Rekluse Auto Clutch for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by toro618, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, got it.
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The radiusX is the replacement of the EXP for the 8GS.
  3. fattyboombatty

fattyboombatty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all - I am actually looking to move to this technology as I am finding one of the main issues with my riding is stalling in first and second gear in technical terrain - thinking this should help

From looking at the Rekluse site, it appears that there is a new model for the F800GS - the RadiusX. It's not immediately apparent what the difference is between this and the old EXP Clutch Kit, but I have found the following:
    - Most places selling the clutch kit both here in Australia and overseas are selling the old EXP model - RMS-6305B.
    - The new RadiusX is model - RMS-6305D
    -
    From looking at the Fiche for the two different models the Radiusx comes with an extra friction disc: 469-066A FRICTION DISK - BMW F800 Narrow-Tab
    - The 9 standard frictions discs have a new model number - 469-233A FRICTION DISK - S450 TORQ-DRIVE - 2-Segment Pads
    - The Radiusx also has 3 extra drive plates on top of the 9 that come standard with the EXP - 466-607A DRIVE PLATE - 0.060 BMW F800GS

Fiches here:
    https://rekluse.com/support/parts/?itemId=RMS-6305B
    https://rekluse.com/support/parts/?itemId=RMS-6305D

So - it appears the new RadiusX model has some significant changes over the older model, supposedly improving performance. There's an (annoying) video discussing the changes here:

Given that there's a new model, and I'm looking at spending close to $1K for this setup, I'd like to make sure I'm getting the latest and greatest. The official distributor here in Aus told me today that he had just received an email from Rekluse last night stating the upgrade is just a branding change, and they would still continue to sell the older model as the RadiusX. I have had to argue with them about the different parts in models with them insisting that Rekluse has told them they are the same. I don't get the feeling they're trying to pull a dodgy, but I would rather get what I'm paying for.

Update: the local distributor has agreed to put an order in for me for the new model. I'll have to wait a month but as long as I get the new model I'll be happy

Hope this helps a bit
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    what's the upgrade to the CX ?
  5. fattyboombatty

Oddometer:
    Bit of a follow on to my last post

Finally heard back from the distributor saying he got the updated clutch - and as a bonus it's an even newer model - the 6305E.

Checking the parts fiche the only difference to the D model is part 69.2:
    "D" model: 469-233A FRICTION DISK - S450 TORQ-DRIVE - 2-Segment Pads
    "E" model: 469‐333A FRICTION DISK ‐ S450 TORQ‐DRIVE ‐ 2‐Segment Pads

Not sure what the difference is - I've sent them an email to find out.
    EDIT: Received the following from Rekluse
    "We introduced new equipment to our friction disc assembly line. The letter lets us know that the friction was bonded before or after. Function and performance is the same. Were just getting better and faster at making the discs."

Looking forward to trying it out
  6. CobraSnakeNecktie

CobraSnakeNecktie Coachella Valley SoCal 2014 F800gs

Oddometer:
    Is the ReKluse considered a "slipper clutch" ?

Does it change engine braking? wheel hop?

Does it rattle as much in idle as OEM clutch?
  7. fattyboombatty

Oddometer:
    Worth noting as well that the new RadiusX model is a complete clutch pack. You no longer use a couple of plates from the OEM pack, it's all provided as TorqueDrive product included in the Radius
  8. fattyboombatty

Oddometer:
    BEWARE

So finally getting around to installing. I went in to have a look at the guts, and promptly broke 4 of the 1/4 turn pins! Those things are fragile as hell, and the only mention in the installation manual is:

"To change springs, remove 3 of the ¼-turn pins from one side of the EXP, replace springs, and re-install ¼-turn pins."

No mention the pins are like butter and the clutch needs to be elevated for the pins to clear the disc on removal. They do provide two extra pins, but given I need 4 I'm stuck till the supplier is back from holidays. Hopefully they are readily available.
  9. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    You break one, you swear. You break two and you figure out what you're doing wrong. You break 4, well nevermind.
  10. fattyboombatty

Oddometer:
    I am not a clever man
  11. pklop

pklop Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    You did realize that you have to push those pins down before/while turning them?
  12. fattyboombatty

Oddometer:
    Yes - but I thought the mechanism was internal, not external as the pins are. With the clutch sitting flat on my desk, I pushed the pin in and turned - the top came out just fine with no resistance given how fragile the pins are, no idea anything broke. Flipped it over and did the other 3 pins the same way. No indication of any issue until I pulled the plates apart and the little pin ends scattered. Surprisingly, 2 of the pins came out intact and undamaged.

Complete stupidity on my part. Despite looking at the fiche and reading the instructions I did not clue in to the design of the pins. In my defence I'm on an Optislim VLCD diet in prep for surgery and my head is all over the place. There is a warning picture right in the instructions that I did not even look at. I am not currently riding due to light-headedness and lack of balance

At any rate, hopefully I can order replacement pins of the distributor when he's back from holidays and we shall never speak of this again
    pklop likes this.
  13. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Realise that this was mentioned last year, but are the Rekluse kits now being offered for the F8's now all the Radius X models ? It still seems to be described as an EXP 3.0 everywhere I look. Is this the same thing ? I have emailed Revzilla and Rekluse but not heard anything back from them yet.
    I want to know if I will be ordering a kit with a full clutch pack or still need to reuse some of the OEM plates........
  14. GGSS

GGSS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rekluse released the Radius X to replace the EXP 3.0 in 2017. Revzilla has the old 3.0 model in stock. Radius X does not reuse any stock plates.
  15. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are there any performance benefits to the newer set-up?

I ask because the Rekluse on my 800 has never been as good as the one on my KTM 450. I don't think it was the install. One of the 800 beta testers in my area put mine on. He had taken his on/off so many tmes he could do it in hs sleep, and he had ridden with every conceivable adjustment.
  16. GGSS

GGSS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Radius X is supposed to offer better clutch performance because there are more (thinner) plates and lighter lever feel. I have the EXP 3.0 in my KTM 300xc and believe they offer similar performance. It is kinda hard to compare the two because the KTM has a hydro cutch, geared for trail riding and is over 200lbs lighter.
  17. dpike

Oddometer:
    installed a radius x on my wife's f7 went in pretty quick without any install issues.

adjusting freeplay took a little bit tho..
    when i adjust it as per their spec i'm almost out of thread, is this common ?
    [​IMG]

also when i put the bike into first gear on the center stand the rear wheel spins, i was under the assumption that it wasn't suppose to cycle up and spin until 2200 rpm and the clutch engages ?
  18. GGSS

GGSS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a few more threads showing than that on my 2010 800gs with radius x. I would adjust a bit looser for the first few rides. Loose adjustment is better than over tight.

99229EBE-0E78-4376-9CA9-4F0D87456D5B.jpeg
    dpike likes this.
  19. dpike

Oddometer:
    Thanks I appreciate it. Confirmed with tech this morning as well.
  20. longbedbob

longbedbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the entire thread and had a few questions.

1. Is the engine braking the same or less?
    2. If I do somehow stall going uphill, will I roll downhill backward?