Rekluse for F750GS / F850GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bobwolff68, Jan 30, 2020.

1. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried out the Rekluse auto clutch on the 850 or 750? It's a bit pricey, but I have been so crazy-happy with my WR250R after adding the Rekluse that I'm thinking about it for the 850. While I can do "clutchless shifts" with the OEM slipper/auto clutch on the 850, it won't do all that the Rekluse does with regards to no-stall and such. Anyone with thoughts, opinions, or direct experience with the product on this bike?

https://rekluse.com/product/radiusx-clutch/

Thanks,
    bob
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. burangs

burangs Javenturer

Oddometer:
    I installed one in my 850GSA. I love everything about it. The only real hurdle was releasing the clutch lever the first time!
  4. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to the 800 thread - a good read. I'm hoping not to be that guy though. :D He had a bit of an 'experience' gah.

@burangs What was your experience like in installing it on the 850? And what do you mean about releasing the clutch the first time being a hurdle?

bob
  5. burangs

burangs Javenturer

Oddometer:
    Bob,

I'll answer the second question first. I suppose "releasing the clutch" was intended literally and figuratively. The very first slow release at idle with the bike in gear ... your mind says: DON'T DO IT! --as you anticipate the lurch and stall. As you adapt, you have, well, released yourself from the clutch. I suppose the real hurdle is keeping bikes separate in your head, should you have more than one. As I jump back and forth between the Rekluse bike and others, I have to remember the clutch. After 40+ years, I default to using the clutch and I have grabbed it in slow, tight maneuvers when I should have just let the Rekluse do its thing.

Installation was pretty straightforward. No need to drain the oil with the bike on the side stand. Make sure to note the fastener locations on the cover as (2) two of them require reuse of a washer. The cover required a surprising pry as it is sealed with a smear and not a gasket, though one is provided for installation. Clean up both mating surfaces before refit. Next, I'd probably lay out the Rekluse in order of installation so that you get the plate order correct. There are some slight thickness differences and I used a mic to be certain. You will also need an in-lb torque wrench. Once installed, I removed the plastic cover over the lower cable adjuster and left it off. I first dialed out at the lever to an acceptable "mid" position and then backed off the lower adjuster. I went back and forth a few times until the bike wanted to just crawl at idle, stopping with dragged boots. I replaced the lower cover and so far, the bike has only required the very slightest adjustment at the lever.

HTH,

Jeff
    slawthecyclist and SnickterP like this.
  6. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh - releasing the clutch - indeed when I put a Rekluse on my WR250R I had similar trepidation! :D

Thanks so much for this write-up on your installation experience. This is exactly what I was hoping to get from someone! The price is still holding me back, but I have an upcoming trip of the WABDR in July and that's making me feel it would be super helpful to have on the bike then.

bob
  7. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much of a jerk is there as you take off?

I had a Rekluse in my Harley and it needed to spin up a bit before the clutch engaged, thus there was a bit of a jerk taking off.

Maybe because the idle on a Harley is like 850RPM?
  8. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my wife's f700gs, there is no jerk at all. Very smooth, sometimes a bit of a shudder, but usually not.
    sieg likes this.
  9. burangs

burangs Javenturer

Oddometer:
    I agree. No jerkiness at all. It is just a fluid twist and go. Sounds like the free play gain was not set correctly.
  10. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to adjust it to not have a jerk but then the bike would creep forward at idle.

I figured that would ruin the clutch during long stops, but maybe it wouldn't?
  11. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I did like about it was the launches were perfect. No human could ever modulate a clutch that perfectly.

I dunno how long it would take to unlearn pulling in the clutch at stops, but I never got used to it.

And if you did unlearn, then the next time you rode a regular bike you'd be in trouble!
  12. burangs

burangs Javenturer

Oddometer:
    Roger. You want the idle creep —set to stop with just light boot drag.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  13. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Putting the Rekluse RadiusX in my 850 today - did the clutch pack / basket work this evening. Didn't have time to finish off the adjustments and try it out. Hope to before the weekend. Went super well. Good instructions from Rekluse. I also had the GoPro going and narrated it. If I didn't screw up the video somehow, I'll post an edited version of the whole thing including the final adjustments and such in a few weeks but I'll update on how things went (hopefully) this weekend.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  14. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the detailed videos of my disassembly and installation of my Rekluse in my F850GS. The adjustment video is still being edited. Let me know thoughts. Was pretty straight forward with a few hiccups.

Disassembly

Installation

Enjoy!
    Bob
    Xyzzy likes this.
  15. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And the final in the series - Adjustment of the Rekluse. Including the things that aren't in the manual since I ran into a bit of trouble.

16. TexasMule

TexasMule Float away ya fairy... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Bohemian Rhapsody in the background.... :^)
  17. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sigh - yeah didn't realize it was going to cause me such trouble with YouTube. Had to play special games in the editing software to drown it out enough. Lesson learned! :baldy
  18. KSbinder

KSbinder idiot

Oddometer:
    Great videos man, only ridden one cycle with a rekluse and I wasn’t even aware they made a kit for these. Definitely going to get this kit once the world snaps out of this lunacy
    bobwolff68 likes this.