Remus - with or without CAT?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by munichboy, Jun 12, 2004.

1. munichboy

munichboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided that I gotta have me a carbon-fibre Remus Exhaust as in the picture. Options are with or without CAT.

The man from Remus says:

If your motorbike has got catalysts, you should have to use exhausts with catalysts.
    Otherwise you have to correct the registration papers and to cancel the use of catalysts.
    From the year 2006 there will be a different tax for motorbikes with and without catalyst.
    At least: There are no adjustments at the carburettor required.

Whereas my local dealer (near Munich) says it doesn't matter about changing paperwork. Prices are 1030 Euros with the CATS and 850 Euros without. (thats about $1240 and £$1,020).

So my questions are:

1. Will it make much difference (apart from the costs) if I have with or without the CATS? Changing paperwork here in Germany is complicated, and if I crash with something incorrect on the bike it could get tricky.

2. Seen lots of posts recommending raising the needles even on the stock models - the Remus in theory should let it breath better so should I override the nice man from Remus?

Jonathan.

Attached Files:

2. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Assuming your user name, it would be best to contact www.ktm-sommer.de/ and ask them or perhaps KTMax will give you an answer on that one.
  3. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    I posted a needles / Sommer comment in your other thread, Munichboy. The 'Sommer' mods are OK as fas as TüV is concerned. And I think that's what you're referring to, don't you? The short answer: go there, get it!

The exhausts are a different story: you should get TüV-approved exhausts of course, but how legislation will be on keeping/removing cats is not clear yet, as far as I know. The TüV should be able to give you an answer on whether this will be a topic in the near future. Maybe the removal of the cat should be entered in your 'Fahrzeugschein'.

Things are also unclear in Holland, because there is no TüV for motorcycles in Holland, so how could they tell you don't or do have something?
  4. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Man I though we had TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT in Ca you guys across the pond have it really bad!!!
  5. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    w/ or without cats also affects the sound i would think. The Remus w/ insert in and no cat is louder than Akras. But you dont have to repack the Remus. I pulled the insert out and the bike was noticeably faster but too loud.
  6. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Akra's with the inserts are ABE approved (with E-mark stamped on them) and - according to Sommer - streetlegal in Germany. :nod

Sommer doesn't remove any 'plumbing' or stuff. They only disable the EPC system. With both my bikes I had to tell them specifically to remove the parts too and I had to re-confirm this again to the mechanic once he was about to remove the EPC system. They feel it doesn't make sense to remove it as long as you disable it. And they're right. I just want to get rid of all the 'unnecessary' parts I can. So when they were done I got a nice plastic bag with EPC parts, hoses, valves'n other thingies...
  7. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Sp PeeBee and KTMax.............is there a significant improvement in the bike post-surgery on the EPC?
  8. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    Well, the EPC adds some air to the mixture form the carbs when you're going full throttle in the first three gears (as far as I know). Just to make shure the bike complies to emission standards in those gears.

So without EPC, the mixture will be richer/less lean, the environment will suffer a little and your front wheel will go up in the air. More torque, more power in 1, 2 and 3.

KTMax, you're right. I checked the doggy bag from Sommer and there was no EPC stuff in there. I mixed it up with another bag from the dealer that contains all my Duke II EPC stuff.
  9. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    Just a small very pedantic point on EPC, to avoid future confusion and myth .
    The EPC system on the 950 doesnt add air to the mixture, it leaks air into the CV slide chamber, to slow the slides down. The chamber above the slides is subject to engine intake vacuum when throttle buttefrlys are opened, the intake vacuum sucks air out of the chambers (at a rate set by carb drillings etc) and the slides rise allowing more fuel (and air) into the engine. The Epc (when triggered) feeds air into the slide chamber, reducing the engine vacuum effect and this slows the slide rise down, therefore chokeing the engine and reduceing hp. Guess they wanted to save people from themselves from looping it in lower gears ? ;-)
  10. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that EPC was grafted on to meet European noise regulations?
  11. Robert Saunders

Robert Saunders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    call me weird but i actually LIKE quiet pipes. maybe i like sneaking in late at night without my neighbours or wife knowing (or caring). maybe noisy bikers spoil opportunities for the rest of us. i don't know, but if i wanted to be noticed i'd ride a Hardly Dangerous with tassles and a bandana. and if you believe "loud pipes save lives" you're closer to confirming the 26-times-higher-than-car bike fatality statistics than you probably want to be.

still, losing some weight, IMPROVING the sound, losing the catalytic conversion heat and possibly (dyno proofs?) gaining a bit of mid-range power is always tempting. So if i want after-market pipes towards the quieter side, which of DaVinci, Akros or Remus should i chose? By this thread so far, I assume Akros?
  12. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    The Akrapovics with the baffles in are nice and quiet (no louder than stock I think) and sound great. With the baffles out, they are moderately loud (but not obnoxious) and great. Take your pick. Don't know about the DaVinci or Remus.
  13. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Robert - sound was my least concern in the equation! I certainly don't really NEED new pipes but fancy some upgrades on my bike........fancy going kinda "Carbon Fibre" style! With luck the Remus will be lighter and let the bike breath a little better.

Hence my question as to "with or without". Being Austrian built exhausts to go with the bike itself I dont think the Remus should be much louder than stock (perhaps a bit).

Lots of people have the Akrapovics so I just wanted something a little less usual. I would not for example run the Akras with baffle removed!
  14. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    The Remus have a little more growl to them then the Akra's. I ran the aluminum Remus Revolution and I was told that the Ti Remus was a little more toned down, something to do with the material used of course. I've also heard the Carbon Remus Grand Prix and they had a very racey sound to them. All in all you can't go wrong with build quality with both these companies, it's just a matter now of what you can get away with where you live.
  15. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Yep, absolutely right Mac. :nod And to add a last one, it only works (or gets activated) at full throttle. And every 950 has EPC regardless modelyear or geography.
  16. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    And to add some more, EPC seems to work only in first and second gear.

BTW the same system is used on all LC4 (640 adv, 640 enduro and, if I correctely recall, 640 motard, aka "Prestige") equipped with CV carbs.
  17. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Well in the name of science I just tried a little experiment up and down the streets here - with and without the two EPC clips in place.

It was a crazy test 'cos the thing accelerates so damn quick with the throttle wide open in 1st and 2nd gear........whether the EPC is connected or not!

I think I was indeed redlining it quicker without the EPC and there was a bit more urgency - but frankly in my opinion the only place you could make use of extra power on this bike is in 3rd gear and above at say 100kph plus.

So for now I have left the EPC disconnected, but it proved to me how rarely I actually give it full throttle in 1st or 2nd gear - its just daft on those ratios.

Did I read somewhere that the Duke 950 will be 120bhp from this motor?
  18. PeeBee

Oddometer:
    125 fuel injected ponies :thumb
  19. tools

tools Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put on a pair of the Remus Titanium Grand Prix last week. Performance is better, but they are much louder than stock or Akras. I did a side-by-side comparison yesterday with Woodsrider. It is a beautiful exhaust note, but louder than I really wanted. They do drown out the sound of the radiator fan coming on, though.
  20. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i agree -even w/ the inserts they are a little too loud.