure how much difference there is in models. I'm not sure which springs are installed in the recluse on the BMW as I bought it slightly used but it seems to be engaged all the time and believe it might just be the cable adjustment. Problem is I will have to remove jam nut as it is on the last of the remaining threads on the cable. Am I correct in this assumption ? Or do I need to change springs to bring the engagement up from the 1200-1300 idle the bike has?

By the way, I still have the question about fixes for the clutch pull. Has anyone used an ezpull or similar device to reduce the force needed to pull the clutch in?
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It comes shipped with red and blue springs. one is soft one hard. Mix'em 50/50 and you are medium. They used to be shipped with medium installed, but that is anybody's guess.
    I ran with both nuts above the clutch perch. Adjusted to 3mm free play, that is how I liked it. Unless you have one of the older ball type rekluse, which were prior to release, I dont think it adds much pull force. Could be your cable is in the need of replacement. To answer your question though, there are no fix, as there were on other bike apps.
  9. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I am a little disappointed with my brand new / freshly installed Rekluse. The engine stalled several times when the rpms dropped to near idle. I adjusted the clutch several times to the best of my ability but that doesn't seem to change things. It happens when I adjust it to much in the sense that the clutch is slipping to much, it happens also when I adjust it to little in the sense that it has to much drag, and it happens when I adjust it just right.

On my first (tarmac) riding day with the clutch the engine stalled a few times when I drove in second gear and let the rpms drop in order to make a turn and at that time I pulled the clutch in order to make a gear change. So I thought it had something to do with me pulling the clutch (lever) while the Rekluse is slipping it. Today however the engine stalled when i drove in third in a straight line and just closed the throttle and then let the bike slow down and the Rekluse disengage the clutch. At the moment the rpms where as low as near idle the bike stalled suddenly. I could replicate this behavior but not all the time and only in third gear. Doing the same in second or fourth (or first) did not stall the bike.

So that where two issues in the first two days driving with this clutch. I use the springs that where installed on delivery. They are the medium set i believe (mixed). I'm not sure how to proceed with this.
  10. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Did you check for burrs on the ramps and such? Mine worked well till it didn't. I then rebuilt it. "A Clutching Tale".
  11. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go aalllll the way back to post #175. (Page 9)

Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider. Send him a PM with your question.

He installed mine, and I'm sure he has a LOT of miles with his Rekluse.
  12. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I didn't take a look yet. The bike is barely reassembled, I just took my second short drive. Since the clutch has barely 300 miles on it I assumed it shouldn't be ready for a rebuild yet. I did get me some spare Teflon pads a few weeks back. But I do understand you think there must (already) be something wrong with the inner workings of the rekluse. Well, that's promising :D
  13. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you followed and completed the run-in procedure? The Rekluse on my 500 EXC was a little tight until I had done the full run-in and then re-tuned it. After that there were no issues :)
  14. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I'm not aware of a run-in procedure? I did re-adjust (re-tune) the clutch several times in order to try to fix the stalls, but that's all I did.
  15. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    What springs do you guys use with this clutch? I'm using a mix of the red and blue ones. That stands for "medium".
    Since I did also try an adjustment with too much slip and the bike still stalled on me this isn't going to cure my current problem, but I'm wondering if using heavier springs wouldn't be better. That creates more slip.
  16. Viking84

Viking84 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the manual, nothing complicated but mine did require some re-adjustment after this:

Once you have the bike idling with first gear

engaged, slowly apply the throttle to begin
    moving. To break-in the clutch components it
    is best to perform some roll on starts, without
    using the clutch lever, in 2nd and 3rd gear. In

2nd gear, accelerate moderately to
    approximately 5000 RPM and come to a
    stop—repeat this 20 times. Next, starting in
    3rd gear, accelerate moderately to

approximately 5000 RPM then come to a
    stop—repeat this step 10 times.

Basically just a few accelleration and braking drills, to wear in the disc. Can't harm to try following that procedure, then re-adjusting and seeing if it smooths out :)
  17. SONICJK

SONICJK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love my rekluse.
    I'm building a carrier for the back of the RV to lug this heavy monster around the country and DAMN does the rekluse make it easy to load. Stand beside it with the bike in first and just drive it up the ramp, no worries about trying to balance the bike over your head standing on one leg trying to work the clutch and the gas at the same time. It's majestic.
    eddyturn likes this.
  18. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I did take the EXP out of the bike. I'll post some pictures: @Reaver and @ebrabaek, what do you guys think by the look of these?
    I took two rides with it, just a few hundred miles. I don't see metal shiverings or something like that. I do see that the ramps by the teflon pads are rough but don't know if that's not how it is supposed to be.
    I am going to install only blue springs in order to try to prevent the stalls.

Peter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Why do all the pads look blackened? I don't like the first pic where there's black lines between the friction material. You have the correct number of discs in there? Looks like it's too tight so it can't release.

Yes, go all blue springs after you clean that up.
  20. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I don't know why they are black. Didn't even know that they aren't supposed to be ;)
    My BMW dealer did the install while I was laying on my back from my injuries. I shall check that they used the correct number of discs.
    Thanks Reaver!