1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Rella Update - CLOSED!

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Jun 24, 2016.

1. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    [EDIT: Rella decided to close the diner on 01 July 2016. See Post #16 below.]

After seeing the news reports out of Webster County and other parts of southern WV, I was concerned for our good friend Rella (owner/chef/local historian of Rella's Diner) and called her.

She is doing fine. The electricity was out for only about 2 hours. There were some small/medium rocks that washed down the hillside by her trailer, but nothing to worry about. Typical of Rella, she was more concerned about others in the area than herself. She was glad to hear that we were thinking of her. I asked if she needed anything and she said no.

Rella says "Hi" to everyone!

Please pray for everyone in southern WV (and other areas) that have been hit hard the past week. It's suddenly 1985 all over.

ON A SIDE NOTE: Last week when I stopped, she was debating whether to spend $100 on getting another 1-year permit for the diner. On one hand, she said she likes to visit with guests and does not want to just sit around her house. On the other hand, she said business has been slow and, being a Great-Great-Grandma, she has slowed down a bit too. The long days wear her out. I suggested maybe she wants to just be open weekends - Friday/Saturday/Sunday - and then take 4 days off. She seemed to think that might be good. Well, tonight when I talked to her, she didn't think she would spend $100 to get the permit. QUESTION: I'd be willing to chip in $$. Would anyone else? If you think you would like to help buy her permit for the year (so she can open on the weekends or whenever she wants), please PM me with an appx $$ amount so I can see if we can scrape together $100. Her current permit runs out at the end of June. Thanks!

JaxObsessed and BLZ2DWL like this.
  2. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    We came through birch river and across 82 on our way to snowshoe last night and birch river was devastated by flooding. Massive mudslides all across 82, sections of road blasted away. The go mart off 19 was roped off, looked like there was at least 4ft of water running through there. The mud on the fence at the recycling center was about 5.5' high. Probably 6" of mud still in the road.

Be aware if you are planning on riding through that area. It's bad really bad. There were also areas damaged by micro burst or tornados. Huge lines of trees uprooted and lines just snapped off half way up. Sections of road undercut and will probably collapse.

Webster springs didn't look too bad. I've heard richwood was hit very hard as well.

Section of rt66 collapsed at snowshoe as well.

Be aware of where you get gas as well I'm sure a lot of stations got water in their tanks.
  3. wvJwaii

wvJwaii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the road report. My oldest is working at the baptist church camp in Cowen and I need to drive him back tomorrow. I was planning on taking 82 back to Cowen. He had a couple of extra days off so I left Elkins after work @ 9pm Wednesday to pick him up, knowing that I probably didn't want to be on the roads Thursday morning.
    Jane Lew had heavy rain Thursday morning but were spared the rest of the storms that pummeled the state further south.
  4. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to come up from the Roanoke area to go camping at Lake Sherwood this weekend, and then head north to PA. Rella's was on my list to visit, but now I'm concerned about the roads. Anyone know anything about 92, 39, 219, or 15?

And yes, I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks.
  5. wvdirtbiker

wvdirtbiker MILES2GO

Oddometer:
    92 was open Sunday afternoon but it took me 50 minutes to get through White Sulphur Springs going west. If you are coming out of VA from the east and get off at the first WSS exit, you should be OK.
  6. Gabby

Gabby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday in Birch River helping a friend's folks. They had 4 feet of water in the house and it sits higher than a lot of places there. Their house is directly across the field behind Coffman's. Everything they own was covered with what can be described as chocolate pudding. Sure didn't smell like it though. Lost everything but the clothes on their backs and one vehicle.. Sad...
  7. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Wonder if Buffalo Creek got up and flooded Widen? Dad taught there in the early '30s, and have seen a number of pix of flooding there a number of years ago.
  8. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    WEDNESDAY LUNCH AT RELLA'S

I called Rella and she will be open tomorrow (Wednesday 29 June), and she said road access is good to/from the north by Buckhannon and Rock Cave. Coming from the south may be otherwise.

Anybody want to meet up for lunch, I will be there late morning - probably 10:30 or 11:00 and leaving by noon since I have to get back home and get ready for foot surgery the next morning.
  9. wvJwaii

wvJwaii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could join you Mike, but I lightly punctured my hand with a roofing nail this afternoon and should probably get a tetanus shot in the morning. Have a piece of pie for me!
    FYI: Sunday my kids and I traveled from Cowen to Buckhannon on Rt. 20 and the road is open all the way, much better shape than Rt. 82. I told the kids we would stop for pie, but she was closed as we went by.
    pnoman likes this.
  10. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    An acquaintance from Helvetia posted this on FB:

pnoman and wvdirtbiker like this.
  11. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    My question was answered earlier today from a FB video post a Widen resident put up showing a good portion of the town under 1-3 feet of water.
  12. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    RELLA UPDATE:

I stopped by for lunch yesterday (Wednesday) and Rella was doing OK. There were a few local incidents of minor flooding damage, but her property was OK.

Business has been very slow, and Rella was sad about that. She has decided to get the permit for another year, but only open Fri-Sat-Sun each week, and maybe May thru October (or the ramp dinner). That gives her a chance to have people in, but she isn't tied down every day.

Several people contacted me to donate towards her $100 permit for the year. I told Rella about this and she was very grateful. I said I would collect the $$ and send her a check in a couple of weeks. I will be contacting those who PM'd me. If you would like to contribute, just PM me. Any additional over the $100 can be used for supplies for the diner.

Thanks.
    Guy Young and BLZ2DWL like this.
  13. velofish

velofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this. I'm thinking of heading down Saturday.
    pnoman likes this.
  14. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Had my foot surgery this morning at Clarksburg VA hospital. Went well, but they found more than expected. Looks like I'll be off my feet for about 2 weeks - no driving, no motorcycle, no running, just a little walking. Pretty sore right now, but it's been hurting since February. Hopefully, this hurt will go away in a week or two so I can get back to riding and running.

Glad I went down to see Rella yesterday since it will be awhile now.

Guy Young likes this.
  15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get down there this weekend. Wife is out of town and I'm dog sitting our 4 legged kids for the next week tho.
  16. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    OFFICIAL: RELLA'S IS CLOSED

I just spoke to Rella (Friday 01 July 2016 at 9:30am) and since I saw her on Wednesday, she has talked with her daughter Jeaneace and decided NOT to get the permit, and has closed her doors for the public effective today, 01 July 2016. There were issues with the well water system that would have needed attention, and along with other issues, made staying open a challenge.

Rella wanted me to thank EVERYONE on ADV for their friendship and support over the years. She said she will probably "hang out" up in the diner trailer during the day to get out of the house and visit with people, so if anyone is riding by, stop in and say hi. If you would like to call her or send her a note, please PM me and I will share that info.

FOR THOSE WHO JUST SENT ME PAY-PAL DONATIONS THIS WEEK - I will be going in today and trying to click "Refund" on the site. I've not used paypal very much so I'm not too familiar with it. If that doesn't work, I will PM you for an address that I can send you a check.
  17. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :(
  18. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    :cry
  19. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    No kidding; there are no words.
  20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually only get there a couple times a year.
    But knowing she won't be open it just seems like something else we've lost.
    Don't know how else to describe it.