Remus - with or without CAT?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by munichboy, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I remember right the EPC only works in second and third gear.
  2. munichboy

munichboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tools - is that with or without catalysts fitted? Clearly then if I make the "tree-huggers" choice and stick with catalysts it is gonna be quieter.

I am guessing being in the US you went for the non-catalyst version? Again I am assuming you get a bung in the end like on the Akras, but this is different from having full Cats.
  3. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Stop Press - Ride July 2004 just arrived. They ran a product Test and Remus Revolutions came bottom with Akrapovics coming top.......might need a rethink here.
  4. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    That is simpy not true...All Euro models have it, but the true 2004 North American models do not.

I know, I've cleaned up my engine bay, and there never was EPC on my true 2004 model.
  5. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry Flanny but I think it is... :nod

Besides the old discussion about the ridiculous model year policy KTM USA seems to use - or sells to its dealers - there's only one 03 and one 04 model range. Maybe you have a very special bike but they all have EPC.

I always have the latest KTM dealer software running on my PC. I can look up every single part of any bike KTM has made since 1994 including prices. Both the 03 and 04 950s have EPC worldwide. Besides some small things like the headlight the biggest difference for US bikes is the charcoal filter assy below.

But apart from this, the US has about the toughest noise and emission regs of any country. Wouldn't make much sense not to put EPC on US bikes would it?

Attached Files:

6. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    the reason i got the remus was that the akras need to be repacked...pita....if i could do over i would think 1) ktm race pipes -no cat 2) akras
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    In what respect? Power? Sound? Build quality?

Can you quote their related comments here?
  8. munichboy

Oddometer:
    Its a 5 page article. Not specific to the KTM950 of course but rough results:

Remus Revolution £341 as tested
    Dyno 5/10
    Fitting 8/10
    Corrosion 7/10
    Overall: 20/30

Akrapovic Titanium £366 as tested
    Dyno 10/10
    Fitting 9/10
    Corrosion 8/10

They liked the removable baffle on the Akra and it showed the best results for DYNO improvements and was "gorgeously" made.

Remus said they were "surprised" as their cans normally do very well in head-to-heads.

I still prefer the look of the REMUS in black.
  9. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Remus also has a removable baffle.
    Curious to see how these results differ on the 950?
  10. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I look at the Spare Parts Manual 2004 that came with my bike. Page 19, EPC. Interestingly, the top right corner of the page say 950 (EU+AUS). Hmmm, seems to me that the US version just might not have an EPC. If it does, I haven't found it. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. One picture on these forums showed the top of the airbox off and said "these are the EPC cables". I seem to have those cables (or similar cables), but I don't see the EPC. Could you tell me EXACTLY how to know? Where to look? I'm thinking they ain't there, and that Flanny is correct.

I also want to ditch my cannister, but wading through all the posts have done nothing for me other than confuse me. I'm not sure WHAT to rip
    out, and how to plug/cover/put a check valve on/whatever with all those hoses. If someone is willing to give me a step by step for my GO!!!!!! bike,
    I'd be greatly indebted.
  11. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Well..what you think, and what is true are two different things in this particular case...I'm the owner of a North American 2004, and I'm telling you categorically it does not come with EPC. Period.

I would know, since I've been into the carbs more times than I care to recount. The carb vents to right to a Mikuni vacuum valve, and NOT through the EPC system. You actually show this right in the diagram you have posted...If it had EPC, the carb vents would go to the EPC, not to the vaccum valve shown. :nod

JIMBES knows....He's got it right in his manual, as do I...Do you think I'm just making this stuff up??? :huh

Look up your information again, and then re-post when you finally realize your error... :doh
  12. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Ha! Now this is getting interesting... :D

Re-checked my available sources and material again and I still think all you boys with the stars'n stripes have EPC.

Throughout the KTM software and Repair Manuals every little exception or deviation for a specific county or model is noted with strong emphasis. Not so for EPC. Not a single word, pic or drawing, nothing. When working on the carbs you don see or run into the EPC system. You say the carb vents (there's more than one BTW) run to Mikuni vacuum valve. What kind of vacuum valve is that? Are you sure these don't go to the vacuum valves from the EPC system located outside the airbox front & rear? Because that's exactly where they're supposed to go.

You could be right but then KTMs own info is pretty misleading. Let's dig in to solve this mistery now... :wink:

I've attached a few pics to see if we're talking about the same thing. First is part of the wiring diagram showing how EPC is connected electrically.

Attached Files:

13. KTMax

Oddometer:
    This is from the Repair Manual. Note that the EPC valve # 6 is the rear one located under the SAS valve. There's another EPC valve above the front cylinder.

Attached Files:

14. KTMax

Oddometer:
    This is a pic from Barba's bike I nicked from another thread. It just shows a part of the front EPC vacuum valve. At the left side above the dipstick and below the rear of Barba's second fan. The front EPC valve doesn't have to be exactly in this spot but close to it.

Attached Files:

15. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    You don't know when to give up do you?

All of the elements on your diagram are absend from North American bikes. #4 is not there, # 6 is not there. The holes in the sides of the air box are capped shut.

Believe what you will...I am in North America, and own and work on a North American model in real life.

IT DOES NOT HAVE EPC. PERIOD. NO IF, ANDS OR BUTS ABOUT IT.
  16. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't think you need to do any digging. WE DON'T HAVE THE EPC stuff. Your picture showing the one near the fan - not on MY bike! Go to KTM. They may have your answer. Something like "oops, we didn't make that clear". Because Flanny is right.
  17. jimbes

jimbes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, your pic with them in the airbox too. I DON'T have them. My dealer did not remove them, I did not remove them, the bike came to the dealer that way - WITHOUT THEM.
  18. KTMax

Oddometer:
    I'm just interested and trying to figure out where and how the differences between models are in a different way than shouting your bike doesn't have it. That's all. If it irritates you that much, just don't respond. No need need to get clever.

In the mean time I've found out that from 04 the US bike have different carb-tops (# 60031127000) than the euro bikes, without EPC. So yes your right, from 04 US bikes don't have EPC anymore.

Subject closed. :thumb
  19. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    It's all good.

:freaky
  20. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Please Move Back. The Shows over folks, time to go home....

:lurk :jomomma :nono :rad :rogue :flug

Man, it was just getting good! O Well, guess I learned something. :thumb