Removing stripped carb bowl screws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Moparmanpete, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is what the PO left me to deal with.
    4 out of 4 bowl screw heads stripped out :cry
    Well looking back on what few experiences I have had at my young age I do have enough common sense to prevail.

Step Number 1 Research and learn from others experiences, Well you are here reading this so Check!

Now go buy that easy out you were thinking about and when you get home throw it away :lol3

Next find a drill bit about 1/4 inch (preferrably worn out) grind it to a chisel point, BUT be sure to flaten the tip just alittle bit so it will not just cut into the screw head.
    [​IMG]

Now find a very small hammer (BIGGER IS NOT BETTER IN THIS CASE!) a smaller hammer will require more taps and will do alot less damage if you become an over acheiver.

Just begin slowly and start tapping away, Pick THREE equal spots around the screw head and work each one alittle bit and then move to the next one. BE SURE YOU ARE TRYING TO TURN THE SCREW THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

Nice thing about the drill bit is the very pointed corners that allow you to dig in to the side of the screw head for the best progress.

Just tap ,tap, and tap some more and it will come out. A positive additude will make things go alot smoother.
    If you find yourself tired of taping and really want to smack it, think about how much a new carb will cost :evil

[​IMG]

Best of luck
    Pete
  2. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i get those out by using needle nose visegrips, get a bite on the screw from the side and they should break loose.
    wee-twin, sieg and Zuber like this.
  3. the_babaji

the_babaji Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 that's the answer, I even reassemble them with the visegrips

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
  4. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed. You're welcome.
    sieg likes this.
  5. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive used a Dremel tool and thin cutting disc to make a slot for a flat blade screwdriver. emti
    sieg and orforester like this.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Done that plenty. Usually, though, they come out with a PROPER #2 JIS screwdriver being leaned on.
  7. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1.

other solutions:
    cut tiny slot with a small sharp chisel on the edge of the head, then use same chisel and a hammer in slot, hit screw head perpendicular to face in ccw direction. it only needs to turn 1/8 turn or so to become loose..
    or with proper screwdriver in place, give screwdriver a sharp rap with hammer on end to 'shock' loose the oxidation on screw head face/threads .
    or with flat end punch mash the head a bit, this shocks the threads/head face loose and reshapes the head a bit to give screwdriver more bite., then insert proper screwdriver.

i've never needed to drill one out. i stay away from ez-out's. i have seen the aftermath.
  8. Puchy

Puchy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a real small pair of channelock type pliers about 3 or4 inches long-work great.
    sieg likes this.
  9. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went through this as well. made up a batch of the fabled 50/50 ATF/Acetone cure-all, took a shot of the pink stuff myself for fortitude, then applied the rest to the screws. A little heat from the tip of a soldering iron, and the damn things practically fell out.

okay, I didn't drink the ATF, but I did use a little 10cc insulin syringe that was left over from an old cat that needed injections. Those little syringes have been really useful around the shop.
  10. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes. I can see getting it done once, but after that, I don't see a cat willingly sticking around to get stuck again. Have your scars faded yet?
  11. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    thread drift... but seriously, a little subcutaneous injection in the scruff of their neck goes basically unnoticed. The needles are tiny, and there's no real meat back there for them to get pissed about. I swear, it's 100x easier than trying to give an oral dose of medication. Like, they don't even give a shit about it, especially if followed closely by a bit of tuna. I've had to do it with two cats over the years, and I would now request an inject-able form of medicine over oral if available if I ever had to medicate again.
  12. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once you get the screws out, take one to the local Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a set of allen screws to replace them with. They are in the hardware section in a pull out bin.
    enduro0125, wee-twin and X5- like this.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I use vicegrips on everything,I even catch my self using them in the bathroom. Not the needlenose of course.
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I injected saline solution in the scruff of the neck of an old dehydrated cat,the local cat hospital wanted 1200.00 for overnight observation.!!!!!!!*****$$$^^^^^&&&&&&&&:rofl

GF held kitty down,I injected the saline,cat got better and went another 5 years at least to maybe age 22.
  15. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    This is what went through my mind as I read the OP. Those screws are always soft, and need to be chucked the first time they are pulled out of the carbs.
  16. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    teeny tiny sharp chisel. Position corner of chisel on side of screw facing counter clockwise direction. Smack with small hammer. Chisel corner will dig into screw, and crack it loose. All that slot grinding etc is a waste of time, this works every time and just takes a second.
  17. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hardest part about this method is finding a way to keep the carb stationary while you hammer. Depending on the carb, there's often not an awesome way to clamp it.
  18. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    You don't really have to clamp it down. Just lay it on a piece of rubber or something similar, hold it down with the heel of the chisel hand, and swat the chisel with a small hammer. The shock will break it loose.
  19. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    +1
  20. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been getting replacement allen head screws at my local hobby shop.Seems that they use small screws on r/c planes.