Rekluse Auto Clutch for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Watch the video on the Rekluse site and double check everything as you reinstall it.
  2. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Will do :thumb
    Already found the one from Erling on youtube also.
  3. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I also should replace the pads.
  4. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I just removed the clutch pack. Then read the installation manual and checked that the clutch pack is as described in the manual. It is. I measured the used oem discs and they where also as instructed. I then watched the video from Erling. That told the same with the exception that the manual states that the oem friction disc that has to be reused is the one with the narrow tabs and the widest of the two (there are two narrow-tabbed oem friction discs and one is different from the other). The installation my dealer did was spot on as per the manual.

On the Rekluse site isn't the link to the installation video working anymore. They did have another video talking about exp inspection. In that video he mentions that the pads can get tinted and even black when the oil is dirty. I can't imagine how my oil could be dirty because it just had it's 1000 kms service (at that time the rekluse was installed also). The oil I see isn't dirty.

The teflon pads are nearly flush with the ramps. I do wonder when is it that they are too thin. Is what I see normal thickness or is it not enough. As per the rekluse exp inspection video I'm going to assume it's good enough.

That leaves me with no solution, except for trying the blue springs. Hmmm :hmmmmm
  5. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    After my last post it occurred to me that I didn't check the movement of the individual ramps, as shown in the inspection video. I just did that test. One of the ramps isn't playing ball. It's difficult to push out and sometimes it's sticky. When I look at that ramp I don't see anything strange. All the other ramps are sliding fine. Tomorrow I'm going to inspect this further. I believe the problem has been partially found. I hope that I can find what is wrong with that ramp or the exp body.
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    PK. For sure you have something going wrong in there. It is great that you took it apart right away.
    A few things first. With the low miles you have on it, I am surprised to see how black your teflon pads are. After several thousand miles on mine, they still looked clean. Not just o the pads, but there appears to be material deposited on the edges of the teflon pads. Only material you have in there are the fibrous discs, and the fiber material on the EXP.
    Second..... What are those brown rings on the EXP.....
    [​IMG]

First thing first. Go back and look at the install manual, and make sure you have everything where it belongs. When your done with that... Look again.
    My guess is that you are burning fibers somehow.

Regarding the sharp ramps. Have a look here:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rekluse-auto-clutch-for-the-8gs-how-it-is-installed.968251/

Basically you take a very fine, and I mean fine file to the corners of the ramp. You want every thing to ride smooth.

Let us know how the above goes.
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should always go with the OEM video. Remember I was along for the ride from the beginning, and saw the clutch evolve, but then I switched bikes, and they have made several modifications.
  8. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks Erling. I'll keep you guys posted.
  9. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Well, I brought the Rekluse back to the dealer who is going to send it to the importer here in Holland for evaluation. This is going to take a while. In the meantime I'm gonna install the stock clutch.
  10. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are "great" photos! Really well-detailed close-ups. So good that, if it were me, I would call Rekluse on Monday, and ask a tech guy if you could text them to him for an opinion. Since the dealership did the install, it is going to be covered on way or the other. I hope. I mean...it should. Maybe? Good luck!
    pklop likes this.
  11. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    The dutch importer did replace my EXP. They agreed on that it wasn't operating properly and exchanged it. I haven't build it into my bike. That's not going to happen anymore since today I sold my bike.
  12. Lost-n-Lovin-It

Lost-n-Lovin-It Lurker

Oddometer:
    Looks like Rekluse is no longer listing a clutch for the F800GS on their web page. It would be a shame if they discontinued these, because I absolutely love mine.

Hopefully they are just phasing out the old EXP design and replacing it with the new RadiusX line.

Anyone out there have any info on this?
  13. Trekka273

Trekka273 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just checked their website and it shows the RadiusX as being available for the F800GS, it doesn't show the EXP design as being available.
    Lost-n-Lovin-It likes this.
  14. sensor330

sensor330 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a problem with my rekluse an it was replaced in a timely manner from the company. The new radius x model still uses the EXP 3.0 disk and includes everything you need to replace the OEM clutch.
    Lost-n-Lovin-It likes this.
  15. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the EXP and am very uncomfortable with the static cable tension, anyone else have the feeling that this is problematic? I've used Rekluse before on a race bike YZ250 and it was magic but the
    clutch cable/lever had static freeplay.
  16. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it's an old post, but I installed the Magura Hymec hydraulic conversion on my wife's 650. In her words, "This thing is amazing".
  17. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this eliminated the cable? Then how does it pre-load the clutch pack??
    Thanks!
    jw
  18. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you research how the magura system works?
  19. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well yes, and I've had several OEM hydraulic clutches...just wondering how they "pre engage" the Rekluse as required?
    Magura supplies what looks like a rod at the slave cylinder for the cable lever at the cover, does/did the Magura SS come with enough
    adjustment, or ??
    Did you install both the Rekluse and the Magura yourself?
  20. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just at the recluse web site, they have a disclaimer that the recluse has not been proven to work with hydraulic clutch conversions.
    I guess there is a problem with the amount of travel needed for the recluse to work properly.
    If this Hydraulic conversion doesn't help with my wife's problem, I will order the recluse and see how I can modify the magura clutch conversion to work with it. I have access to a machine shop and all I need to try to get these to play nice with each other.