Reno Dwellers....What is the area like?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Aces 6, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Down to Boise vs. Reno
    Moving from the SE but need to get West.
    Lived in the Bay Area and Sacramento for 25 years so familiar with Lake Tahoe and being 30 minutes from mountain biking and skiing is a major draw.

Full time remote so job not an issue.

What else is there to draw a person out side of no income tax?
  2. nrvale0

nrvale0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been doing similar research and will also be leaving the Bay Area (not Sac). The thing is ... both areas are starting to get ruined by Californians. From what I've seen, Reno is deteriorating faster than Boise but Boise isn't immune from it.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  3. dlock5

dlock5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great for all out door activities here in Reno/Tahoe area. Nevada is sliding slowly the way of Cali, but I think we're several years away from it. At least I hope so, I got 10 more year's to retirement lol. But it's a great place to live and ride the surrounding area's are amazing.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Always a matter of opinion. But I left CA 40 years ago. If leaving CA today I would probably pick Boise. On the plus side, Boise has a somewhat smaller town feel, in general is cleaner and greener. Reno isn't far behind in these areas and offers a little better connectivity via airport and interstates. But that obviously depends on where you want to connect to. For both cities, proximity to riding and other outdoor activities are enhanced/restricted by true 4 season weather. More similar than different IMO. FWIW
    Aces 6 and AZ TOM like this.
  5. 211john

211john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reno is right on the border so you can have all the California you want - for free.
    Aces 6, bdesj and dlock5 like this.
  6. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    > More similar than different IMO. <
    That's pretty much it. I like both areas, but Reno is and will always be "home" for me, so I have my prejudices. Tell you what- buy a house in each so you have a good excuse to travel between them often and your commute will be awesome! I love the dirt route when I ride up to visit friends and family in Nampa :-)
    Aces 6 likes this.
  7. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    I hear Reno is so close to hell you can see Sparks.
    Chillis, Aces 6 and dino702 like this.
  8. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    attn: @sharpie1

I've heard that....
  9. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But, it is dirt bike heaven.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Considering the same two cities myself, OP.
    I also am from Sac/Bay area but been in Seattle the last decade. I miss the sun!

True about getting the benefits of California but without paying.
    Housing is pretty high in Reno (from several years ago)and getting higher due to us former Californians, but way cheaper than Seattle. My equity would go a long way.

Job market in Reno hasn't caught up to housing prices but a non issue for remote employees.

Decisions...
    Aces 6 likes this.
  11. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the rundown.
    Working with two relators (Boise and Reno) and noticed that more inventory at a lesser price in Boise but its gone up 18% in last 18months and traffic issues have ballooned.
    Elevation about the same.
    Weather pretty darn close to the same.
    Good snow pack in 2019 helps Reno area for at least next three years but prior to that sustaining the humans in the area looked dire. Don't know if that should be a concern or not :hmmmmm

Good problem to have!
  12. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    That is a draw; 30 minutes from great mountain biking and skiing whereas Boise looking at 40-50 min to Bogus Basin (doesn't seem on par with a Northstar) or 2 hours to Sun Valley.
    Friends in Sacramento and grew up in the North Bay so only a 3.5-4 hour haul to visit family and the riding up past Winters/Berryessa to Sonoma County don't make it seem like a long haul at all!
    dlock5 likes this.
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    The Reno water situation wouldn't be a deciding factor for me. Drought talk flares up every few years. Hasn't had much impact beyond talk. FWIW
    Aces 6 likes this.
  14. dlock5

dlock5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Fernley or Carson are a little cheaper for housing than Reno or even Minden. And still close to great riding at the moonrocks or pine nuts or foresthill in Cali right over the hill. And close to professional sports in Vegas or Cali if you're in to that.
    Aces 6 likes this.