Renewing Brake Fluid

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by raffa, Mar 7, 2020.

1. raffa

raffa Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 F700GS and want to renew the brake fluid. Does bleeding ABS brakes require any special tools or is it the same as a non-ABS brake system?

Ralph
  2. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have done my 800 and my two 700s, just use the same old technique you like to use on non-ABS brakes and you should be fine.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here....these bikes actually need brake fluid changes and my 2014 reservoir was so full of whitish mud-debris that I removed it for proper cleaning. No issue getting the air out on either of our 2 bikes and that was 2 years back.
  4. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    I'd say ALL bikes need brake fluid changes... MCN stated in one of their issues that after 2 years, brake fluid has absorbed about 4% water, lowering the boiling point of DOT 4 brake fluid from "446 degrees F. to 311 degrees." Dave Searle also notes that at 8% water content (presumably after 4 years), DOT 4's boiling point will be all the way down to 212 degrees.
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm well aware of the theories, just doesn't jive with my experiences. Both of our F700 (2013/2014) had serious sediment form in the first year after purchase that required flushing and changeout....twice for both front and rear, in fact. I have several bikes, including a 2003 DRZ, which had its first fluid change after 16 years. I haven't noticed any difference since the fluid change and the system works perfectly, both before and after. I ride that DRZ down from 7,000 at very high speeds, dropping into tight switchbacks every couple of km and the brakes never let me down in any way(thankfully!)
    Anyway, I understand the theories but they simply don't match my experience, maintaining a plethora of vehicles over the last 50+ years.
  6. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    I think it's one of those things that you don't need it until you NEED it...

Changing brake fluid on these bikes takes such little time and expense, that it's worth it to me to do it during the winter lay-up. The ABS pumps don't seem to be a big problem on the Twins, but earlier year Boxers had some problems, mostly blamed on lack of maintenance. $8 in brake fluid every other year can save you thousands.

I also change out my car's brake fluid after a couple years too for the same reason... :lobby
  7. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't worry about the ABS pump but I flush and change the fluid twice as often to compensate, I do know that I can feel the difference with new fluid.
  8. PortugalGS

PortugalGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I changed the brake fluid on my 700GS. Changed and bleed as normal then I connect my GS911 and carry out the bleed procedure which operates the ABS pump.
    It helps that I have a GS911 as its extremely useful if you maintain the bike yourself.
    Just my opinion!
    drneo likes this.